PDA

View Full Version : hurricane bill

stripermania
08-20-2009, 10:13 AM
How is this going to effect our fishing? Would it be the same as any storm fishing is good before and after?

Stripercoast1
08-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I"m out tonight and tomorrow.
I'm out Tuesday night into Wednesday.
Before and after should kick up things quite a bit.
the last few times I fished around a Hurricane it did anyway.

cowherder
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
The water is muddy after we have a heavy storm, I can't imagine why it would be different for a hurricane. It seems to me that fishing before would make more sense. They said the swells will be high, be careful.:scared:

Stripercoast1
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
4 to 6 tides cycles should clean out the junk. The water will be flipped by the storm causing large fish to come in closer to the beach. I can't remember which Hurricane it was, but, we caught large grouper in the surf in the days following the storm. Late 80's, it was the 1 that wrecked Charleston, S.C.. Hugo? maybe.

Jackbass
08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Large Grouper From the Surf Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

plugginpete
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Get the surfboards ready for the great swell!:dribble:

CharlieTuna
08-21-2009, 05:08 PM
The last report I heard said it was further out than anticipated, but the closest it will come to land will be Cape Cod and Nantucket, sometime tomorrow.

storminsteve
08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I was fishing at Sandy Hook this morning and the swell was starting to build up. I would not want to be out on a boat in this crazy weather. Especially the commercial fishermen guys, I know there is not a lot of love for the commercials, but it's a risky job during times like this.:scared:

cowherder
08-21-2009, 06:12 PM
4 to 6 tides cycles should clean out the junk. The water will be flipped by the storm causing large fish to come in closer to the beach. I can't remember which Hurricane it was, but, we caught large grouper in the surf in the days following the storm. Late 80's, it was the 1 that wrecked Charleston, S.C.. Hugo? maybe.

So according to this logic about the water flipping, should we be fishing after it passes by, at night, because that will stir things up?

DarkSkies
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
How is this going to effect our fishing? Would it be the same as any storm fishing is good before and after?

I don't want to put anyone at risk or make any suggestions to imply they should not be careful out there. Last night I noticed how hot the water was, it was almost like being in a sauna. Yet there was bait by the thousands. Pods were passing by and milling about every few seconds. I have been waiting for concentrations like this all summer.

So while not encouraging people to go out and put themselves at risk, I would say that if the hurricane puts water temps down at least 10 degrees, we could be in for some incredible fishing soon after. :fishing:

You can't predict things like this because there are a lot of factors. How much did the temps go down? What are the winds like? What is the after-storm swell like?

I can say that as we reach the fall season, when conditions are unsettled are when I have had my best fishing.

If you know an area of clearer water that holds bait and isn't too risky, we might see some nice action within the first 24 hours as the pressure swings back to normal.

nitestrikes
08-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Clams will be tossed on the beach after this. Fish clams and you can't go wrong.

bluesdude71
08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
^^ I agree, clams or bait.

VSdreams
08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I heard the swells are going to be around 15' to 20'.

finchaser
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I heard the swells are going to be around 15' to 20'.

that's in the canyons 4 to 7 at the beach
Water has dropped 7 degrees since yesterday do to south winds

Frankiesurf
08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Montauk yesterday the waves topped out at I would say 8 feet. It was a slow cycle so you had a chance to time your casts and also hit the standing white water. There were a couple of doozy's thrown into the mix though.

johnnysaxatilis
08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
deffinately a couple doozies this afternoon :eek: