PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for Sept 2009

DarkSkies
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
NY fishing reports for Sept 2009
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Frankiesurf you won the plug in the August random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

BassBuddah
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Fished M in the predawn hours. Light wind from the east. Got one bass 34" on a bucktail/pork, and another 26" on a rubber shad as first light was approaching.

nitestrikes
09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Had some good action on a SS beach early this morning. 1 shortie bass, and about a dozen blues on a diamond jig with red tail. Action petered out as the sun came up.

williehookem
09-06-2009, 12:40 PM
The strangest thing happened this morning. I was fishing a beach in the Jones area and I got like 9 sea robins!:don't know why: I was casting a schoolbus bomber before dawn and got 3. Then as the sun came up, I switched to metal and a teaser to try for bass and I got 6 more, one was a double of sea robins. ***? I did get a shortie bass around 23", quick release. But does anyone know why the sea robins would be so aggressive, it was crazy?

BassBuddah
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I tried to fish a ss inlet, frontside. The hard east gave me some hope, but there was nothing for me except chocolate milk. No bait around either.:skunk: Willie, the sea robins go crazy every year around Sept, and also May. I believe they are spawning, like there's not enough of them already.

nitestrikes
09-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Fished the dawn patrol at Montauk this morning. The wind was way strong and didn't want to let up. I threw avas, t-hex's and long needlefish to punch out into the surf. One cocktail blue for the effort. Still, it was nice to get ready for the fall. You can feel it in the air.

williehookem
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Super secret NS location, 5-6am. Threw everything in the bag could not get a hookup. I saw tons of bait around, but no fish on them. I'm thinking if these noreast winds cool down the water just a bit, it will be game on.

jimbob
09-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi, it's me I'm back. I had a very busy summer and only got out once since June. That is the last time I get involved in too many things. I went to the south shore this afternoon. It was very windy out of the northeast, and very choppy. Outgoing tide, water temp 70 degrees. I caught one Striped bass, 31" but only 8 lbs. 6 oz. It looked healthy and it's stomach was empty.

DarkSkies
09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Good to see ya back, Jimbob. :HappyWave: I do some of that too, get involved in too many projects for other people, and then fishin time suffers. Ya didn't miss much from the surf this summer except for some sharks and rays. Here's to a good fall run up your way. :thumbsup:

Frankiesurf
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Just got back in from the North Fork. Didn't feel like going all the way to M.

Picked up two bass. Both keepers around 30 inches. Both released. Nothing happened until false dawn which coincided with just past the top of the outgoing. Two other guys there both caught one bass each around the same time I did.

If the old timer that gave me the eels is on here, thanks. I didn't get a chance to use them though. I shoved them behind my tire and made a few more casts before I called it a day. The next time I turn around the seagulls are having a field day. They did leave one halfway alive so he got a free pass.

I also took out two bags of garbage in which another angler thanked me for. It consisted of mostly beer bottles and cans ,water bottles and a few plastic bottles of rice wine. Looked like some cheap stuff too. It wasn't as bad as it normally is at this spot. Someone else must be helping out too:thumbsup:.

I need a nap before the JETS game starts.

Till next time...

DarkSkies
09-13-2009, 04:22 PM
WTG on the bass Frank. First light to 6am seems to be a prime for these fall bass. That current up there is killer. :thumbsup:

Late report. Fished a place on the SS Thur night after the Huntington show with some of the Stripercoast finatics - Gunny aka Stripercoast1, Frankiesurf, and Khary. We were looking forward to fishin at the beginning of the Noreaster. First of all, the rain wasn' nearly as bad as the forecast (at first) ;). We started in a cove type area where we thought fish might be stacked up. The wind was blowing in our faces, and we were hopeful. Unfortunately, there wasn't much bait.

We made some moves, and found some sandeels, and some needlefish up to 9" which were feeding on the sandeels. Fishing was slow, not much action, so we kept moving. An entertaining part of the night was watching Gunny catch the needlefish with his bare hands. He's quick! The mofo has hands like senseii from the old 70's Kung Fu show. :wow:

I tried to mimic the action, but it ain't easy. The sandeels are drawn to the light, but the needlefish start moving away as soon as they see you. They quickly moved into deeper water as we came upon them, usually 2 or 3 at a time. Gunny was persistent, and he snatched those suckers up.

We eventually made our way to some rocks, which I felt would be perfect for the ebb tide. The wind had begun to build up, and made it hard to present how we wanted to.

We decided we were gonna drive to another area where we would have a lee from the wind. By that time it was 4am and the rain was getting stonger, so we called it a night. I still had a good time anyway. You know you're fishin with good people when even in the middle of a northeaster, no one wants to make the suggestion to call it quits first. :kooky:

Hardcore. :thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
09-14-2009, 05:17 PM
We fished the Rockaways last night, peanut bunker and clams. Lots of small bluefish. We had to downsize the hooks to get them. 2 short bass on the clams, beginning of the incoming. Grats on the bass frankiesurf, what were you using to get them?

