PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for August 2009

DarkSkies
08-01-2009, 05:47 PM
NY fishing reports for August 2009
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Vpass you won the plug in the June random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

vpass
08-01-2009, 07:48 PM
:wow:,Thanks DarkSkies.

strikezone31
08-02-2009, 12:31 PM
We had a nice day seabass fishing yesterday on some rocky pieces. Headed out of JI early, and the bass were hungry for the clams. Some up to 3#, it was a nice day on the water.

nitestrikes
08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I fished an inlet last night with bunker chunks and bucktail and pork on the other rod. One small bluefish, that's all she wrote. The water wasn't that bad after the rain, but I fished the incoming, don't know if the outgoing was weedy or not. Not that many people out there, which made it peaceful.

BassBuddah
08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Tried some bucktail and darter action Moriches area. It was a great night to be out, strong current and not too bad otherwise. Not much in the way of fish, one swing and a miss, that was it.

nitestrikes
08-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Did some recon for some NS fishing last night. I found a lot of bait, but not many fish. One bluefish around 2lbs on a bomber. I think as the bait builds up near some of the streams and tidal rivers things can only get better, or I hope they will.

plugginpete
08-08-2009, 07:06 PM
The Montauk bite is worth the trip fellas, though it's slowed down from last week. My buddy and I fished eels from 3-7am. We were in 20-25', and got 3 bass up to 25lbs. Kept the first two, +/-20lbs, put the other 1 back. Beautiful morning on the water.

plugginpete
08-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Some more great action out of Montauk. We fished eels this morning, and kept one bass each, 22 and 31#, released a half-dozen. I am getting a little worried about all the catches I saw come in the last 2 times we were out though. They are really slaying them, I wonder how many is enough?

crosseyedbass
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
They are really slaying them, I wonder how many is enough?

Enough will be enough when there are no big bass left.:D We hit the ocean this morning for some good seabass action in 40-70' of water. We caught a mess, and then finished up the day with some porgy action on the rocks. Those porgies are really getting big now.

pescador29
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
We fished SI on the tide coming in. There were a lot of bluefish we got on bunker. They were small, 12-14inches. They stopped biting when the tide changed.

nitestrikes
08-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Tried to fish an inlet SS after work tonight, front side. It was a little rough, so I went to the back side and got one bluefish around 2lbs on a white teaser above a bucktail.

BassBuddah
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Used a break in the weather last night for some bucktailing and plugging, near some NS structure and a harbor entrance. 2 small bluefish on the bucktail, and then lost a pretty decent fish on a magdarter. There was a lot of small bait.

stripercrazy
08-14-2009, 08:02 AM
I took a walk in the Moses area to try to find some weakies last night. Jighead and rubber, they did not cooperate.:skunk:

nitestrikes
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Jones area this morning, 1 small fluke on a light bucktail with p.r. trailer. Water was a little dirty.

BassBuddah
08-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Things seem to be cleaning up a little. I have been out 5x in the past 2 weeks and have not been able to catch a bass to save my life. This morning I hit the SS before dawn and got a 33" bass, bucktail and pork. Nice sunrise, there was some fog but it burned off quickly.

7deadlyplugs
08-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Boat fluke report- we fished out of Moriches today, good water and lots of shorts, 2 keepers to 23 1/2". Spearing and squid on one rod, gulp for the other. I am so aggravated they are closing the season just as the fluking is getting good.

Frankiesurf
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Hit Moriches the other night for one 27" and one 12 lb very angry blue. My buddy got one 14-15 pound bass. They are out there you just gotta find them.

7deadlyplugs
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice catches frankiesurf, do you mind saying what you were using, or what your friend was using to get that 14lb bass? I was out for 2 hours tonight, hit a SS spot, some nice structure, throwing a 1/2 ounce bucktail. Grand total = 2 searobins.

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Both Bass were brought in with a yellow needle and the bluefish with a yellow metal lip.

The moon wasn't full but it was very bright out. We got a lot of hits on yellow plugs but not much on any other color.

Don't go by what I say though. The fish will tell you. Just experiment a bit and make sure you are on some decent structure. There are a lot of barren stretches on sandy beaches.

nitestrikes
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Walked down a beach last night with a tsunami swimmer, similar to a megabait. I saw pods of bait here and there with nothing on them. Got 2 cocktail blues. It was a little windy, but still great to be out and get into something that looked like a fish. :fishing:

pescador29
08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
we fished SI yesterday night, 9:00 to 12, using bunkers. We caught over 10 bluefish, they were 3lbs biggest, and they were close to the deeper water, and they were eating a lot of small fish that was jumping around.

plugginpete
08-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I took my kid out for some snapper action on the NS, a well known marina, early this morning. They are there in droves, and a lot of small spearing and peanut bunker too. A good time was had by all.:fishing:

Frankiesurf
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I woke up yesterday and saw heavy surf advisories and 5-15 knot south winds so I all of a sudden did not feel well. Since I had to pick up my car from the shop, I decided to get out to Montauk for the last of the outgoing and fish to the incoming.

