PDA

View Full Version : Fish Carcasses

strikezone31
09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
How do you dispose of your fish carcasses?

Frankiesurf
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
When I rarely take a fish, I usually dispose of the carcasses in the woods somewhere. I hate tossing them back in the water because I hate seeing them there when I fish. If you toss it in the woods that thing will be gone in an hour, usually less. Plus you will make a coon and his family very happy for the night

clamchucker
09-05-2009, 10:06 AM
They also make great bait for crab or killie traps. Put broken up pieces in your killie traps and you will catch a few eels as well.

7deadlyplugs
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I read this about fish carcasses, I never knew that they could actually kill the birds. Is this true?

Most people think that feeding seagulls and pelicans fish carcasses is a good way to dispose of them. However, birds should never be fed fish carcasses. It oftentimes leads to a slow, painful death due to bones getting lodged in their throats.

Puncturing the eyes of the fish and filling the head with water then releasing the carcass into the water will help eliminate the problem. It will allow the fish to sink before the birds can grab them. (Eyes of rotting fish fill with gas and work like a
balloon to keep the fish floating.

nitestrikes
09-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I hate tossing them back in the water because I hate seeing them there when I fish.

Yeah, but not too many guys feel the same way judging by all the racks on the bottom of some of the launches.

Frankiesurf
09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
That is exactly why I don't do that.

If I have a blue that is destined for BBQ then maybe I will dehead it and toss it in the water. If it is a whole carcass then it goes in the woods.

hookedonbass
11-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I never fillet at the beach. I bring it home and do the dirty work there. In the trash they go.

vpass
11-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I clean my fish at home and toss the carcass in the trash.

finchaser
11-09-2009, 08:22 AM
It's illegal to fillet or cut up any fish with a limit on a beach or boat.

jonthepain
11-10-2009, 06:52 PM
They go underneath the tomato plants.

Don't tell anybody. My friends have been trying to find out why I've got the sweetest tomatoes in town for years. ;)