PDA

View Full Version : Albie reports

Pages : 1 [2]

williehookem
08-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Looks like things might be starting up a little earlier this year. I think this fish came from the Golden Eagle or one of the Belmar boats. Small bonita yesterday or saturday. Last year they didn't show up until the end of July.

A buddy of mine was up in RI on Sunday and said they were catching them not too far from shore. They were chasing the small baitfish up there. AFAIK these were bonita not albies. Hope to see some of them in my area soon.

finchaser
08-24-2015, 08:21 PM
non here not even mixed in on the tuna grounds. Plus the mudhole is living up to its name:upck:

surfrob
08-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Albies are still on my bucket list!
ditto... at least on a fly rod. had the pleasure of going out with Steve Byrne one year and getting
them on spinning w/DD's

sats are showing green soup inshore, until that clears out don't think there's a good shot at albies.

voyager35
08-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Golden Eagles report from today. Maybe they are finally starting to come inshore.

It was GOOD fishing for ALBACORE today. We caught plenty of them - about 40 to 50. We picked at the BLUES and did not catch many MACKEREL. Everything was caught on jigs.

finchaser
08-31-2015, 08:24 AM
they were 20 miles off at the Shark River reef

bababooey
08-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Thats a good sign though it seems later than last year. I heard some guys talking yesterday that friends of theirs got a few trolling at barnegat ridge. Dont know them well though so not sure if its true.

seamonkey
09-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Read online that they have been getting them up in the waters off of Rhode island out in the bay. Or is that the long island sound. Up to 10 lbs and bigger. You guys who can do that are lucky. We rarely have them that close in cape may.

surfrob
09-03-2015, 07:18 AM
that's the problem with south, I don't run miles off the beach ever, and really prefer fishing from sand. unless I am up in MoCo in Albie alley (and even there it's been essentially nonexistent the past few years) I have no shot at them. Unless I run with someone in the NY Bight again early October where they show somewhere every year.

finchaser
09-03-2015, 10:18 AM
they were a few off Lavallette yesterday
other wise
Cindy Sea 9/2/15 Ran another trip for Cindy and Dave today, took a charter group out to the long mid-range area. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Left the dock at 2:30 and started out the morning on the troll and picked up a couple of false albies (had to run almost 70 miles for false albies ??) and a real fat skipjack. Crystal clear blue water compared to the antifreeze green gunk we deal with inshore. Switched over to the chunk and highlight of the day was Dwayne hooking up with a 35 lb yellowfin on a light spinning rod and 20 lb test line ! After some coaching and some luck we boated the tuna and introduced him to our ice slurry. No wind and absolute glass seas put a damper on the fishing today. Easy run home, but a long day. Tight Lines--Rich

fishinmission78
09-05-2015, 10:32 AM
B&N reported albiies in the surf. I was down there this morning and only saw small bluefish breaking. One man's cocktail blues is another man's albies. Guess it depends on what type of glasses you are wearing that morning.

finchaser
09-05-2015, 02:26 PM
B&N reported albiies in the surf. I was down there this morning and only saw small bluefish breaking. One man's cocktail blues is another man's albies. Guess it depends on what type of glasses you are wearing that morning.

Also what he wants to sell

surfrob
09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
LOL... once you see how albies work it's distinctive. Anyone remember the few years they were really really thick inshore? Had a shot at them while wading at Union Beach. Had one do the albie porpoise literally 10' off my rod tip. Notice I said "shot" at them at UB, not a hookup :D A lot of guys hooked up that year.

ledhead36
09-07-2015, 09:41 AM
one year at the end of September they were catching them off the jetties back where you are talking about. there were a lot of blue fish and small baite around and weak fish. one morning I saw three of them caught from the inlet jetty.
this is about 8 to 10 years ago. is that what you're talking about?

J Barbosa
09-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Didn't see as many albies offshore on this trip. Plenty of skipjacks and yellowfin though.

surfrob
09-08-2015, 11:05 AM
one year at the end of September they were catching them off the jetties back where you are talking about. there were a lot of blue fish and small baite around and weak fish. one morning I saw three of them caught from the inlet jetty.
this is about 8 to 10 years ago. is that what you're talking about?

probably about the right time frame.

J Barbosa
09-21-2015, 10:41 AM
I was up in RI this Saturday.

Tried to get my land based albie on the fly rod but it didn't happen for me. A buddy of mine did catch his on a fly rod. Saw about 7 total caught, 5 of them were on fly rods and 2 caught on spinning tackle.

