PDA

View Full Version : Short fluke undercover sting on the Big Mohawk

bababooey
08-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm very surprised to read this news. Chris Hueth has a good rep among the party boat circuit and among other anglers. It's unbelievable to hear things went down that way, but I guess the undercover F&W officers had the evidence. It's sad news to me, that's all I have to say.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2009/marinelaw8-09.htm

Party Boat Captain, Crewmen and Patrons On the Hook for Undersized Summer Flounder Violations

August 20, 2009
New Jersey conservation officers, posing as anglers out for a day of fishing aboard a Belmar party boat, caught the captain and his first mate deliberately killing undersized summer flounder and filleting them for bait to boost patrons’ chances of landing the popular fish.
The captain and owner of the Big Mohawk, Christopher W. Hueth, 48, of Spring Lake; his first mate James R. Dugan Jr., 50, of Belmar; and another crewman, Michael A. Worrall, 32, of Hamilton, face thousands of dollars in penalties for a variety of marine fish violations witnessed by the undercover officers. Five patrons of the Big Mohawk also were hit with summonses.
Conservation officers with the Marine Law Enforcement Region (http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/lawhome.htm) of the Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Fish and Wildlife launched the undercover operation after receiving tips about Big Mohawk’s deliberate, illegal harvesting of undersized summer flounder, also known as fluke. During the deep-sea excursion, the conservation officers witnessed the first mate killing the undersized summer flounder by grabbing the tail and banging the fish’s head into the deck of the boat. The fish then were filleted while crewmen repeatedly bragged that the Big Mohawk caught more fluke than other party vessels because it used summer flounder as bait.
Undercover conservation officers also saw patrons keep undersized summer flounder and throw the short fish onto the fillet table, where the crew chopped them up for bait. The lawmen counted at least 25 carcasses of flounder illegally caught and filleted.
In New Jersey, the recreational summer flounder size limit is a minimum of 18 inches, and anglers are allowed to keep six fish per day.
When the boat docked after the Aug. 15 trip, uniformed state conservation officers conducted a thorough inspection and, in addition to the captain and crew members, apprehended five party boat patrons.
Hueth, the Big Mohawk’s owner and captain, received summonses for discarding parts of summer flounder before docking, and filleting fish under the minimum size limit -- a violation of the vessel’s Special Fillet Permit. This permit, issued by the DEP’s Division of Fish and Wildlife, allows party fishing vessels to fillet legal-size fish while at sea, but requires the vessel to retain all carcasses for potential inspection by state conservation officers. Conviction for a first-time violation results in a 60-day suspension of the special permit.
Dugan, the first mate, was cited for discarding parts of summer flounder and filleting undersized fish. Conservation officers issued summonses to Worrall, the other crewman, after they saw him selling seven summer flounder to two patrons. According to state regulations, summer flounder can only be sold to an authorized summer flounder dealer.

If convicted, Big Mohawk’s captain and his two mates face penalties of up to $3,000 for each of the summonses issued to them. The identities of the five patrons, all from New Jersey, and the summonses lodged against them are as follows:

Jung K. Cha, 56, of Wayne; possession of three summer flounder measuring less than 18 inches.
Jong N. Kim, 56, of Palisades Park; Joseph V. Mercurio, 54, of Newton, and Stephen J. Thomas, 56, of Hillside, were each cited for taking five summer flounder over the daily bag limit.
Scott S. Rever, 40, of Basking Ridge, received a summons for taking one summer flounder over the daily bag limit.
The anglers face a penalty of $30 for each summer flounder possessed or taken illegally. Law-abiding anglers and other sportsmen and sportswomen who witness fish or wildlife violations are encouraged to call Operation Game Thief (http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ogt.htm) at 800-222-0456.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/images/transparent.gif

gjb1969
08-21-2009, 01:13 AM
well crap happens talking crap and bragging not cool that makes all the pb look bad but i guess they dont care its all abought the money thats why i dont go on that boat pulled some bs on me once and i never went back so as far as i am conserned they got what they had comeing:)

ledhead36
08-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Chris Hueth has a good rep among the party boat circuit and among other anglers. http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2009/marinelaw8-09.htm

Party Boat Captain, Crewmen and Patrons On the Hook for Undersized Summer Flounder Violations

