PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Trivia

Pebbles
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Lets start fishing trivia and see how much you sharpies know?

I'll post the first question with the answer later.

What is the modern name of the former "Zero Hour Bomb Company", inventors of the first spincasting reel?

HerringRollins
08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Zebco, but that was too easy, I see you must have gotten the question from an earlier post tonight. That's how I got it as well, so technically maybe I didn't win.;)

I can tell you a little more about that company though. Interesting history, from what I remember they were involved in armaments during the war, and decided to manufacture fishing reels as a way to diversify as the war revenue was declining. They were very successful, and brought fishing to the masses of Americans who now were beginning to have free time on their hands.

Their brand recognition diminished over time to the point where they were perceived by some as only manufacturing "cheap" products. However they managed to pull away from that in the 80's when they began to upgrade their presentations and started acquiring some of the promium reel manufacturers out there, one of them being VanStaal. Van Staal continued to be the gold standard of reels, along with ZeeBass.

Now they operate under the umbrella of WC Bradley, an amalgam of many reel manufacturers, each offering the angler a distinct experience defined by clever brand marketing.

A little VS history...
About Van Staal: Van Staal was founded in 1987 in Fairfield, Connecticut by Robert Koelewyn, an engineer and a perfectionist who took special pride in providing precision machining capabilities and designs to the aircraft industry. In the 90s he took interest in the fishing industry and wanted to build a more maintenance free, longer lasting fishing reel, thus the innovative and very unique Van Staal spinning reel was born.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb103.jpg
The NO LIMITATIONS Van Staal spinning comes in a well packaged box

Later in 2001, Reel Ventures LLC acquired the rights and assets to Van Staal. Reel Ventures continued to build these reels that were mainly used by hardcore East Coast striper anglers, along with fellow Australian anglers. Finally in 2003 W.C. Bradley took charge of Van Staal, and is focusing on bringing the brand back to what it used to be, a brand of reels for a special breed of hardcore anglers that demand the very most out of an ultra rugged reel.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb070.jpg
The stunning VSB100G comes with a very nice protective pouch

Impressions: Van Staal spinning reels aren’t like any other spinning reel on the market. These reels are very unique and even knowing what to expect, the stylish VSB100G is very impressive at first inspection. The gold spinning reel really shines and the intricately designed patterns command further inspection.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb111.jpg
Constructed out of premium components

The VSB100G is the new breed of Van Staal spinning reels featuring a manual trip bail system. This bail is made of super-strong titanium material complimenting the reel’s overall solid design very nicely.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb026.jpg
Check out the thick, durable Titanium bail wire

The long, extended handle with large knob immediately emphasizes the reel’s power while the design, in and of itself reassures any onlookers of the reel’s dependability and solidness that we’ve come to know as the Van Staal construction and design.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb117.jpg
A well ported design

The Design: So did Van Staal just take the traditional VSS model and slap on a Titanium bail system and call it the VSB? Absolutely not! The Van Staal VSB spinning reels, milled out of solid-stock aluminum, has the obvious bail on the outside including a new skirted spool, but there are also changes on the inside as well. On the original Van Staal spinning reels, the clutch was placed near the handle, which was great but made it difficult for anyone to maintain the reel. They have now moved it right below the rotor and have enlarged the anti-reverse clutch for superior power and control. In addition to the large anti-reverse bearing, the VSB makes use of an oversized hardened stainless steel main gear and a patented maintenance-free drag system.

http://www.tackletour.com/images2/picvanstaalvsb091.jpg
Below the rotor is an oversized anti-reverse clutch

Pebbles
08-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Correct and thanks for the info. Now lets see if you know the answer to this one:

The largemouth bass is the official state fish of how many states and what are they?

Frankiesurf
08-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Alabama,Florida, Mississippi and Georgia. Tennessee had the Largemouth but changed it to Smallmouth in 2005.

THe state fish for Hawaii is the Humuhumunukunukuapua`a. No joke.

porgy75
08-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Alabama,Florida, Mississippi and Georgia. Tennessee had the Largemouth but changed it to Smallmouth in 2005.

