PDA

View Full Version : Attributing your skills

stripermania
09-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I credit some of my fishing abilities to reading lots of magazines, books and keeping logs. I always pay attention to what the other guy is doing. Throughout the years this has made me a more skilled angler. What would you attribute your higher level skills to?

Monty
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
My father got me into fishing early. So I had a good base of knowledge. I was into fly fishing and read a ton about it. I think surf/bay fishing with plugs, rubber, metal and teasers (from the beach) is a lot like fly fishing streams (I don't use bait). The thought process (locating structure, current, what the stripers or blues are feeding on) is very similar. I still read a lot, but experience in the surf is very important. I have also received some real good pointers from Rip-Plugger the past year that has helped me increase the confidence I have when I hit the suds and that in turn has enabled me to catch fish much more often than not. Its a constant learning process, which to me makes it incredibly fun.

surfstix1963
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
You never stop learning in the surf game whats there today may be gone the next.