PDA

View Full Version : Big Bird the mascot of Point Pleasant

DarkSkies
09-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Pebbles and I are walking down the beach when we see this huge brown/white seagull. He's not just a regular seagull, mind you. He's the granddaddy of all seagulls, the equivalent of a 50lb cow bass. :laugh:

His body was so large if he was a little more brown you could almost mistake him for a well-fed Canada goose!

Think of an overstuffed deluxe grande chicken ready to be shipped to market, and you have an idea of the size of this seagull.

DarkSkies
09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
One of the most interesting things is he had a group of friends there who had trained him to do tricks. They say familar animals have no fear of humans when they're feeding them.

However, this training was so good they could take this seagull on the road! With a little coaxing, he could be one of the attractions at the next county fair.

In the meantime, he's known as Big Bird, and has taken a liking to his most recent adopted family - Ann, Diana, Eddie, and Ed. They have him trained to eat out of their hands, and out of a water dish as well. (They told me that after training all their children, a lone seagull was a cakewalk. :D) Big Bird was apparently injured somewhere in his life, as he has a lame wing and can't fly. So in this case he really does benefit from people feeding him. And judging by his size, it doesn't look like he goes hungry too much!

Nice meeting you people. :HappyWave: Ann, I hope your wrist feels better.

I also learned from Eddie and Ed that they have been catching bluefish, albies, spanish mackerel, and weakfish up to 24" in the daytime from the surf, in the last 2 weeks in Ocean County, on metal. WTG, guys. :thumbsup: Sometimes the people you see sitting and relaxing on chairs at the beach might be the sharpies who are nailing fish where and when you least expect it. :learn:

hookset
09-09-2009, 10:28 AM
That's some "Big Bird". Must have been great gettng to know those people and watching the tricks. I heard in the video that it follows the guys when they go fishing. Is this their pet that they bring with them to the shore?

DarkSkies
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Hookset, I think Big Bird is a community pet, he is loyal to whomever is feeding him at the moment. ;)

gjb1969
09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
hey dark the old bird has bin around a long time he come to the rocks all the timei have fed him before atleast he will wait to be fed but he will take your bait if u dont give it to him hes cool:)