PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Stripercoast1
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Do some people not get the concept of requesting a spot burn on the internet? Is it pure laziness? Is it just the way society has become in these days of instantanious gratification? Kinda like getting a cheeseburger at Mickie D's? Drive up plunk down a buck and move on.
As I cruise around to all my electronic hang outs, it seems, on a daily basis, people ask for the abuse of spot requests. I understand that some newbs need and want help, and I will be right there to give advise on search methods, reading water, tackle selection, etc...... But the ones that want the specific place to stand direction to cast, and plug or bait to use, and time to be there, just astounds me.
The 1 post wonders should read a few posts and get a feel for the place they are posting their questions, some of the folks out there aint very kind!

clamchucker
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I was fishing in Ocean County NJ yesterday. It was pure luck that I happened to be there, though my log book has shown some good scattered bites in the end of July and through the middle of August in the last 10 years. I believed if someone were to report that bite as it was happening, the place would have been crowded beyond belief, and to what end? People hooking each other with trebles? I am always glad to give pointers to a new person or help them improve their technique. As to pulling them in to exactly where I am catching, no, they have to pay their dues by walking those spots over and over until they really know them for themselves. That's the way I learned, and the way it should be. You become a better surfcaster by working for it and paying your dues.

williehookem
08-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Do some people not get the concept of requesting a spot burn on the internet? Is it pure laziness? Is it just the way society has become in these days of instantanious gratification?

Yes
Yes

You are absolutely on the money. No one wants to work for anything today, except a small few. Too bad for them, I learned when I was a kid that when you work for something, that is when you really appreciate it.

nitestrikes
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
^^ x2!

surfwalker
08-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I posted this back in April in another thread, my feelings haven't changed-"Maybe I'm totally off base on this, but I don't depend on too many reports to base where I'll be plugging. I believe that you make your own reports by scouting areas and see what it produces, it's more satisfying. We all know what type of water has the better chance of catching and these spots will always be crowded. But to specifically name a spot I think is wrong, to me. To name spots only makes that area more congested and harder to work, not much fun. You have to remember that on here you're not talking one on one, but thousands of eyes are reading these spots. As far as cell phones, well, what can you do? I shy away from crowded areas, I don't enjoy horseing a Bass across the water as not to tangle with the inconsiderate guy next to me that doesn't pull up. I don't like people casting over my head. I don't own the beach, so I just move on and find my own spots. The fish don't stay in one place all the time. So, spot burning is a sore spot for me, I don't like it. Get out and learn your own spots and enjoy them. Every year the pressure is getting greater and greater in our areas".

Monty
08-03-2009, 06:22 PM
surfwalker, I feel the same way. Driving to an area I want to fish, if I see an area with a crowd, while there is a good chance there are fish there, I avoid it.
Much more fun getting lost along a beach, hunting for fish without anyone around (or just a few others).
Can't stand a crowd, would take the skunk alone anyday over a crowd.

I posted this back in April in another thread, my feelings haven't changed-"Maybe I'm totally off base on this, but I don't depend on too many reports to base where I'll be plugging. I believe that you make your own reports by scouting areas and see what it produces, it's more satisfying. We all know what type of water has the better chance of catching and these spots will always be crowded. But to specifically name a spot I think is wrong, to me. To name spots only makes that area more congested and harder to work, not much fun. You have to remember that on here you're not talking one on one, but thousands of eyes are reading these spots. As far as cell phones, well, what can you do? I shy away from crowded areas, I don't enjoy horseing a Bass across the water as not to tangle with the inconsiderate guy next to me that doesn't pull up. I don't like people casting over my head. I don't own the beach, so I just move on and find my own spots. The fish don't stay in one place all the time. So, spot burning is a sore spot for me, I don't like it. Get out and learn your own spots and enjoy them. Every year the pressure is getting greater and greater in our areas".

Pebbles
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I can't stand fishing where there are crowds. I am not the best caster and always have a fear of getting lines crossed with some poor sucker. As for spot burning, I can't stand it. Go find your own places, do the work that we have done. You will feel more rewarded in the end.

Jackbass
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Now a days with the internet and all of the Satelite imagery available to us you would think any one with a clue on fishing and fish behavior might be able to throw a dart on a computer screen and check some places out. God forbid learn something about a location.

jigfreak
03-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Now a days with the internet and all of the Satelite imagery available to us you would think any one with a clue on fishing and fish behavior might be able to throw a dart on a computer screen and check some places out. God forbid learn something about a location.

Spot on about this, Jackbass. It's so easy with the electronic map sites out there, google, bing and others. Yet you still have people who won't spend a few minutes, they want everything handed to them. They deserve to ge skunked. It's right there in front of them and they can't take the time to learn.

ledhead36
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
I wonder how many people who spot burn on the internet put out false places just to protect the action spot?

Doublerunner
03-27-2010, 07:33 AM
I'd like to go fishing with all of you good folks

But then there'd be a crowd of us and we'd have to split up...LOL

gjb1969
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
just a bunch of lazy people who dont want to put in the time thats not cool:burn:

dogfish
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
But to specifically name a spot I think is wrong, to me. To name spots only makes that area more congested and harder to work, not much fun. You have to remember that on here you're not talking one on one, but thousands of eyes are reading these spots. .

And then the guys doling out this spot specific information are the first ones to cry when it gets crowded. It's the old tackle shop or internet hero cycle, people think that giving away exact spots buys them instant friends. Chumps.