PDA

View Full Version : staycations?

surferman
08-07-2009, 01:50 PM
So with the bad economy and the strain on everyones wallets I was wondering if any of you folks are staying home more this summer, or vacationing close to home, or not making all the far trips like you used to?

Backyard camping offers families a different view of nature's wonders

June 29, 2009 9:16 AM

Don't cancel plans for a summer vacation because of cost. Furthermore, don't spend your vacation time in front of the TV. Try a camping trip in your own backyard!
More Americans than ever are staying close to home this summer for economic reasons. Thousands of families and communities around the country registered for this summer's ultimate "staycation" - the NationalWildlife Federation's fifth annual Great American Backyard Campout this weekend.
Camping is an accessible and affordable stay-cation that brings families together and helps keep them mentally and physically healthy. Participation in the NWF's fifth annual Great American Backyard Campout was expected to be unprecedented, with tens of thousands of campers already registered across the country.
The crackle of a campfire - gooey goodness of toasted marshmallows - spine-tingling delight of a scary story - laughter mingling with the sounds of nocturnal wildlife - memories that last a lifetime, just outside your back door. Time spent outdoors is also a great way for families to reconnect with each other, free from the usual day-to-day distractions and over-loaded schedules.
Great American Backyard Campout is part of NWF's Be Out There campaign to encourage American families to spend time outside in nature every day-a goal that couldn't be more timely. For the first time in American history an entire generation will come of age primarily indoors. Studies link lack of unstructured playtime outside to increased childhood obesity, less self-sufficiency and reduced creativity.
Should you want to join others in your community participating in Campout, find a local campsite, or register a backyard or campsite for the Great American Backyard Campout, visit www. backyardcampout.org, which features group events around the country.
When the last embers burn down, families can continue to Be Out There with NWF's help. National Wildlife Federation offers free resources to help children and their families enjoy the year-round benefits of outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, cycling, or hiking.

Parents and kids alike will enjoy logging on to www.nwf.org/naturefind (http://www.nwf.org/naturefind)

to receive information and directions for hundreds of fun, family-friendly and affordable outdoor activities and events in their area, including zoos and aviaries, hiking and biking, nature trails, parks, and star-gazing.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/articles/wildlife-26226-families-backyard.html

BassBuddah
08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
We have never camped out in the backyard, but I can tell you I have cut down on the number of trips and miles driven this year. I think we are all feeling a little pinched.