PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for August 2009

DarkSkies
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
08-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Monty you won the plug in the June random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

seamonkey
08-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I fished a CM beach this morning, I got 2 kingfish on small clam pieces, tandem rig. Seems we have more that are starting to show up. I would sure like to see some spot though. I seem to remember by this time last year were were getting them good. So far I haven't heard any news of spot being caught.

wish4fish
08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
fished the first 2 hours of outgoing with bunker raritan tonite, only 1 blue about 3#. also we were fishing for a half hour and some peanuts started going crazy so we ran over there and started casting small plugs, nuttin but snappers under them. snappermania, lol:wheeeee:

voyager35
08-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Good fluking in the RB today, 70 fish total between the 4 of us, 6 keepers to 20", bucktail with long squid strips and gulp teaser was the winning combo.

finchaser
08-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Fished out front for fluke yesterday limited out to 7 pounds in a tournament. Also did a number on blues to 12 pounds when they came up in blitz conditions chasing sand eels about 2 miles off the beach.:fishing:

surfwalker
08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Nice fluke, finchaser. Come on sand eels.

Monty
08-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow, thanks.

Fished this morning form 1:30 to 7:30 Bay side.
Ended up with 1 striper (on the rubber teaser) and 3 blues.
Had decent action:
- Lost multiple fish
- 3 Hogys were dimolished
- 2 teasers bit off
- 2 leaders bitten off
- lost 1 plug (bite off)
- hook bent by fish (lost fish)

I would say today the fish kicked my butt (great fun as the reel was screaming pretty often.)
Between winning the plug and the great time I had fishing, it was one very lucky day.
Thank you Dark, I really enjoy your site.

Monty you won the plug in the June random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

[/RIGHT]

clamchucker
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
There was a nice bite after the storm yesterday afternoon in OC. I managed a few big bluefish up to 12#, and one bass, 34", released. Pencil and bottle poppers.

storminsteve
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
The fish must have had the feedbag on big time clamchucker. I was out there too, but in Monmouth county. I was supposed to hit a barbeque some friends were having, but something told me to try the ocean for a bit. There was great action as bluefish came in and out of the surf line for about 2 hours. I landed about a dozen up to 10lbs, and lost a lot more than that. I saw they were chasing spearing and what looked like some peanuts. I threw a diamond jig with a red tail. I lost a few rigs, good thing I had some extras. Monster hits, it was great fun while it lasted. I have been batting poorly when it comes to my surf trips lately, other than a few fluke I almost forgot what it's like to have a nice fish on. Yesterday was great while it lasted!:wheeeee:

cowherder
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
So you guys did well after the rain? Congrats, I didn't go fishing yesterday because of the forecast and I thought it would be chocolate milk after. I guess it goes to show you that you can't always predict when they will be there, it's better to get out and fish. Nice catches, guys.

lostatsea
08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I guess it goes to show you that you can't always predict when they will be there, it's better to get out and fish. Nice catches, guys.

Right place right time. It's been hit or miss for me, mostly miss. Grats, guys. :clapping:

chas527
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
fished s. h. this morning . nothing the first hour and a half.then sea robbins an small fluke. alot of small bait in water. seen birds working way out early.

cowherder
08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I fished the Hook this morning, 5-7am. Guys you were right about the diamond jigs, they do get hits when you drag them along. I got one bluefish and 3 sea robins. One of the sea robins was huge, it could have weighed like 2 lbs.:wow: No more plover barriers, thank God!:wheeeee:

voyager35
08-05-2009, 07:23 PM
We fished near the Earle pier today, mostly drifting the channels. The drift was fast, and the outgoing seemed more productive than the incoming. 5 fluke to 23", many short ones, bucktail and gulp, with gulp new penny shrimp teaser.

chas527
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
took the grandson crabbing this morning. rented a boat at oceanic marina. got 2 dozen big crabs. but it rained all morning had to leave at 11.30, didn't want the kid to get sick

porgy75
08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
took the grandson crabbing this morning. rented a boat at oceanic marina. got 2 dozen big crabs. but it rained all morning had to leave at 11.30, didn't want the kid to get sick

Chas, I saw crabs on the pilings at one of the marinas by the Shrewsbury when I went to buy bait yesterday. Some guys are neting them that way too. Kids like to crab, sorry to hear the day was cut short. I fished a moco beach yesterday into sunset. I got one fluke (short). one sea robin, and one stargazer, all on clams. Those stargazers are freaky looking creatures.:scared:

captnemo
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Tried for tuna yesterday about 35 miles E of Point Pleasant. We were not that successful, only one bonita on the troll, a few bluefish, and then one small dolphin near a pot. We even brought some dead peanuts to sweeten the water with, but only managed the one mahi. It seemed like it was an off day, at least for us. Great day to be on the water anyway.

cowherder
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I went to SH last night and fished an area that was recently opened. I had bunker and clams, got one bluefish at around 9 on the bunker. 2 small sand sharks on the bunker. One skate on the clams. I couldn't get any other action at all. The full moon was intensely bright, so I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it. You could see everything in the water.

voyager35
08-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Tried for tuna yesterday about 35 miles E of Point Pleasant. We were not that successful, only one bonita on the troll, a few bluefish, and then one small dolphin near a pot. We even brought some dead peanuts to sweeten the water with, but only managed the one mahi. It seemed like it was an off day, at least for us. Great day to be on the water anyway.

Hey at least you gave it a shot, I heard quite a few captains had a tough day yesterday.

fishinmission78
08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Island Beach last night, fresh bunker heads for bait and a mix of ground up peanuts and cheap dog food for a little chum slick. 2 doggies to 45", one brown 48". I was really hoping for some big boys, can't bat a home run every time out. Lots of creatures out there in the night.:eek:

Monty
08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Was out bay side from 1:15-10:00 this morning. Managed seven blues, mostly on the small side. They were on small bait, took the teaser except for one that went about 5 pounds and slammed a Rip-Plugger Rip Runner. Lost a few few fish, had OK action. Great fishing weather.

cowherder
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
SH tonight from 5-9pm. I got a small sand shark using bunker. About 1/2 hour before I was going to leave, I got a huge hit on bunker. This fish took about 200' of line out on the drag immediately, and I could hardly get any line in. I'm thinking it was a shark or a cow nose ray, it didn't really fight against the pole, it just kept taking line out. :don't know why: A few seconds after that, and it broke off. I will never know what that fish was, but it was great while it lasted. I pray I get a chance to pull a fish like that on the beach someday.

voyager35
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
^^ That might have been a cownose ray you had on.

We fished RB yesterday for fluke, the fishing seemed a bit off. We did catch quite a few shorts, but only 3 keepers to 23". Bucktails and gulp.

c4charlie
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Took my beautiful wife and kids to IBSP today 5:30-9pm. Yes, there were flies but we all stayed in the water and it was not too bad. Once the wind shifted, they did not bother us as much. I heard it was worse in other areas of the park. For the first time ever, I decided to fish for fluke. Decided to go with a bucktail/gulp new penny shrimp and a gulp twisty tail as a teaser. Got five fluke up to 18". My first keeper fluke ever from the surf! http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/beers.gif

I let my little ones reel in just about all the fish. Saw a whole school of cow nosed rays pass by. A couple were on the surface and at first I thought they were some sharks (saw only their fins) but then a wave hit them perfectly so I could see a whole school of them, about 15 of them or more. I casted ahead of them because at first I did not know what they were and I got hooked up. Thought it was one of them but it was much lighter, turned out to be my keeper fluke.

Then saw the blues jumping all over as it started to get dark. Amazing how high they get airborne. Decided to do some plugging and hooked one up. I gave the rod to my 4 year old with no asistance what so ever. He had the fight of his life so far in his young career. I just loved watching him fight that fish. Rod and reel were a bit too big for him but he managed to do it. I also reel righty, he does lefty primarily but can do both. He did it no problem!

So many smiles all around today!!! I loved it! Got home just went for a swim in the pool, looks like summer is finally here!

