PDA

View Full Version : stupid is as stupid does, closing the NY fluke season

7deadlyplugs
08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Anyone else think it's the stupidest thing going to close the fluke season so soon? You have to go through 40 fish to get one keeper, if you are lucky. And now just when the fluking is starting to be worthwhile, the season is closed? :burn:

BassBuddah
08-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I have no faith in their figures and projections anymore. I obey the law, I think it's important. I do think it's a matter of time before people just give up fishing for them and put heavier pressure on bass, or make trips to NJ where the regs are smaller, or decide on their own that they want to bring a fluke home and stop complying with the law. People can only take so much of what they perceive to be an injustice. Remember the Boston tea party. :learn:

bluesdude71
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Whether you like it or not the regulations are in place for a reason. If they extend the season or size of the fish allowed to be kept then there will be nothing left to catch. There are too many people out there who abuse the system already and are not caught.

Jackbass
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Whether you like it or not the regulations are in place for a reason. If they extend the season or size of the fish allowed to be kept then there will be nothing left to catch. There are too many people out there who abuse the system already and are not caught.

For Example

TWO CHARTER BOAT CAPTAINS CHARGED IN DEC INVESTIGATION DEC Police Investigation Results in 53 Summons for Illegally Catching and Consuming Fluke on Board

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs) issued 53 summons over the weekend after investigating allegations that two Montauk-based party boats and their crew were assisting party boat passengers to illegally catch and consume fluke.

According to Region One ECO Captain Timothy Huss, ECOs began their investigation after receiving complaints that customers aboard the Marlin Princess VI and Miss Montauk, were filleting and eating fluke while on board.

On Aug. 9, four plains clothes officers (two per vessel) boarded the boats and documented that customers were filleting fluke on board, failing to keep fluke racks, keeping undersized fluke and keeping over the limit fluke. Officers observed customers eating raw fillets while the trip was ongoing -- and that they were being advised by vessel personnel to dispose of undersized fish and to hide illegal fillets.

A total of 53 summons wer issued, including tickets to the mates and captains of each vessel. All charges are violations and carry a penalty of up to $250 per violation. More than 60 fluke were seized as part of the investigation.

The law enforcement operations was a joint operation between DEC Region One (Stony Brook) ECOs and ECOs from DEC's Marine Enforcement Unit. United States Coast Guard personnel also assisted in the law enforcement operation.

Individuals spotting illegal activities are encouraged to call DEC’s Environmental Conservation Officers at (631) 444-0250 during business hours, and 1-877-457-5680 or 1-800-TIPP-DEC at all other times to report suspected illegal activities.

williehookem
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I do think it's a matter of time before people ....or decide on their own that they want to bring a fluke home and stop complying with the law. People can only take so much of what they perceive to be an injustice.

It looks like they are already doing that, (not that I agree).
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=22650#post22650
Sorry jackbass, didn't see your post, I posted the same info as well.

rockhopper
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!":argue: I hate the regulations too, but I guess we're all sheep.:embarassed:

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
This will sum it up for you.

Jim Donofrio Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9lFyb71GWU)

nitestrikes
08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
^^"the science is bad we have to find anew way to get figures...the Pew trust dreamland state...800lb gorilla":kooky: Who is the Pew Trust and how do we combat them?

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
You can combat them with a few billion dollars. Just enough to buy a s**tload of politicians or join the RFA.

From what I understand, the bad science was skewed numbers from, I think, 2006 surveys.