PDA

View Full Version : are you an Angler or a Fisherman

stripercrazy
08-25-2009, 12:10 AM
Are you an angler or a fisherman

Wait a Minute.. Who Cares if You are an Angler or Fisherman? Somebody Does... Believe it!

Make Sure to see our summary and answer
HERE (http://www.anglersaddiction.com/angler-or-fisherman.html#answer) to determine if you are a Fisherman or Angler (http://www.anglersaddiction.com/angler-or-fisherman.html#answer).
There must be a difference, right? After all, the words appear in writing and conversations all the time. But, why the need for an angler magazine AND a fisherman magazine?
Let's Start with Official Definitions

Angler
A person catching fish or shellfish with no intent to sell. This includes people releasing the catch.
An angler is one who uses a rod and reel to catch any species of fish.

A scheming person; someone who schemes to gain an advantage
a fisherman who uses a hook and line.

The angler, also sometimes called fishing-frog, frog-fish, or sea-devil (Lophius piscatorius), is a fish well known off the coasts of Great Britain and much of Europe. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angler
Fisherman
Someone whose occupation is catching fish.

A fisherman is a person who engages in the activity of fishing. Some fishermen do this as their profession, and may belong to a cooperative, corporation, or union. Other people fish for sport, such as most of anglers (who fish with a hook). Fishing may also be a subsistence activity.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisherman

One who engages in fishing for sport or occupation.

See the Difference Yet? Summarizing based on the definitions, tells us this...

From Angler Definitions:
A person catching fish or shellfish with no intent to sell. This includes people releasing the catch.
That says anglers catch fish. Apparently fishermen only "engage in the activity of fishing". That makes most of us fishermen, not anglers.
An angler is one who uses a rod and reel to catch any species of fish.
Wait... that says anglers use a rod and reel. But, don't fishermen? Well by definition, most of us have become anglers again.
An angler is a scheming person; someone who schemes to gain an advantage a fisherman who uses a hook and line.
Wooooah... that says anglers are more devious in their fishing than fishermen. Please tell me that does not mean anglers tell bigger and better fish stories than do fishermen!From Fisherman Definitions:
Someone whose occupation is catching fish.
Hey even the definition says a fisherman's "occupation" is catching fish -- it does not say the catch fish the way anglers do!

One who engages in fishing for sport or occupation.
And again... a definition says a fisherman "engages in" catching fish, not necessarily catching them.

Now... Let's Look at Internet Search Characteristics

Google ads appear when searching for ANGLER in Google -- no ads appear when searching for FISHERMAN.
This must say businesses must want to SELL to anglers, NOT fishermen!
When searching for ANGLER TIPS there are about 1.1 million results... for FISHERMAN TIPS there are 1.9 million results.
This must say that FISHERMEN need more tips (help) than do anglers. Well, it's consistent with the "catching" and "trying to catch fish" theme.
Hopefully You Took Time to Read Above Just How we Arrived at this Conclusion...

<LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12px">An ANGLER catches fish... A FISHERMAN does not! <LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12px">ANGLERS tell bigger fish stories than do FISHERMEN! <LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12px">Anglers are better fishermen than fishermen...
OR is that anglers are better anglers than fishermen?
ANGLERS have money... FISHERMEN don't... (maybe that explains it all... more $$$ for boats, tackle, guides, books, makes you a better fisherman (or is that a better angler and not a fisherman?)

http://www.anglersaddiction.com/angler-or-fisherman.html

BassBuddah
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
FISHERMEN don't... (maybe that explains it all... more $$$ for boats, tackle, guides, books, makes you a better fisherman (or is that a better angler and not a fisherman?)

http://www.anglersaddiction.com/angler-or-fisherman.html

I thought it sad that there is this divide between some in the sport. I know folks who have not much money or the best gear, yet they are the best Anglers I know, and give advice freely.

wish4fish
05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
dude i and my buds will catch more bass at nite on bunker with our $100 setups than all the dudes with the zeebass and vanstallls a lot of those dudes dont kno what they r doing so i hear you its not about the gear its about the dude fishing

captnemo
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I think we all go through different stages as we gain experience. My .02.