DarkSkies
08-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Cowherder, you want those sea monsters, you need to bring your gear to the next level or you will just lose rigs. Are you fishin conventional sticks? Bring a heavier stick with you, and a conventional rod, a beefy one. One that you can also cast out, although the sharks and rays are night feeding relatively close to shore.

Get yourself some Sufix tritanium if you're usin mono, 30-40lb. You can use heavier, but it will be harder to cast. Try to concentrate on making a strong shock leader, at least 100# test, and use bigger hooks. If you're targeting mostly sharks and not rays, you neeed heavy steel leaders instead of the mono. You also need lots of extra line on your spool if you want to land a bigger one. Watch the rolls the sharks do as you bring them in, and try not to let them do it. Don't worry about the smaller fish and bait pickers if you want large.

And watch those rods, you can lose one in an instant if you're too far away. Ideally only fish 2, holding one in your hands. You'll gettum next time. :fishing:

chas527
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
fished sandy hook this morning. 4 small sand sharks 6 sea robbins 5 small fluke . about 9 oclock small blues came though chasing peanut bunker.alot of bait in water early. but the flys were unbeliveable just kept biting had to leave.:

captnemo
08-11-2009, 04:37 PM
We fished the Shrewsbury River to Sandy Hook yesterday for fluke. 4 keepers to 25" and one skate. Killie and squid with gulp teaser was the ticket. The drift was fast and there were a lot of small fish. There was also an enormous amount of baitfish in different locations. At a few places they appeared to be harassed and the water was churning, but changing gear we discovered there were only small snappers. Beautiful day to be out.

wish4fish
08-11-2009, 04:50 PM
dudes i want to get in on some of that shark action. i been fishing spots in the bay and the rivers, one night some monster blues were there, the next night nothing, but peanuts and snappers everywhere. i took my little cousin snapper fishing yesterday we got about 30 of them he was happy

captnemo
08-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Then saw the blues jumping all over as it started to get dark. Amazing how high they get airborne. Decided to do some plugging and hooked one up. I gave the rod to my 4 year old with no asistance what so ever. He had the fight of his life so far in his young career. I just loved watching him fight that fish. Rod and reel were a bit too big for him but he managed to do it. I also reel righty, he does lefty primarily but can do both. He did it no problem!

So many smiles all around today!!! I loved it! Got home just went for a swim in the pool, looks like summer is finally here!

Miles of smiles, it doesn't get any better that that. Sounds like your family had a fantastic day. Enjoy those times while they last, C4.:thumbsup:

clamchucker
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I fished Island Beach for the last 2 mornings. Yesterday I started with a few short fluke and one keeper using gulp shrimp on a jig. As the tide filled in, bluefish came in and out, and I managed a few cocktail blues on a small diamond jig. Today I got only small fluke, but did manage a few bluefish. I cut the trip short as the NE weather is building. Winds were up to 15mph when I left. Other than the regulars, there are a noticable lack of fishermen in the park lately.

porgy75
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Saw a whole school of cow nosed rays pass by. A couple were on the surface and at first I thought they were some sharks (saw only their fins) but then a wave hit them perfectly so I could see a whole school of them, about 15 of them or more. I casted ahead of them because at first I did not know what they were and I got hooked up. Thought it was one of them but it was much lighter, turned out to be my keeper fluke.

c4charlie, I also was almost fooled by those rays when I was fishing yesterday in moco after work. I got scared for a minute because the fins were close to shore, and then realized it was a ray. I would love to catch one of those, don't know if I could get it in though.:eek: I did catch some fluke, most around 17", and a big stargazer by using a bucktail with a white gulp minnow. Those stargazers are ugly looking fish!

storminsteve
08-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Late report. fished Sandy Hook yesterday, there was some nice bluefish action. I was there for about 3 hours and caught a dozen small blues on kastmasters, missed or lost twice that many. It wasn't steady, but it seemed they were coming in and harassing the bait, lots of peanuts in the wash.

