PDA

View Full Version : The color of hooks

jigfreak
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
We do a lot of talking here about the color of lures and how they produce. They also have lots of different colored hooks. For me so long as it does not have rust on it I'm good to go. Any thoughts on colored hooks?

storminsteve
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Some companies supposably researched it and they found red was a good color because it mimics the fish's gills which are flared in times of distress. I don't know if it works or not. I tried red hooks, and I haven't seen that they catch any better, or quicker.

Frankiesurf
09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
That's funny, because red is the first color of the spectrum to disappear underwater. I thought maybe it was supposed to represent a bleeding fish but maybe it is supposed to disappear. Or just maybe they catch fishermen even better.

I have a few red ones that came on some freshwater lures and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

surfstix1963
09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
I really do not make a big deal out of hook color but I do use a red or black marker on the hooks after they are sharpened to fend off rust after the metal has been exposed to the air after sharpening,so I guess if color made the difference use a red marker.One thing for sure is that bunker have their gills flared almost continuously to provide oxygen and to filter the food so in that case maybe red would do something.