PDA

View Full Version : NY Saltwater License Update

Frankiesurf
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
I spoke to Assemblyman Thiele's office I was informed that the bill passed the Legislature but not the Senate. His bill was to just stop the implementation of fees for the Oct 1 -Dec 31 license and have only to pay for the calendar year 2010 (Jan 1-Dec 31) but still having to register for the license.

I then spoke to the DEC offices in Albany and in East Setauket and both were in accord in saying that they had been told that the license will indeed go into effect on Oct 1 with anglers having to renew by Jan 1. You will have to pay for both. The licenses will become available sometime in September. They have not been updated with any other news.

I also contacted Assemblyman Sweeney's office. He had proposed a bill to put off the license until at least Jan 1, foregoing anyone to need the license from the original dates of Oct 1 - Dec 31. I was told that as of now the delay in getting the license from Oct 1 has passed in the Assembly but was struggling to to find a sponsor in the Senate. After three Senators had turned down the sponsorship due to the Senate Majority issue the state went through. In the past few weeks they had Sen. Foley sign on as a sponsor. As of now it had not gone through the Senate. There was a special session last week but that bill got shuffled right out of it. Sweeney's office does think it will garner more support as Sweeney is a Democrat and the Democrats are in majority,but hope it will be in time for the October deadline.

Jackbass
08-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds like the whole thing is pretty Garbled up Frankie. I am at this point Planning on obtaining a License for the Montauk trip in October.

Frankiesurf
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
The Rhodies may not need one but you might if it stays the way it is.

DarkSkies
08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the updates, and the follow up calls, Frankie. :thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I say they start the clock, and the money collecting, on Jan1. Anything else doesn't make sense.

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally it was slated to begin with the freshwater and hunting licenses which all begin October 1st. I am not exactly sure why they wanted to change it. I believe maybe it was because of the bass fall run or just interrupting a few other species seasons.

I had reported this on another fishing forum. Most were satisfied with my research there was one who has a problem with it. If anyone has a problem with it feel free to PM me. If ALMOST (they know who they are)anyone has anymore questions you can't get answered then feel free to post them and I will see what I can do.

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
The Federal guidelines are that the license must be implemented by January 1st 2010. I still do not know why they are charging for 3 months of it. According to a well known tackle shop owner, he thinks it is just an excuse to raise the price come the new year.

I guess we will see.

Frankiesurf
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
One more thing. The NY License will be reciprocal with NJ, CT and RI. So when October 1st rolls around, CT residents will be covered. Rhode Island and New Jersey residents will need to purchase a non-resident license until their respective licenses go into effect.

Annual non-resident - $15
7- day non-resident - $10
One day non-resident - $5

At least it is not too expensive.

Frankiesurf
08-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Another update from a reliable source.

I have been told that the DEC may have the option for anglers to obtain the license by October 1 and have carry through to Dec 31 2010.

We shall see...