PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for the jerk!

basshunter
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Went out for a couple hours yesterday at SH and came across this lowlife who decided that it is his sole right to fish exactly were I was set up. He kept screaming at me telling me I had to move that he always fished "this spot". He acted liked an *******. I kept minding my own business. The jerk ended up standing right next to me and casting directly over my line so we would get caught up. I eventually moved down the shore. How would you handled this?

Monty
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I think I would have walked away. But if for some reason I was in a bad mood (almost never while fishing) I may have gone medieval on his ***.
Gotta wonder how they let some of these prople out:don't know why:.

Stripercoast1
09-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Your there first, he says its his spot?
He intimidates you to leave?
I would love to be in "his" spot before he got there.
It would be the last time he tried to claim that piece of beach, especially with the crossing the lines Bullshat.

vpass
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
This is a hard one. I would most like tell him off :2flip:, then walk away. there many spot to fish. and wouldn't want to ruin the day. Someone else will take him out one day.:beatin:

surfwalker
09-04-2009, 07:38 PM
basshunter, without naming a specific beach, was this an older fella, arms swinging, fluking or popping and had a cart? If it was, nothing aggrevates him more than you casting in front of him and pulling in fish after he just got done telling you that he hasn't gotten anything all morning. I always plug HIS area harder when he is there.

Frankiesurf
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I would wait until he cast then cast over HIS line. Do that a few times then go.

I would like to hear what DS has to say about this.

DarkSkies
09-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I think I ran into that same guy a few weeks ago. He said some of the same things to me, basshunter. He set up about 25' to the left of me, and there was no one fishing 1/2 a mile north or south of us.

I'm pretty good at saying the right things, getting people to realize maybe they are a little effed up. And then they usually modify their behavior, usually. ;)

Only this time he was with his family. I thought about getting in an argument with Grandpa George the Mugger, thought about the kids that were there with him, and uncharacteristically for me, I backed down. :embarassed:

I decided to do an end run and appeal to a more reasonable faction, the women who were with him. While he was off in the distance seining bait, I explained to his daughter (who was there with her kids) that although the area we were fishing was a good one, it wasn't the only "spot" that was magic.

I pointed out the rip currents to her, and diplomatically tried to let her know that because of the left to right sweep, we would inevitably be getting tangled up.

I don't know if my words were effective, but shortly thereafter they had a quiet conversation, and they did move a little further away.

I was getting ready to leave anyway, so I made the move and left. Made me realize why I don't fish in the daytime much, except to take kids fishin.

Moral of the story:
Sometimes people are idiots, and the only way around that is to ignore them, leave, or argue and throw them in the water. :argue: As the old Indians used to say, there are many paths you can take to a destination. I just choose a different one that day, and luckily it worked.

I can't change the fact the guy is old and cantankerous, nothing I said would register in his brain. Appealing to his family did work this time.

I have been in many situations where even that wouldn't work, and ended up tumbling around on the sand and water with an idiot who decided violence was a good option, but underestimated his opponent. ;)

For me, it's usually better to choose the option which doesn't involve getting locked up, otherwise you both lose. And I don't want to lose out on fishin time, that's more precious than gold to me. :thumbsup:

surferman
06-20-2016, 08:22 PM
basshunter, without naming a specific beach, was this an older fella, arms swinging, fluking or popping and had a cart? If it was, nothing aggrevates him more than you casting in front of him and pulling in fish after he just got done telling you that he hasn't gotten anything all morning. I always plug HIS area harder when he is there.

haha, there's always one on every beach.