PDA

View Full Version : When you buy fishing items what is the deciding factor?

crosseyedbass
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Dollars are tight lately so I like to hear about a fishing item before I purchase it.

DarkSkies
09-02-2009, 10:12 AM
A question like this is good, crosseyed bass, but sometimes it's better to be a little more specific. I'm tryin to save ya from some sarcastic responses here. ;)

What I do is ask myself if I really need it. If you have 5 plugs by the same maker, similar profile, maybe you don't need the extra one you feel compelled to buy just because it has scales. :kooky:

There are a lot of products out there that are designed to catch fishermen, and not fish. Ask yourself if the product you are thinking of buying will fit a strategic gap in the offerings or gear you have.

For example, you don't fish jetties much, should you go out and buy $1500 worth of gear just because you want to start, and maybe wade in the surf, requiring more durable gear?

What I have done is buy one item at a time, starting with the thing that is most likely to offer the most utility for me entering into that avenue I'm interested in.

Then, when you have more of a perspective, and can talk to a few sharpies who use those items, you can line up the next thing on your "need" list.

I have been frugal about spending my hard earned dollars, so you don't necessarily have to follow my advice. What works for you is what you are comfortable with, and your remarks about the economy led me to believe you have a budget as well.

We have product review forums here:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Hope that helped. :D

Monty
09-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Something that increases my fishing pleasure.
Quality and reliability.
I also do as much research on something as I can about something like a reel, rod, surf bag, line even plugs.
Also been selling stuff that does not get used and then upgrading stuff I use all the time.

Dollars are tight lately so I like to hear about a fishing item before I purchase it.

gjb1969
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
well for me its two things i want quality and a good price so if it last a good while cool and if the price dose not break the bank thats cool to so just look around and take your time to find what u want at the price u can afford but dont go to low because if it gose bad u dont want to put money in to junk goodluck tite lines and good fishin :HappyWave:

bababooey
09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
:thumbsup: for quality. I would rather pay more for fishing gear the first time, than buy it twice because it is garbage and falls apart.

surfstix1963
09-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Quality would be first I do not run out to buy a plug because someone caught a big fish on it I have found if you stick with the basics they will serve you well if you give them the chance if you go out and your changing lures non stop think about it your not getting much fishing time in, if you try to train yourself to know what lures work best under different situations you will carry a lot less crap and be more effective at fishing.But if you must take the whole bag with you limit your plugs to a darker color and 1 lighter color.Bucktails are the only thing I carry in different weights and colors because they can match and catch just about anything that swims don't forget the porkrind.Just my .02 cents

jonthepain
09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
When I needed a new plug bag, I found a heavy duty canvas Swiss army surplus bread bag for five bucks that I modified a little, and it's perfect.

That's 20 yrs ago and it still works great.

DarkSkies
09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Did it look something like this, jon? :HappyWave:
I attached a link for one as well, but they're sold out. Looks pretty durable, do you still own the one you modified? Got pics?

http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-glx-sbb.asp