plugaholic
08-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I fished OC in the back this morning, a lot of small bait jumping. Got one bass 24" and quite a few blues on chartreuse storm shads, the smaller ones. Once the blues started tearing them up, I went to small poppers, and got some blues to 18", and some small snappers also. Fished from first light to 7am.

wish4fish
08-14-2009, 10:46 PM
rb way in the back i took my little cousin again and had great action on bluefish, 3" poppers and very small krocidiles, the fish bit from the top of the tide till about 3 hours into the outgoing tonight, all small taylor blues to 3#, great nite for lite tackle and my cousin was happy:fishing:

fishinmission78
08-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Caught some sharks at IBSP, mostly dogfish, no browns. There was a lot of weed and it was tough to hold bottom. I used a sputnik sinker. They were there, caught near the end of the incoming this morning.

voyager35
08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Today we fished deeper water than we usually fish, near the reach. 8 flatties up to 7.5lbs. There weren't that many shorts, but there were some monster sea robins and a few seabass. The ticket was fresh peanut bunker we netted back in the harbor. Fish bit through both outgoing and incoming, the best bite being near the top. Love those peanut bunker. Nice shark, fnm.

cowherder
08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
:clapping: I like that shark, fishinmission. I wish I had the skill to catch them, it looks like the bigger ones will take all your line out and spool you. I might have to look into getting a bigger setup, it sounds like fun. :eek: I fished at Sandy Hook today and it was hot and crowded. Thank God I didn't stick around too long and the crowds were coming in as I was leaving. A few small bluefish in the morning, all on diamond jigs, some bait jumping around but I don't know what it was.

plugcrazy
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Back bay last night south OC, pink zooms for some bass action to 22", and a few hungry bluefish. Went through a pack of zooms, glad they are cheap.

SharkHart
08-16-2009, 08:14 PM
some nice quality fluke are around, once we finally got a drift going today nearly mid day the bite got pretty good, ratio was about about 6 to 1 for keepers to 25", i dropped a few good ones too. Smeltz were good, sea robid strips were read hot today. 55-60 feet of water. a 3lb and 3.5 sea bass were very nice bonus on what appeared to be a sandy bottom. The reef was very slow in the am, 30 boats and 2 party boats doing nothing. the season will most likel end wit a red hot quality fish bite :o

clamchucker
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I fished Island beach very early, there was some bluefish action at first light and I managed 2 on a popper. The beach was very weedy from the onshore swells. It's nice to see some of you guys getting sharks and other creatures at night, my days of doing that are over. Go catch em up!

clamchucker
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
some nice quality fluke are around, once we finally got a drift going today nearly mid day the bite got pretty good, ratio was about about 6 to 1 for keepers to 25", i dropped a few good ones too. Smeltz were good, sea robid strips were read hot today. 55-60 feet of water. a 3lb and 3.5 sea bass were very nice bonus on what appeared to be a sandy bottom. The reef was very slow in the am, 30 boats and 2 party boats doing nothing. the season will most likel end wit a red hot quality fish bite :o

sharkhart that is a shame that we have our season shut down at the peak of the action, but a 6 to 1 short ratio is fantastic. Many of my friends are throwing back 10 to 20 to get one keeper. I would have thought you were fishing rough bottom rather than sandy bottom to have success like that, nice going.

buckethead
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Went out to SH last night. It took a couple of hours but pulled in one sand shark, a small one.

chas527
08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
fished sandy hook this morning. 12 small fluke 10 sea robbins 1 small blue fish all on mullet i cauth in bay yesterday. did not see any peanut bunker in water but did see snappers swiming.

storminsteve
08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
You did better than me chas, I fished the Hook this morning and got one tiny snapper hooked on one of my trebles. He got off as I lifted him out of the water, that's how tiny he was. Boy was it hot today!

lostatsea
08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I decided to play around with a light tackle rod on the back side of Barnegat Bay after work tonight. I was throwing a small kastmaster, I think 1/4 oz. Nothing much was happening, then all of a sudden the bait started boiling, peanut bunker and possibly some spearing jumping up. I had exactly 9 1/2 minutes of great action with small bluefish before a boat came by and put them down. It was a lot of fun on a light 5 1/2' rod though. :fishing:

voyager35
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Slow day in the raritan bay, we fished the morning and most of the day, outgoing. 2 fluke to 22", quite a few red birds. Squid and spearing in the channels with gulp teaser, needed lots of lead to stay on the bottom.