How did you know that, or did you search on google?:huh: and i would like to see a certified picture of the humminahummina fish, if that really does exist, or did you make that one up?:D

voyager35
08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
He's right about the Hawaii state fish, Porgy. I looked it up.

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/bigislandofhawaiiphotos/ig/hula_kai_photos/hula_kai_032.htm (http://gohawaii.about.com/od/bigislandofhawaiiphotos/ig/hula_kai_photos/hula_kai_032.htm)

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a - Lagoon Triggerfish and the State Fish of Hawaii

Pebbles
08-15-2009, 11:35 PM

correct! Next question:

What is the optium oxygen level for bass to be comfortable:
A) 1-3 parts per million
B) 4-6 ppm
C) 6-9 ppm
D) 9-12 ppm
E) over 20 ppm

7deadlyplugs
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
6-9ppm?

Pebbles
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Wrong!

9-12ppm

Come on guys I am challenging you!
Lets see what you men are made out of!

The cycle of a Steelheads life in which it returns to fresh water, spawns and returns to the ocean can be determined by...
A. Analysing mineral content in their bones
B. Their size, weight and colour
C. Counting the groups of concentric rings on their scales
D. Stable Isotope analysis

Frankiesurf
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't know what D is so I choose B. It would make sense that the size matters because of age, the weight because I assume they would be stocking up on food to make the trip and the color to determine where they have been (ie sandy bottom= light color dark color = rocky or muddy bottoms)

This is just a semi educated guess so it probably is D:don't know why:

skinner
08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
My choice is A. I figure maybe it is in the DNA of the bones.

Frankiesurf
08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
But then you would have to kill the fish.

Pebbles
08-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Sorry guys you are wrong again!

The answer is C - Counting the groups of concentric rings on their scales.

Scales have rings which are produced annually like a tree's rings. The grouping of closely knit rings usually indicates a year spent in fresh water and a group of rings that are spaced apart indicates a year in salt water. This happens because of growth rate changes. In the ocean a Steelhead has an abundant supply of rich food and thus grows more quickly than in fresh water. This causes the rings on it's scales to be spaced apart more than the rings produced while living in fresh water.

Pebbles
08-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I'll make this one easy for you.

What don't cat fish have that most fish do?

a) Scales

b) lateral lines

c) anal fins

d) venom

VSdreams
08-21-2009, 08:37 PM
They don't have scales.

Pebbles
08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Correct

I better try to get one more challenging

storminsteve
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey what happened with this thread Pebbles? I kind of missed it.

Easy one - what is the fish that is found both in saltwater and fresh, and there is a whole industry involved around it's eggs?

Frankiesurf
11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Sturgeon!

Pebbles
11-30-2009, 05:30 PM
What year was the first spinner lure created?

lostatsea
12-19-2009, 01:13 PM
1915. This was the creation of the William J. Jamison Co. The spinner that started it all was called the Twin Spinner is the grandpa of your modern spinner.
I had to search the internet for that, it was pretty tricky, I was thinking of somehow in the late 1800s they had stuff like that too.

new question;

Who invented the first level-wind design reel?

Frankiesurf
12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Was it Horrocks and Ibbotsen?

lostatsea
12-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Was it Horrocks and Ibbotsen?

Nope, not officially. Try again, the name is more well known.

stripercrazy
12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Black and Decker?:laugh:

williehookem
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Shakespeare!

How bout this?
Name the US president that precipitated today's bass fisheries?

Frankiesurf
12-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Not sure about this one. I would tend to go towards Teddy Roosevelt. He was a naturalist and concerned about fighting to preserve the state of Americas natural resources.

williehookem
12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Roosevelt it was. Good call frankiesurf.
Another one-----

1.) What fish is native to California?

A. Smallmouth Bass
B. Largemouth Bass
C. Striped Bass
D. Rainbow Trout
E. Brown Trout

vpass
12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I would guess it D.

williehookem
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
You got it VP. Now it's your turn to post one up.:clapping:

Pebbles
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Thomas Edison reportedly got his inspiration for the light bulb while doing this in July 1878?