The whole way out I saw flags blowing due south. I parked up in the Lower Lot and walked to the snack shop to see what was up. Looking at the flag the wind was due west and steady. I fished from turtle cove all the way to the sewer pipe. Great white water but no bait to be seen. I figured once I hit the cove by the pipe I would get a break from the wind and hit them down deep. No fish. In one deeper spot the water was a little more calm so I tossed my buck into it. BIG mistake. By this time the current started to turn so it started bringing the weeds. Once my buck hit the water, I let it sink and then felt a steady pull. Don't get excited, it was weeds in the undertow. I have never caught this much crap on one cast before. It felt like a huge skate. As I was reeling I had to pinch my line to keep all this junk off my spool. The rod tip was so fouled I had to stop reeling and clean it three or four times. Once I got this mass of **** in to the breakers I actually had to pump my rod to reel it in and one time the undertow actually took drag. Once I got it in it took a few minutes to clear all the weed of my swivel and bucktail.

By the time I was done with that and took a look out, I noticed the breakers and foam were pink with this reddish weed. I decided to head down to the Light. The waves were coming from deeper water so I figured they would be clean. They were but I would have had better luck targeting long boards than Bass. I went with Bucktails, darters, and bottle plugs to no avail. Then I had a Mexican cast from on top about ten feet from the right of me. That wasn't the problem. The problem was the heavy right to left sweep. His first cast, he got his bucktail stuck in the rocks below me. First he asked me to climb down to get it as he was in shorts and sneakers. I was not going any lower than I was for safety sake. Then he tried pulling on it so I told him "If that hits me you are a dead man". He then cut his line. I tried there for a while to no avail. There were about eight or nine guys also trying who had already given up. Every one of them in wetsuits.

I watched three surfers attempt to get out into the waves under the light. One was smart and watched the waves and duration but the other two got slammed around the rocks. Quite amusing.

I went to the lot had a snack then downsized my bag for an attempt at the North side. Nothing doing. Weeds up the *** making it pretty unfishable. I wanted to continue to walk but when I was on a point of small to grapefruit size rocks earlier the waves were coming in hard from a deep spot and I got slammed in the ankle by what I believe was the Rock of Gibraltar. It still hurts.

Can't say I didn't try.

The worst part of the outing was the fact that the reason my car wasn't done was because the A-hole mechanic broke my radio and did not yet find a new one. An hour and a half or so in silence. Dog tired with my ankle hurting. Thats a fun trip.

rockhopper
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Great montauk report frankie, I haven't been up there yet. maybe this weekend. Heard they were getting some blues around sunset this last week.
I fished the SS this morning near an inlet, was throwing a bucktail and pork rind, hoping for a stray bass. No bass, but I did nail a bluefish around 10-11 pds, great fight!

pescador29
08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
No work today for the rain, I went to the SI in the morning with bunker, and we had some small ones from a castnet. I caught one skate, and 2 searobins. The searobins are very big, I am going to try to cook them.

Frankiesurf
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I was out on the North Shore yesterday testing some plugs and hook configurations. There were 2" peanuts EVERYWHERE. A few snappers here and there but no larger fish around. I wasn't able to stick around after sunset though.

Boy did I look cool though. Fighting for position with a bunch of kids and their snapper rods. They kept making me move because they were walking behind me, in front of me and next to me. A few did grasp the idea of etiquette after a brief positive lesson. Some did not. Those were the ones I moved away from. Just to clear things up, I was casting into a heavy current where the snappers were nowhere to be seen. I did have a few questions asked of me about what I was doing and why. I was also able to teach a few kids about current, eddies and depth and about the peanuts that were all over.

All in all, there were no fish but a good, productive and very positive time to be had.

Frankiesurf
08-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Here's a video.

Peanut Bunker in Wading River (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4VRMHOH0r8)

BassBuddah
08-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I was out on the North Shore yesterday testing some plugs and hook configurations. There were 2" peanuts EVERYWHERE. A few snappers here and there but no larger fish around. I wasn't able to stick around after sunset though.

Boy did I look cool though. Fighting for position with a bunch of kids and their snapper rods. They kept making me move because they were walking behind me, in front of me and next to me. A few did grasp the idea of etiquette after a brief positive lesson. Some did not. Those were the ones I moved away from. Just to clear things up, I was casting into a heavy current where the snappers were nowhere to be seen. I did have a few questions asked of me about what I was doing and why. I was also able to teach a few kids about current, eddies and depth and about the peanuts that were all over.

All in all, there were no fish but a good, productive and very positive time to be had.

When I first started reading this I thought you were going to end up tossing the kids in the water to see if they could swim. From your posts you don't seem like the type who has the patience to be a teacher. However it did turn out differently, it is a good feeling to introduce youngsters to the whys and wheres of fishing. Good deal, good report.:thumbsup:

I fished a SS spot this morning near an inlet. There was a small flurry of blues early on. I got a few on a bucktail, and that was it. Water is cleaning up nicely.