DarkSkies
09-21-2015, 12:39 PM
JB, I know you will drive your SUV or boat anywhere there's a shot at a bite. It does seem the Eastern Sound to MA area has been inundated with schools of albies lately. Some a lot bigger than we normally see from the NJ shoreline.

Because of that, a friend of mine made 2 trips to the RI area last week. One morning I talked to him, and he was depressed. Then by the end of the day he had landed 5 and dropped a few others. Takes a lot of dedication and perseverance to do that. It's been similar in the MA canal area as well. One day a friend who lives there calls to tell you about the great bite. You make the 5 hour drive and find out that the weather changed and they're off the previous feeding pattern. It's a lot of driving and guessing to chase fish. It's always easier if you're a local.

What do you do if there are not many fish in your area at that moment? Lots of people, to be successful, are turning to nomad fishing.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9254-Nomad-Fishing-Travelling-to-the-Fish
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?7866-LI-Sound-Nomad-fishing
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?3857-The-life-of-a-nomad-tips-for-on-the-road-fishin

Once there is a bit of a pattern it becomes a little easier.

I salute anyone who can drive to a place 3 states away, twice in one week. The albie action up there is a lot better than here at this moment. Still sporadic, though, no guarantees. The thrill of catching one or a few...can be very addictive.....I completely understand that compulsion....:drool: :HappyWave:

robmedina
10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
fished moco ocean side from the yak- nada for me- had my eels chomped by small blues but no hook ups. Albies were being caught by other yakkers on small metal. Fished sun up till noon. bait slingers from land were hauling in skates from what I could see.

baitstealer
10-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Thats pretty cool that you were out among the albies. About how far off were they? In your opinion wouid you say we have a lot of chances of catching them from the surf in nj? It is mid october already and I haven't read of many being caught that way.

robmedina
10-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Thats pretty cool that you were out among the albies. About how far off were they? In your opinion wouid you say we have a lot of chances of catching them from the surf in nj? It is mid october already and I haven't read of many being caught that way. The albies were about 1/4 mile out and spread out to a few miles off shore. I can't say if they will come close enough to shore or not as I don't personally know. One yakker said he had been catching the albies for weeks now. I have never been out there with albies so I don't know their normal behavior but they were so spread out- there would be a few splashes and then nothing. Look 50 yards away and a few splashes 200 yards away a few splashes- then nothing in site for a while than an occasional splash. In that environment Luck was needed.

baitstealer
10-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks man. Should be a real thrill to get one on a kayak. good luck in the future and tight lines!

cowherder
10-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Well I didn't catch any false albacore this morning, but at least I tried. I got some bass before sunrise. then stopped at a few other beaches on my way home. Me and 2 other guys were the only ones casting for them. They were actually too far out to reach. We were casting anyway. They were close enough to see them jumping out of the water after the small bait, probably rainfish. When I was walking up to leave one of the guys that was casting with me got into one and then all the other guys got interested all of a sudden. Had to get to work or I would have stayed. Crazy.:kooky:

seamonkey
10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
If those gents fished cape may maybe they would be a little more enthusiastic. I rarely have seen them by us. Dont know why. A little jealous when I read reports about people having them in front and not even trying until they see a blitz.

hookset
10-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks. Been running around after work looking for them for the last 10 days and the best I came across was to see them bust water a few times. Will try to get out a little earlier for them today.

jigfreak
10-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Yeah they are fast moving. Had one shot at them yesterday. About 3 minutes. Was casting feverishly and zip. At least I got to see them. Hope you did better than me. They are definitely there if you know what to look for.

SharkHart
10-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Sat Night - No bass where they shoulda been headed back to OC and found 2 rats to at least sorta make it feel like striper fishing.

Sunday am on the boat- I thought it was going to be a windy day skunkaroo but the winds weren't bad and albies saved the day, and there were a lot of them in N mon area mini surface blitzes and birds for hours, had to be hundreds.....maybe a few get into the surf line?

hookset
10-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Nice job on the albies. That has got to be 7 or 8 lbs? What were they feeding on rainfish? Thanks

SharkHart
10-25-2015, 09:01 PM
I weighed a few for kicks and they were all twins around 7 lbs, yes rainfish, coughing up rainfish on the deck

surferman
10-26-2015, 07:45 AM
Those albies are a beautiful looking fish, good going.

finchaser
10-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Massive school of albies and Bonita by out side can of Shrewsbury rocks feeding on sand eels and rain fish no bass around as Shark hart said

SharkHart
10-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Yeah thats exactly where they were out to rattle snake and in about 1/2 mile off beach at times a pod was off Asbury too

buckethead
10-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Sunday am on the boat- I thought it was going to be a windy day skunkaroo but the winds weren't bad and albies saved the day, and there were a lot of them in N mon area mini surface blitzes and birds for hours, had to be hundreds.....maybe a few get into the surf line?

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19746&stc=1

Good to hear. I have seen them in the surf beyond the last breaker. They have been quick moving and in small pods. Usually when I'm getting ready to leave the beach. I have tied on small metal without hardware and thus far have not had any luck. I have heard of a few caught from the sand. it's nice to hear someone is doing well. They are a treat to catch and full of energy.

surfrob
10-28-2015, 07:03 AM
seems like albies were up and down the jersey coast last weekend(10/18)... Sunday seemed to be the peak down in dixie, with even Monday those getting a shot. I couldn't run out until Wednesday and heard from a local charter boat they were about 4 miles off by then. I don't do "4 miles off"... so no go for me.

a fellow fly angler caught them off the beach at the SH rip area the week prior as well.

doubt we'll get any more shots this fall with the blow coming in today.

seamonkey
10-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah I heard that too but did not see any. Guess some are luckier than others. It's like catching greased lightning.

surfrob
10-29-2015, 07:14 AM
this was up nawth that week (not me nor my photo...):

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e35/12142442_691005587667721_2025486803_n.jpg

seamonkey
08-23-2016, 05:57 PM
I would love to see them in Cape May but unfortunately not unless you're on a boat.
Here's the state record for PA congrats to a fellow PA angler!
http://news.delaware.gov/2016/07/01/new-delaware-record-20-5-pound-false-albacore-taken-in-masseys-canyon-by-pennsylvania-angler/

finchaser
08-23-2016, 08:21 PM
that's 40 miles off shore
They are with in 10 miles of beach in Manasquan

surferman
08-24-2016, 08:29 AM
It's still a great catch to be proud of, no?:d

captnemo
08-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the heads up finchaser.
May give them a shot next weekend

finchaser
08-25-2016, 05:28 PM
It's still a great catch to be proud of, no?:d

Yes sir just a tad out of our casting range

buckethead
08-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advance info. I have a feeling they will be moving closer inshore this week. Chicken dolphin already around, albies can't be far behind.

jigfreak
09-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Got 3 yesterday. 1 on metal, 2 on the teaser. They were in and out twice in a 15 minute period.

captnemo
09-30-2016, 03:53 PM
For anyone who can get out on a boat, now is prime time. We were out earlier in the week in between Shrewsbury rocks Monmouth Beach area and the Navy Pier. We were trolling small feathers and Clark spoons. Raised quite a few and they hit hard. most of ours were in the 5-pound range. 9 pounds is a nice one, but I did hear a friend of mine got one around 11 or 12 pounds so there are some big ones. The one glitch factor is these rains and storms which could kill it, as some of you have said. Good luck

baitstealer
09-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Was next to a guy who got one on metal this morning. The rest of us were catching small cocktail blues. His was the only one I saw. Bite died after that. The table is definitely set!

jigfreak
10-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Been chasing them for the last 2 weeks, not much luck. Yesterday they came in for a few minutes about an hour after sunrise. 2 were caught, then they vanished. Was out today, not a touch, building S wind. Thinking of making a trip up N. The albie action has been pretty spotty in NJ this year. At least for me, from the surf.

bababooey
10-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Crazy, 3-10 miles offshore they are roving around for a pretty decent bite. Must be all the dirty surf lately.

jigfreak
10-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Finally got into a few of the ghosts. They were in and out. Yesterday 3-5pm. Got one about 6# dropped 2. Saw a few others caught. Sandy beach where they sometimes come in.

jigfreak
10-18-2017, 02:35 PM
Got into a few more in the last couple days. They were getting a little bigger, got them up to 8 pounds. I have been trying to avoid the one place where everyone is lined up next to each other. It is a real sh*tshow. Been focusing around some inlets with limited success. Today they showed up off Seaside, but with all the time I spent chasing them lately I got to put in the time at work. Will be out later on looking. Good luck guys.

cowherder
10-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up. You really put your time in, congrats.

storminsteve
10-31-2017, 08:54 AM
Seems like they took a while to get a bite on from the surf this year, but they are sticking around really late. Hope the weekend's storm doesn't push them too far off. Haven't got one yet, will be trying later in the week before the next storm.