PDA

View Full Version : top 10 fishing frustrations

baitstealer
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
What are your top fishing frustrations?

I would say getting tangled and snagged on the rocks burns me up the most. If I could figure out how to do that less I might have a better time fishing.

Take a bite out of these top fishing frustrations

July 29, 2009

Everyone gets frustrated now and again when fishing. It simply goes with the territory. I've compiled my top 10 frustrations and some tips to help deal with them.

10. Missing fish: Usually, you're fishing too big or fast when you miss fish bites. Try slowing down your retrieve or pausing slightly before you set the hook. Reduce hook size to accommodate smaller mouths that may be tapping at your lure. If you're fishing dry flies in a river and continually get "false takes," switch to an emerger pattern and fish just below the surface.
9. Knots: Learn a few key knots and practice tying them. The four top knots I use on a regular basis are the improved clinch knot, double surgeon knot, blood knot and surgeon's loop.
8. Hooking yourself: Typically more painful than frustrating, nothing can prevent you from the inevitable. The easy solution to make the situation less painful is to de-barb your hooks.
7. Forgetting stuff: Pack bags for various outings. Have a bag for river trips, a bag for boating trips and boxes for multiple species. Have one bag for all trips with items such as a camera, sun lotion and bug spray.
6. Getting skunked: Change what you're doing when you're not catching fish. Don't wander over and crowd the angler who's catching fish. Be polite and ask questions. Remember the saying, "Doing what you've always done will get you what you've always got."
5. Tangles: Line messes are just part of the game. Learn that most tangles are a connected series of loops. Do not tighten them. Carefully look for the one keystone loop that has created the mess and back it out. If the knot has already tightened beyond rescue, cut the line and splice with a blood knot. Replace your line often and don't store rigs in the sun. Storing rigs in the sun reduces line memory and leads to kinks. For twisted line, remove your lure/fly and strip it all out as you walk backwards. Then reel it back in with moderate tension between your fingers.
4. Faulty equipment: Mostly this refers to spinning and bait-casting reels. The simple answer is don't skimp on them but buy quality reels. That goes for most fishing gear. Buy what you can afford.
3. Wind: Wind is a blessing in disguise. Fish the wind-blown shorelines of lakes where the food chain has been stirred. Actively feeding game fish will use this to their advantage. Be safe but learn to deal with wind and enjoy it.
2. Crowds: If you're looking to get away, then do it for real. Go as far away from metro populations as you can. Don't expect to fish a lake or river within a couple hours of the Front Range or populated areas, especially with easy parking access, and not see people. If you want to fish close to home, expect to share with others and make the most of it. Talk with people and make friends.
1. Poachers: People fishing illegally is plain wrong. While it may not be your duty to address violators, make it your duty to report them. Get to know the rules even if you're a strict catch-and-release fisherman. Too many people complain about rule-breakers, but too few do anything about it. Budgets have been cut and management is thin. Call Operation Game Thief at (877) 265-6648.

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009907290303

surfstix1963
08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Poachers,crowds and slobs that leave their garbage all over the place the rest of the list are mainly things you need to get used to it is all part of fishing.

JakeF
08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
For me, one of the most annoying things that I encounter on a regular basis is an abundance of eelgrass and other marine vegetation floating in the surf zone. Sometimes it is impossible to reel in a single cast without fouling your plug or line and really makes it difficult to fish a spot like it needs to be fished.

Eelgrass in the water is also a pain in the butt when you're skishing, as it gets wrapped up in the spool of your reel on retreive and screws the next cast.

surfwalker
08-06-2009, 08:21 PM
JakeF- you say you encounter eelgrass on a regular basis up there- is it due to the winds or is it just around certain times of the year in the area that you frequent? Weed always makes me talk to myself.

Monty
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Bugs, flies, mosquitoes.

I try to face the wind when I fish.
When there is no wind or the wind is from the back I wear some latex gloves with the fingers cut off for my hands. Long sleeve something. A hooded top. And Skin So Soft with the bug stuff.

johnnysaxatilis
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
driving all over freakin creation to do what i love. Id kill someone to have a house right on the water on some silly rock groups down in rhodie or mass. Its tough after a long trip up and down the coast to drive those monotonous couple hours back home. the kids like this at the wheel sometimes :boring:

JakeF
08-07-2009, 07:43 AM
JakeF- you say you encounter eelgrass on a regular basis up there- is it due to the winds or is it just around certain times of the year in the area that you frequent? Weed always makes me talk to myself.

It depends on the spot. There's one spot I fish near the mouth of a river (which is full of eelgrass beds) that is completely unfishable on a west wind, because the wind blows all the eelgrass coming out of the river right onto the shoreline. If you have a few days of east wind, it's not bad. Other factors include heavy surf/storm surge breaking vegetation loose from the rocks, commercial drag net boats raping the ocean floor near shore, and time of year.

DarkSkies
08-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Its tough after a long trip up and down the coast to drive those monotonous couple hours back home. the kids like this at the wheel sometimes :boring:

John, take it from someone who learned the hard way by sideswiping the back 1/4 of the truck when a tree was too close to the side of the road. :embarassed:

I drive all over for a shot at decent fish, and have learned no fish is worth the consequences of an accident. Even a 5 hour energy drink has a let-down point.

When I get to that stage now, the first thing I do is pull over, get out, and do squats to get the blood going. Jumpin jacks if I have to, anything to get that blood pumping through my veins.

If that doesn't cut it for the next hour or so, I know I'm done and have to find a place to crash. I tend to stay away from rest stops because of the fruitcakes you meet at night there. So I look for a restaurant that will open in the morning with a secluded parking lot in the back, a bakery, deli, something like that. Then I hit the back and grab a few z'ssss. Nothing like the alert attitude you get from a few hour's sleep, and it may save your life.

Could also prevent your family from the choice of what suit they should bury you in, so that decision to turn off and grab some sleep could impact a lot of people, if ya know what I mean. ;)

Fish hard, but drive safe, that's my PSA for the day. :HappyWave:

JakeF
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Pouring a quart or so of ice water down your back, or in your lap, wakes you up pretty quick, too. :D

I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at times, but I agree,,, if ya can't stay alert, do us all a favor and pull over. It's worse than driving drunk sometimes. No one wants to read the headline Mother & child killed in head-on collision with sleepy fisherman

plugginpete
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
One of my biggest frustrations is when I am bringing the fish in and when it is close to shore it comes unbuttoned.:burn:

rockhopper
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Poachers,crowds and slobs that leave their garbage all over the place the rest of the list are mainly things you need to get used to it is all part of fishing.

I hate the slobs most of all. Bring it in pack it out!