PDA

View Full Version : snapper bluefish.. liveline them or just cut them up for bait in the surf?

porgy75
08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I was at a back bay spot yesterday and the snapper blues seemed like they were going crazy on the small baitfish. Is that the extent of the fish in the back bay, snappers and small fluke? Or would it make sense to liveline them for a bigger fish. Would that be better towards dark, or can you catch big fish in the bay and surf in the middle of the summer day? The people catching them were putting them in buckets. Some said they were going to eat them, others said they were going to use later for bait, but I could find nobody who knew about livelining, so I thought I would ask here. Thanks

wish4fish
08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
u need deeper water for the big boys to come and eat the snappers, depends on how long the snappers are,are they under 6" or 9", if small u can liveline them in the back but i would liveline them in an inlet at night off the tip, be ready for a heavy hit:wow: or i would just cut them up into pieces and fish for fluke, weakies, or some other fish good luck

Stripercoast1
08-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Live line.
In a past life, when I actually owned sand spikes and sinkers, I would use them on Fluke rigs I used to own. I used the small ones and the larger all the way up to 8 or 9 inches.
If you can reach 20 feet of water you can reach fluke.
They are also good for Bass in the evening and under the cover of darkness. Keeping them alive can be an issue. You need a really good pump or a bait pen.

surfstix1963
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Liveline them the weaks,stripers and big fluke love them.

williehookem
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM
What they said, I like the ones from 6-9" the best, and they will survive longer than peanut bunker.

dogfish
08-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Liveline them and cut the bottom part of their tail off so they have to swim deeper.