A. Boating across Lake Michigan
B. Visiting the Grand Canyon
C. Hunting for Buffalo in Oklahoma
D. He was on a fishing trip in Wyoming

vpass
12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
How fast do flying fish "fly" ?
A: They average 15 mph
B: They average 20 mph
C: They average 25 mph
D: They average 35 mph

vpass
12-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Thomas Edison reportedly got his inspiration for the light bulb while doing this in July 1878?

A. Boating across Lake Michigan
B. Visiting the Grand Canyon
C. Hunting for Buffalo in Oklahoma
D. He was on a fishing trip in Wyoming

I think the Answer is D: Fishing trip in Wyoming

blitzhunter
12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I guess A. Boating across Lake Michigan.

Frankiesurf
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
How fast do flying fish "fly" ?
A: They average 15 mph
B: They average 20 mph
C: They average 25 mph
D: They average 35 mph

I think it is C

vpass
12-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I think it is C

Nope, One more Guess, Then I give the answer.

Pebbles
12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I think the Answer is D: Fishing trip in Wyoming

Correct Vpass the answer is Fishing trip

Frankiesurf
12-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Nope, One more Guess, Then I give the answer.

Ok then , it's D. I think 35mph might be fast for a little fish but I am sticking to it.

vpass
12-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Ding ding ding, We have a winner. The answer is 35mph. The Flying fish tops out at 45mph.

Frankiesurf
01-01-2010, 12:45 PM
What state has the most recreational fishermen?

vpass
01-01-2010, 12:55 PM
What state has the most recreational fishermen?

New Jersey

Frankiesurf
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Nope, it may just seem like that when your spot gets burned. Try again.

cowherder
01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
California?

vpass
01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Nope, it may just seem like that when your spot gets burned. Try again.

:ROFLMAO It does.

My second guess is Florida.

Frankiesurf
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Florida is correct.

Around 2.2 million anglers in saltwater alone.

cowherder
01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
8. Which of these is also known as horn pout?
sun fish
catfish
male bass
crappie

vpass
01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
The only one I could imagine is the Catfish. Catfish is my final Answer!:embarassed:

vpass
01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Which state has the largest quota for Commercially caught Striped bass?
A. New Jersey
B. New York
C. Virginia
D. Maryland

cowherder
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
The only one I could imagine is the Catfish. Catfish is my final Answer!:embarassed:

Catfish it is, VP.

surferman
01-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Which state has the largest quota for Commercially caught Striped bass?
A. New Jersey
B. New York
C. Virginia
D. Maryland

My answer is Maryland. I figure with the Bay Bridge there must be lots of commericals out there.

vpass
01-09-2010, 11:03 AM
My answer is Maryland. I figure with the Bay Bridge there must be lots of commericals out there.

That right Surferman the answer is Maryland.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bay quota 2,240,585 lbs.
Ocean quota 126,296 LBS.
2008 quotas

http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_MD/index

surferman
01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Which of these is the larger fish?

Wahoo
Carp
Parrot Fish
Warsaw Grouper

crosseyedbass
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Which of these is the larger fish?

Wahoo
Carp
Parrot Fish
Warsaw Grouper

warsaw grouper?? check this out, also don't mistake the goliath for the warsaw, big fines
PZhxBLxKZlo

November 19, 2009
An Alabama man faces a single misdemeanor charge after test results show the enormous grouper he and his fishing party landed off St. George Island was not a Warsaw grouper but a protected goliath grouper.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Investigator Eric Johnston said boat owner and operator Billy Daniels, Moody, Ala., has agreed to the terms of a "deferred prosecution agreement" with the state attorney's office in Apalachicola, which stipulates he pay a $150 fine and contribute $150 to Florida's Wildlife Alert Reward Program. The agreement spells out the misdemeanor charge will be dismissed after 90 days, assuming Daniels is not charged with other fish or wildlife law violations in Florida.
Daniels (DOB 05/24/58), his son, Shawn of Stanley, Kan., and two fishing buddies from Kansas, caught the gargantuan grouper they believed was a legal Warsaw grouper June 25, while fishing 15 miles southeast of St. George Island in 80 feet of water. Shawn Daniels actually caught the fish, which measured 82 inches long and 66 inches in girth and was estimated to weigh approximately 446 pounds.
They brought the grouper back to Bay City Lodge in Apalachicola, posed for photos and dressed the fish on the dock. After the photos and stories ran in numerous newspapers and showed up on Web sites and blogs, the calls started coming in to the FWC from those who thought the fish was a goliath grouper.
Johnston said Daniels turned over a sample of meat for DNA testing. He said Daniels has been nothing but cooperative during this period.
Daniels was cited rather than his son, who caught the fish, because as captain he is responsible for the fish being landed, Johnston said.
Goliath grouper numbers dropped precipitously in the 1970s and 1980s because of overfishing. The species has been protected in Florida waters since 1990.
Experienced offshore anglers say Warsaw grouper are usually found in 300-400 feet of water. Goliath grouper are typically found in more shallow coastal waters

ledhead36
01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Which fish is also called a horn pout?

Frankiesurf
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Is it catfish?

ledhead36
02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes it is!:thumbsup:

CharlieTuna
02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Can you name the phobia that means a fear of fish?

A. Ichthyophobia
B. Limnophobia
C. Entomophobia
D. Pantophobia

buckethead
02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
A. Ichthyophobia?

CharlieTuna
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Correct, buckethead.

williehookem
02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
How do Anarctic icefish survive in freezing water?
1. Special antifreeze chemicals in their blood
2. Extra layers of fat which earned them the nickname "Puffy Fish"
3. Constant high level of motion to keep blood circulating
4. There is no such fish

Frankiesurf
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I pick #4 even though I am probably wrong.

vpass
02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
How do Anarctic icefish survive in freezing water?
1. Special antifreeze chemicals in their blood
2. Extra layers of fat which earned them the nickname "Puffy Fish"
3. Constant high level of motion to keep blood circulating
4. There is no such fish

I remember hearing about fish with antifreeze properties in their blood. So I pick #1 Special antifreeze chemicals in their blood.

7deadlyplugs
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM
My vote is number one. There are all kinds of fish out there why not antartic ice fish.

williehookem
02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I remember hearing about fish with antifreeze properties in their blood. So I pick #1 Special antifreeze chemicals in their blood.

You are right.

There are many different types of fish in Antarctica which you can find very interesting.

The ice fish is interesting because it has antifreeze which keeps it's body from freezing.

There is another fish called cod. It is very big and can grow to the average size of 18-39 inches. The cod weighs up to 10-11 pounds. The cod is usually more on the grayer side. and migrates usually to the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The cod also has antifreeze in it's body which keeps it from freezing during the Antarctic winters.

All fish have a very simple structure with gills, a dorsal fin, pectoral fins, and a tail fin. The color of fish is usually gray, red, black, or silver. Most of the fish there eat krill. Krill is a type of plankton which whales eat also. The fish also eat plants and crabs.

Unlike whales and sharks, the fish can go very deep down under water. Fish usually swim in schools for protection. The fish stay in Antarctica in the summer and the spring and migrate in the fall and the winter. These fish migrate to almost all of the oceans, but some fish just go farther away from Antarctica. When they migrate to the other oceans, they lay 5,000 to 5,000,000 eggs.

voyager35
03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
When was fishing line invented?

Pebbles
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
It was first used in China in 3000BC.

For modern day the nylon line was invented by Dupont in 1938.

Pebbles
03-31-2010, 04:06 PM
We all know that fish travel in schools, but do you know some other plural fishey names?

A. Clutch
B. Shoal
C. Draft
D. Wave
E. All of the above
F. None of the above

Frankiesurf
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Shoal is my guess.

Pebbles
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
So far you re only half right. What could be another choice?

Frankiesurf
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Then it would have to be all of the above.

Pebbles
05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Just how fast can a fish swim?