Frankiesurf
09-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I had my 10 tube bag with me packed to the gills and all I used was a single 1.25 oz white and pink homemade Smilin' Bill Bucktail with a custom sliced red and white pork rind.

jimbob
09-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I fished a south shore inlet area this afternoon, I caught 5 Bass right around sunset until it got dark. one was a keeper all released with tags. Big ups to Frankiesurf for picking up garbage. It looks like people are helping me keep my beach clean also, it's very refreshing to see.

DarkSkies
09-15-2009, 07:34 AM
I fished a south shore inlet area this afternoon, I caught 5 Bass right around sunset until it got dark. one was a keeper all released with tags. Big ups to Frankiesurf for picking up garbage. It looks like people are helping me keep my beach clean also, it's very refreshing to see.

WTG on the trash pickup, Frankie. If more people brought just a few extra items of trash home with them there would be less fishermen surf access issues. :clapping:

Jimbob, beautiful pics, as usual. Sunrises and sunrise pics are what I look forward to get me motivated in the morning, especially as the days are getting shorter and the cold winter is only a few short months away. :thumbsup:

nitestrikes
09-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Managed one short bass this morning on a chartreuse tsunami shad. SS, to the west. jimbob where are you getting your tags from and how difficult is it to tag the fish? Great pics btw.

Monty
09-15-2009, 09:26 PM
As always Jimbob your pics are great and Frankie great catching the bass and nice job with the trash.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jimbob
09-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I went to a south shore beach this evening at sunset. I hooked a large bluefish on my first cast with a Creek Chub Popper, it did all kind of acrabatics but I lost it in the wash. I had two other hits after dark on a Yozuri Crystal Minnow. I fished until 8:45.
I get my tags from The American Littoral Society. It is easy to tag fish, the hard part is actually getting started. I wanted to do it for years before I got around to doing it. It is cool once you start getting returns on your tags and can see where they were recaptured and how big they got.

stripercrazy
09-16-2009, 08:11 PM
I fished the same ss area twice today. Before sunrise, it was good, bait was around. I managed 3 small bass to 23" on small bomber and a mambo. After work I tried from 5-7pm. There was more wind so I threw a heavy tsunami white shad. One shad got the tail bit off by a bluefish, no other hits. There was also no bait at this place like there was in the morning.

7deadlyplugs
09-18-2009, 03:32 PM
I fished SS last night from 7-9. I came up with one blue and I lost one.

williehookem
09-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Great pics Jimbob, are you fishing with someone else or do you have really long rubber band arms that you are able to focus the camera on you like that?:laugh: :thumbsup: I fished a ss beach near an inlet before sunrise, there was bait everywhere. I got one bass 27" and one 29" with a 1 oz bucktail and porkrind combo, both still swimming. Beautiful sunrise on the walk back.

jimbob
09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I fished a south shore inlet this morning. It was slow. I saw some small bait and not much else. Just before sunrise, I caught 2 Bass one 33" and one 25". I kept the big one for the smokehouse. I had 2 more hits or really swirls behind my plugs they never touched the plug. After sunrise I never got a hit.
My camera has a self portrait mode on it that is what I use. 99% of my fishing is done alone. As we get older my fishing buddies have a hard time getting out of bed.

Frankiesurf
09-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Hit the North Shore last night. Wind blowing pretty good out of the NNW. Had some serious gusts too. Lots of white water around all the rocks and structure but no bait and no fish. Gave it my best shot though, stayed probably longer than I should have but did a bit of walking to try and find them.

Oh,well. I will try and find them tonight.

BassBuddah
09-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I wanted to try my luck at Montauk today. I fished from 4:45 to 6:45am, bucktail and pork. There were a lot of people fishing the tournament. I hate crowds like that, but what can you do? I had one fish on and dropped it.:skunk: Out of about 30 guys where I was, I saw one bass caught probably between 10-15#. Next time.

jimbob
09-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I fished a Moriches back bay area this morning. I had one hit just after sunrise. Plenty of bait, water temp 62 degrees.

rockhopper
09-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I was looking forward to a successful night of fishing. I could feel the success in my bones. I guess my bones were wrong. I fished NS. Had one bump but nothing else.

Frankiesurf
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Threw a few eels at a SS inlet last night. All were bitten in half. Switched to plugs and got nothing. Ugh. Two :skunk: in a row.

It was a beautiful night out there though.

jimbob
09-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I hit a North fork spot this evening for sunset. I saw no bait and it was very quiet. at about 7:50 I caught a 24" Striper. That was the only hit I had.

nitestrikes
09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I fished a SS spot tonight, some rocks, to the west. First 2 jetties nothing, then a 25" bass throwing a white shad. Lost one after that, small bait was around the rocks.

jimbob
09-21-2009, 11:42 PM
I went to Montauk after work today I saw very little bait and never raised a fish. I fished from 4:45 to 9:00. Everyone I talked with said the have been having a bad week.

williehookem
09-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice pictures jimbob. I fished near an inlet this morning, S shore. There was a lot of small bait moving right after sunrise. I threw a ss needle with a small white teaser. One bass 23" on the teaser.

BassBuddah
09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Took the afternoon off to fish a NS favorite spot of mine. It's usually productive this time of year. Today the only thing that was raised were my eyebrows when I saw a couple trying to get busy after a romantic lunch near the water.They were on a blanket, and I was thinking about all the rocks and bumps, what was this guy thinking?:huh:
Maybe I should have been paying more attention to fishing, but it was not happening for me today. Poppers and small swimmers couldn't even call a bluefish my way. Oh well at least I had some entertainment.:naughty:

blitzhunter
09-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Spent some time at LB last night. I got one short on a bomber.

williehookem
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Fished a SS spot early today, outgoing. It was weedy, so I tried a slim profile bucktail.:skunk:

strikezone31
09-23-2009, 07:14 PM
did a quick run and gun on a s shore beach after work. My friend told me of birds working all day, so I went to check it out. I saw bait about 200' out and started casting. Using a bottle popper and some smack it poppers, I got 2 big fat bluefish around 12lbs, both released because I didn't want the hassle of dragging them back. Nice fat blues, you could tell they were feeding heavily.

pescador29
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
fished SI in the dark 4 to 6 in the morning. we got 4 bluefish with bunker. one was very fat

stripercrazy
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Jones area this morning with bucktail and pork, one rat bass.

BassBuddah
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
I fished some swimmers for the incoming tonight at a ss place near an inlet. Got some small bluefish, and a stargazer.

plugginpete
09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
We fished out of JI this morning, about 1/2 mile off the beach. All the blues you could want, on bunker. Most were 5-6lbs, but a few were around 10. Lots of fun.:fishing:

Frankiesurf
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Hit the north fork last night. Outgoing tide at an hour or so before sunset. Heavy NE wind. Peanut Bunker taking cover behind the rocks.

No fish during the daylight. After darkness fell I tried out a couple of eels. No luck on the first eel, he stuck himself in a rockpile. The second one was bitten in half.

Throwing a bottle plug with a Fishtail tail hook I got from Anthony at Hair-n-hooks.com . I got two blues, one 6 pound and a 10 pounder. A little bit after that I landed a schoolie bass. That was it on the fish for the night. I think once the wind switched to an ESE I made my way home.

stripercrazy
09-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I figured today would be perfect to run to Montauk. Hit some rocks on the north side using 2 oz bucktail and red worm, fishing was tough. The water was amazing, but :skunk: followed me home. I did hear of some nice fish caught earlier in the week.

7deadlyplugs
09-27-2009, 12:39 PM
West of Jones area from 5-7 this morning, one shortie on a tsunami chartreuse swim shad. Surf was pretty churned up.

rockhopper
09-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Nice catches, guys. I was out this morning, east of Moses. Lots of white water, I threw bucktails. Nada, but I can feel it that it will turn on in the ocean soon, maybe after the rain.

lostatsea
09-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I figured today would be perfect to run to Montauk. Hit some rocks on the north side using 2 oz bucktail and red worm, fishing was tough. The water was amazing, but :skunk: followed me home. I did hear of some nice fish caught earlier in the week.

I don't think the bite has been that great this week. They're not setting the world on fire up there, it's been a slow pick. I fished the AM at a NS area near a harbor, just playing around with some small castmasters. I caught some small snappers, saw some bait, but it didn't seem like we have any big blues in this spot yet. Still waiting for the great NS action we had last year.

7deadlyplugs
09-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Tsunami chartreuse swim shads are killer! 3 bass this morning out front, pockets of some jetties. I had to work quite a few, and managed 3 bass to 27". Some weeds, but there were areas that weren't that bad. Ocean was still a little churned up.

williehookem
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Hit an old favorite spot on the NS last night, outgoing water coming out of a harbor. The wind made a little difficult, so I bucktailed it. I gave it my best shot and moved a few times, only one bluefish wanted dinner.

nitestrikes
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
5-7am this morning, Jones area. Big surf and lots of jelly fish in the weeds. Tried bucktail and fin-s. Water looked fishy, maybe tomorrow:skunk:

williehookem
09-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Fished out front today, 2:30-4:30. Wind from the west, fishing is the best. Tried shads and bucktail, zippo.

rockhopper
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Out again :skunk:again!