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/images/transparent.gif

It sounds like you are friends with that guy. Did you read that article? The way it seemed to me, this was an institutionalized practice aboard the Big Mohawk. The mates were "bragging that they always caught more keepers than anyone else because they were using short fluke racks". How can you feel bad for a guy like that? You know if they were doing that the day they got caught, they did it every day. When I go fluke fishing I have to comply with the laws. I only caught 10 keepers this year and have been out over 30 times. I must have thrown back about 500 fluke, many that were 17 7/8". :don't know why:So why should a little guy like me have to comply, and these ******** think they are above the law? No way, throw the book at them. Maximum fines for all including the mates and fares that got caught, but especially for Hueth. :burn:

jigfreak
08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
It's crazy with the fluke laws are the way they are in NJ. In NY it's 21", so people should suck it up and stop :waaah: The laws apply equally to everyone, otherewise why bother writing them. Maximum fines for all, guilty as charged.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

Monty
08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
What he :thumbsup: said

It's crazy with the fluke laws are the way they are in NJ. In NY it's 21", so people should suck it up and stop :waaah: The laws apply equally to everyone, otherewise why bother writing them. Maximum fines for all, guilty as charged.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

porgy75
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
x3!!!! I am not a great fishierman by any means, but I know what the regs are, I know I have to follow them. I even know that small snapper bluefish count toward the total bluefish count, so you can only keep 15. So why should a big boat like that get away with what they did. They are poachers, pure and simple.:beatin:

storminsteve
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
It sounds like you are friends with that guy. Did you read that article? The way it seemed to me, this was an institutionalized practice aboard the Big Mohawk. The mates were "bragging that they always caught more keepers than anyone else because they were using short fluke racks". How can you feel bad for a guy like that? You know if they were doing that the day they got caught, they did it every day. When I go fluke fishing I have to comply with the laws. I only caught 10 keepers this year and have been out over 30 times. I must have thrown back about 500 fluke, many that were 17 7/8". :don't know why:So why should a little guy like me have to comply, and these ******** think they are above the law? No way, throw the book at them. Maximum fines for all including the mates and fares that got caught, but especially for Hueth. :burn:

The arrogance and disregard for the law by all onboard the Big Mohawk is appalling. They were caught on a Aug 15 trip, that's a SATURDAY! If you have ever been aboard a party boat you know that the regulars sometimes get special treatment, positions, etc from the captain. One trip on the FreddyC out of Leonardo and you would know what I mean. The fact that they did this on a saturday, with a lot of people on board that they weren't sure about, tells me they have absolute disregard for the law on a daily basis. Why should they be more priveleged than all of us other suckers who have to throw the fluke back?:don't know why: And I say suckers because I believe it, I think it's the stupidest thing ever, like Dark and some others said, why have regulations like this if all you are doing is targeting female fluke to keep? These guys needed to be made an example for the benefit of us poor slobs who catch fluke after fluke that are just under the limit every day, and begrudgingly throw them back, because we feel we have to respect the law even if we don't agree with it. There should be no fishermen in NJ that are above the law. And that especially goes for this captain and crew, who are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL ha ha. Hat's off to the NJDFW undercover officers who made it happen.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::cl apping:

wish4fish
08-21-2009, 08:04 PM
losers:2flip:

nitestrikes
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Ho ho you guys make me laugh. Whining about 18" fluke limits. On another site a thread about this is up to 5 pages already, saying how bad the regs are that taking short fish is justified. Come on up to LI and fish for fluke under our regs, and then tell me how bad things are in NJ. At least you guys still have a fluke season, ours is closed already.:kooky:

bababooey
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
There is a good discussion going on now on NJ101.5 for anyone who gets that station. The Dennis and Judy show.

cardoc765
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Speaking of keeping illegal fish and overlimits. What is with the guys on the piers all over keeping fingerling blues by the buckets to fry them up. I have even seen them all over keeping buckets of bait sized blues. Also see guys taking short fish from some of the bay beaches. I just don't get it. Most of them don't speak or speak very little english, but they do know they have short fish. It pisses me off cause i abide by all rules. Even when i had my baot and would fish the RB. There is an invisible line that divides ny from nj, and if i was fishing the Ny side of that line and the fish was illegal there or back on the nj side i would let it go. There was another boat recently this year that got in trouble the same way too. I just don't get it. :burn::burn::burn:

stripermania
09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I know someone who goes over to the losers who keeps shorts and takes them right out of the bucket and puts them back. He hollers about the calling the authorities and tells them if they try keeping shorts when he is around again they should plan on going swimming.