A. Never over 40 mph
B. Barely 50 mph
C. About 60 mph
D. Over 70 mph

baitstealer
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
My guess is 50 mph. I think the tuna can reach speeds that high.

albiealert
12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
What was a fish that didn't exist on the West Coast, and brought across the country for stocking from the East?

Pebbles
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
striped bass?

albiealert
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
And Pebbles is correct!
You're it!
Now it's your turn to post the question.:HappyWave::fishing:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/history.asp

Striped Bass History

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/images/icon_history.gif There were originally no striped bass in California. They were introduced from the East Coast, where they are found from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to Alabama. The initial introduction took place in 1879, when 132 small bass were brought successfully to California by rail from the Navesink River in New Jersey and released near Martinez. Fish from this lot were caught within a year near Sausalito, Alameda, and Monterey, and others were caught occasionally at scattered places for several years afterwards. There was much concern by the Fish and Game Commission that such a small number of bass might fail to establish the species, so a second introduction of about 300 stripers was made in lower Suisun Bay in 1882.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/images/history4.gifhttp://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/images/history2.gifIn a few years, striped bass were being caught in California in large numbers. By 1889, a decade after the first lot of eastern fish had been released, bass were being sold in San Francisco markets. In another 10 years, the commercial net catch alone was averaging well over a million pounds a year. In 1935, however, all commercial fishing for striped bass was stopped in the belief that this would enhance the sport fishery.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/delta/stripedbass/images/history1.gif

Striped bass have long been one of California’s top-ranking sport fish. About 300,000 sport anglers fish for stripers in California each year. Many of them fish in the San Fransico Bay and delta area, and annually catch over 200,000 fish. These spend over $24 million for goods and services directly connected with striped bass. Although the primary West Coast population of striped bass is located in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Estuary, they are not confined to this area. Due to their migratory nature, striped bass have been caught from Mexico to British Columbia. As early as 1896, they were reported in the coastal streams of Oregon , where they have established sizeable populations in Coos Bay and the Umpqua River.

Pebbles
12-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Known as one of the fastest fish, tunas are also built for long-distance endurance. How far do tuna migrate?

A. 7700 miles
B. 770 miles
C. 77 miles
D. 7 miles

dogfish
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
7700 miles.

How about this?
What creature, now considered a delicacy, was once though of as trash fish, the fish of poor folks, as it was available to early New England colonists by the boatloads?

captnemo
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Lobster.
Next - what fish has been an important economic commodity in international markets since the Viking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking) period? (around A.D. 800).

finchaser
01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
cod and mermaids

bababooey
02-28-2013, 10:51 AM
^^^ Mermaids are definitely important. Wish I could keep one in my pool.:pig::laugh:

bababooey
02-28-2013, 10:52 AM
What is the slowest growing inshore East Coast fish, fished for recreationally?

storminsteve
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Blackfish? Was gonna say tilefish but you said inshore.

bababooey
03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Bingo winner! Steve you are up next, your turn.

storminsteve
03-01-2013, 03:13 PM
ok here goes
What were the first fishhooks made out of?

dogfish
09-09-2013, 10:24 AM
I know that Steve they had to be made out of bone that was what was available to them way back when. Also saw it on Survivorman.
Here's a good one -
"What colorful name can a dogfish also go by? This can also be another name for a nurse shark. "

cowherder
10-23-2013, 08:19 AM
^^^^ That one was too hard dogfish! I had to cheat and look it up.

A dogfish can also be, oddly enough, a type of catshark, and can also be an alternate name for a nurse shark.

cowherder
10-23-2013, 08:20 AM
How about this one who knows it?

The color in this fish's name was actually named AFTER the fish, based on the common pinkish color of the flesh. Though I won't make this too easy by giving you some more widely known species of this fish, I will say that the coho and the coastal cutthroat trout are part of this fish family. What fish, without the word "fish" in its name, might this be?

surferman
09-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Has to be salmon.
I'll play -
Dolphins travel in family groups called what?

7deadlyplugs
07-22-2015, 06:23 PM
surfer- I believe they are called pods.
Here's one, pretty easy

What creek in NJ is famous for an early century death from shark attack. No fair if you had to google it either.:rolleyes: