PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to be fishing?

seamonkey
08-05-2009, 06:07 PM
For me, it's whenever I can get out, but it makes sense to look at it scientifically.

Best Time To Fish – When Is The Best Time To Be Fishing?

By tkugler at Sat, 2009-05-23 08:27
[/URL]

As anglers, especially anglers who want to catch more and larger fish, there is an understanding that some times are better for fishing than others. The problem can be that we aren’t exactly sure how this all works. Although there are many theories out there that try to explain why one time is better than another for fishing, one of the simplest (and easiest) ways to determine the best time to fish is by paying attention to Mother Nature.

So, what the heck do I mean by ‘paying attention to Mother Nature’? Well, it’s really fairly simple. When I use the phrase Mother Nature I’m referring specifically to the weather and moon.

These two forces of Nature have a dramatic impact on the best time to fish, and if you want to know the best time to be fishing these two forces of nature need to be paid attention to.
The bottom line on the weather and moon is that you can get as detailed and involved in these subjects as you would like. In my experience, the basics are more than enough to help you make sure that you’re on the water at the most opportune times for fishing.

So, what the heck are the basics? Well, there is a bit more than can be explained in a single article, but I’ll give you the basics.

Let’s start with the weather. When I refer to the word ‘weather’, I’m referring mainly to frontal systems. When a frontal system passes through the area that you are going to be fishing, the barometric pressure either rises or falls. When the pressure moves one way or the other fish can detect this change through their lateral lines. Depending on whether the pressure is rising or falling (generally rising is good, falling is bad) the fish will feed accordingly.

The moon is also a big factor in whether or not fish are feeding. Depending on what phase the moon is in, fish will also be more or less active which means they will be biting or not biting. The moon plays a major role in the [URL="http://www.jrwfishing.com/signup.asp"]best time (http://www.fishing.us/~fishing/node/taxonomy/term/57?) to fish. For example, fishing is much better during a new moon phase than it is during a waning crescent. The bottom line is that the moon is a determining factor in the best time to be fishing.

Your goal as an angler needs to be to plan your fishing trips around these two forces of Mother Nature as much as you can. In a perfect world you want to be fishing when both of these factors are in your favor. When this happens you have one of those epic days fishing that you remember for many years. The bottom line is if you want to know the best time to fish, learn the simple rules that revolve around the weather, moon, and fishing.

Stripercoast1
08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Location is always the determining factor. I get out as often as I can, and have locations pegged for any moon, any wind, any weather front.
Sometimes I catch a lot of fish when everything says I should get skunked and sometimes I get skunked when I should be slammin.

Location, location, location, even Bass like curb appeal.