captnemo
08-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Some weakfish were caught in raritan bay, and we decided to target them yesterday afternoon. We bought half a flat of sandworms, and set out in search of them. It was a slow pick on the flood tide, but we did manage 6 from 16 to 18". There were quite a few spikes. It looks like we might actually have them for a few weeks. Only time will tell.

lostatsea
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Back bay before sunrise, GE area, a few small blues and an 18" bass, white curly tail grubs on small jigs and small mirrolures. The place was saturated with peanut bunker.

clamchucker
08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
2 day report. There was a flurry of bluefish activity yesterday at IBSP near the inlet. I managed a baker's dozen using an ava007 with a tube. They were very small, none over 12". They were slicing through the schools of spearing. Today was different as the swell started to build up from hurricane Bill. I managed a few short fluke and decided to call it a morning. Be careful out there if you decide to venture out, folks.

storminsteve
08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I had some fun with light tackle at Sandy hook this morning. I bought a 7' ugly stik, and intended to do some fluking with gulp mullet. Instead there was a mini bluefish blittz on spearing. It lasted for about 10 minutes, the bluefish were all over. Small cocktails, fun on light tackle and kastmasters. Then about 1/2 hour later they came back, but it was quick and I only caught 1.

wish4fish
08-21-2009, 06:20 PM
last night's fish report=:skunk:

DarkSkies
08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Fished a few places last night, back and front.

Started out with some quick hit and run scouting the bait, stopped at a few places I got reports on. Some held true to the reports, others, despite being natural bait nurseries, were empty.

What I did find was an abundance of spearing, that in many cases was being casually fed on by some bigger fish, probably small bluefish. In some lighted areas, they filled the water, pods at a time. Threw a cast net a few times, but only came up with spearing. There are peanuts and mullet stacking up quite nicely, but that place is a little more isolated and I didn't feel like checking it out.

I was happy to see all the bait out there, and even more glad because I had my little angling buddy with me. :D He's 11, and I'm tryin to teach him some of what I know. He knows how to fish bait, but we're at the next level now, plugging and the why's and where's of surf fishin. So it was kinda cool to explain the different bait to him, and why it was important.

On to our spot out front, where the most extreme thing we noticed was the huge amount of bait in the water when we got there. It was most highly concentrated at the top of the tide. There were thousands of spearing milling about. Later, when I tried to video it before we left, the spearing had thinned, but then we had lots of grass shrimp swimming by.

I figured with all the bait in the water there had to be some predators. I set him up with a small yozuri swimmer, a dead ringer for some of the larger spearing. I swam a tiny jointed swimmer with a teaser. The night was black as coal, with only the stars to guide us. It was an awesome night for any star gazers out there. :dribble:

We saw or heard no fish slurping the spearing, but I was still hoping for some weakfish action, and worked all levels of the water column, eventually ending up with a pink zoom on lead. He continued to work the yozuri.

I was quite proud that in the 15 minutes we were fishin in pitch darkness, not once did he hang up the plug or run into my line. :clapping: Of course his casts weren't as long as they could have been, but the important thing is he was learning, and I was pretty proud. :thumbsup:

We then set up for sharks. I dumped a bloody bag of fish parts in the water, and we fished from the top of the tide to midway of the ebb. The current was strong, and we needed 8oz to hold. He had one hit on his bunker chunk that came unbuttoned. Me, nothing on the bunker head I was fishin.

I still had a feeling that we could have found sharks in that area as the tide changed. However the responsibility of watching him as we fished the strong new moon current made me realize I didn't want to take any risk, so we packed it up and went to another place.

This is my ace in the hole place, a place where the big bluefish live. We went to see if they were home. Maybe they went to Great Adventure last night instead, they weren't answering the dinner bell. ;)

I knew as soon as we got there that pickins would be slim. The best times there are when the place is exploding with bait, and we only saw isolated pods, here and there. Another clue should have been that no one was fishin deep into the night. We checked spots in 4 towns, and not a fisherman was stirring.

Still, we had a blast anyway. He got into some more plugging practice, this time using the very small jointed swimmer (spearing profile). I got to teach him a little about the tides, best stages of tides to fish, currents, and why the absence or abundance of bait is critical to making fishing decisions. :learn:

He didn't want to go home, so I kept him out a little long. It reminded me of when I was a kid and didn't want to stop fishin once I started.

In the end, I realized that it didn't matter to him whether we got fish or not. He was happy to see all the spearing we saw at the other spot, see how they surrounded us in the water, and trying to catch them as they slipped through his fingers. I had the best time out there watching him last night, than I have had in a long time.

Overall, he was just glad to be out there and learn new stuff.
So like I tell you guys and gals here, we'll gettum next time. :fishing:

plugaholic
08-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Still, we had a blast anyway. He got into some more plugging practice, this time using the very small jointed swimmer (spearing profile). I got to teach him a little about the tides, best stages of tides to fish, currents, and why the absence or abundance of bait is critical to making fishing decisions. :learn:

He didn't want to go home, so I kept him out a little long. It reminded me of when I was a kid and didn't want to stop fishin once I started.

In the end, I realized that it didn't matter to him whether we got fish or not. He was happy to see all the spearing we saw at the other spot, see how they surrounded us in the water, and trying to catch them as they slipped through his fingers. I had the best time out there watching him last night, than I have had in a long time.

Overall, he was just glad to be out there and learn new stuff.
So like I tell you guys and gals here, we'll gettum next time. :fishing:

That's what it is all about. Great report DS, I really enjoyed that.:thumbsup:

gjb1969
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
cool ds hope he loves it like we all do :clapping:

cowherder
08-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Awesome report dark, passing it on to the next generation hope you get lots of good karma! I wanted to see how fishing was this morning so I went to a beach in monco that was rocky. I tried throwing clams before sunrise in a little pocket there. The waves weren't bad, but every once in a while there was a big one:scared:. I got one skate using fresh clams.

fishinmission78
08-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I fished the park for a few hours last night, incoming, bunker chunks. Only one small shark. The swell was pretty mild. A big roller would appear, that was it. I think the hurricane would be more dangerous if you were out in a boat.

c4charlie
08-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I was out yesterday for a couple hours to see the big swell and decided to toss some clams and throw some metal off a jetty. Waves were not as big as anticipated. Did not get one tap and I tried both sides of jetty and was able to get bait just off the tip in good position. It was daylight so I wasn't expecting much. The striper talk got me excited and surfers told me that there were fish in the wash earlier but I did not see any life other than surfers.

Late report from Thur evening, IBSP from 5-8pm, got some 1 pound blues on mullet and also on metal. Some dogfish as well. Swell was just starting that day.

hookset
08-24-2009, 09:59 AM
What a great report DS. I bet that kid had a great time. Hope he realizes that he is fishing with a legend in the making.

DarkSkies
08-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Hookset, I don't know if you're angling for a free plug or just don't know me that well. I went and looked in the mirror and the only legend I could see was someone who's a legend in his own mind, in a class by himself, because everyone else escaped the building. :kooky: :laugh:

The one thing I'm great at is being a goog. I'm one of the most enthusiastic, dorky googs anyone could ever meet. :lookhappy: I do like to take people fishing and try to get them into fish, especially newbies and kids. So after I die if there are any memories of me I hope that they're about the people I tried to turn on to this lifelong passion that I've had, that's all. :thumbsup: :fishing:

voyager35
08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Fishing was poor yesterday. We opted to stay away from open water and fish in the flats of Raritan Bay with peanut bunker, you can get them when leaving the marina. We did have one rod with spearing and squid just in case. That rod only got hit by shorts and sea robins. We got the lone keeper of the day, 18.5", with the peanut bunker, and were using 2 at a time on that rod in hopes of a bigger fluke.

chas527
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
caught some mullet this morning. tried fishing a beach in r.b.got 1 fluke and 3 small blue fish;

storminsteve
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
fished some somoco areas last night using fresh bunker. Not only was my best action with the skates, but the line had all kinds sof snotty jellyfish jizz on it when I brought it in. I will be glad when that clears up.

ledhead36
08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
We fished some lumps today in MoCo for some fluke, only one keeper, 22", and 24 short fluke, many of which were 17"plus. I wasn't ready to go home when we docked, so I went to an area beach and played around with some diamond jigs for an hour. Bluefish started tearing up the small bait, and I got 9. Nothing bigger than 2#, although the action was nice. It was a great way to end the day.

lostatsea
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I went on a friend's boat out of Atlantic Highlands yesterday. We got some fluke in the morning, but the bite seemed a little slow on the outgoing, using bucktail and squid with gulp teaser. In the afternoon we found several schools of peanut bunker being harassed by cocktail blues, and had good times using light action rods and small kastmasters and rattletraps. There was no size to the bluefish, biggest was probably 10", but we had fun hitting them hard and moving to find another school of peanut bunker when the action died down at each spot.
We had some worms and tried to bounce them on the bottom as well but could not entice any weakfish. That might have been because there were so many cocktail blues around, maybe they scared other fish away. The back of the bay was filled with bait and you didn't have to go too far to find another pod.

chas527
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
fished sandy hook this morning. windy and cool. 8sea robbins 4 small fluke. no blue fish no birds no bait fish in water and finally no flies biteing.

clamchucker
08-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Fished IBSP from sunrise to 8am, the east wind kept the flies away. Got one fluke at the inlet on a mullet, and left early. On the way back I saw some pods of false albacore. They were in and out of the surf chasing the small bait. I didn't see anyone hook up, but they were fairly close, within distance of a long cast.

jigfreak
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I had the day off yesterday and decided to prowl raritan bay. there were a few places where guys were netting mullet. It seemed where the fish were concentrated the most, there were small snappers. I had a float rig, and had a blast catching snappers, though the guys with the bait were catching taylor bluefish up to 3 or 4 lbs. Near sunset I got one about 6 lbs on a kastmaster, that was my biggest one of the day. Nice day to be walking the sand.

clamchucker
08-29-2009, 01:26 PM
We spent the better part of yesterday afternoon in the back channels of Barnegat Bay. Using live peanuts and chumming small pieces, we managed a few short fluke and weakfish to 20". It was a little wet, though conditions were not that bad for late summer fishing.

wish4fish
08-30-2009, 08:20 AM
hit the back of raritan yesterday after dinner for some nice cocktail blue action they were small but we used the tiny kastmasters and krocodiles and had a blast. later went out again with a bucket of peanuts and got blues to 6# at the top of the tide 1-3am. rained on us a little but the blues were still hitting the meat.:fishing:

Monty
08-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Went out bay side early AM, lots of lightning no thunder, then thunder so I left. Went ocean side for a few hours, ended up with the skunk and some pics. Lots of white water and guy on surf board on top pic.

DarkSkies
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Got a late start today, Pebbles and I went out to scout for the pelagics. By the time we got to the ocean, the action was over and there were about 70 boats jockeying for a slow pick of fluke. We left after a half hour and went to scout out some back bay spots and reports. Some of the inlets are filled with spearing, but small, in the 2" range. Nice crop of mullet around, still only up to 3" though. Less peanuts today than the other day, but they move around. Many small fish hammering these baitfish, but no weakies from shore yet. The big ones feed at night, move around and you will find them.

Nice pics Monty. :HappyWave:

c4charlie
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Got out last night from 10pm-12:30 in the back. As DS said, lots of bait around. Managed to get one bluefish but that was it. Nice to be out in the saltwater, been doing a lot of freshwater lately.

chas527
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
fished sandy hook this morning. windy and cool. got 4 small fluke 3 sea robbins and 1 blue fish all on mullet. did not see any birds working.