PDA

View Full Version : how many police needed for a high profile traffic stop?

storminsteve
09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I was driving through Berkeley Heights today and saw 10 police cars lined up on the side of the road. 8 were from Berkeley Heights, marked units, and then one unmarked and marked unit from Springfield. Springfield is 3 towns away from Berkeley Heights. It looked like one of those high profile traffic stops to me.
There was a short, skinny Hispanic male in handcuffs, maybe 150lbs. There was also an older Hispanic woman sitting on the sidewalk in a wheelchair.
This disturbed me a little. It looked like the guy did something, otherwise he wouldn't be in handcuffs, right? So maybe there was a bench warrant for him for some offense, or maybe they found something in the car when they stopped him. I felt very bad for the woman in the wheelchair who seemed forced to stay on the sidewalk, and am assuming he was with her.
There was so much police manpower there I thought they had captured Joanne Chesimard.:kooky:
Is there anyone here with police experience who would know why this went down the way it did? I didn't see any brutality or anything like that. I know they were only doing their job. but why 10 police cars for a small skinny Hispanic guy that was driving his woman companion around in a silver minivan?:huh:

DarkSkies
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Storminsteve, sometimes it does make you wonder, but it's hard to make an assessment because we don't have all the info.

A few weeks ago I had to pick up some paperwork from a guy in Rutherford. There was a commotion outside. We saw that a Rutherford police car stopped a young kid and his girlfriend in a new pickup truck. The truck was so new the sticker was still on it with the temporary registration.

Within 5 minutes, there were 6 more police cars blocking that truck in, even though the kid and his girlfriend were outside the truck and sitting on the curb at that point. They went and searched the truck and checked his paperwork 3 times. :don't know why:

To me it seemed like a case of mistaken identity. They let him go after about 15 minutes with no tickets. He and his girlfriend seemed well-behaved. Things could have gone bad for them if they weren't. It's never a smart move to disrespect an officer during a trafffic stop. In any event, here's a heads up to be careful in Rutherford.

Frankiesurf
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I think that sometimes they have nothing better to do. I am not being facetious but just stating what seems obvious. I have seen traffic stops on the LIE that garnered 3 or 4 cop cars. One officer speaking to someone in the offending vehicle and the others just standing around on the side of the road.

bababooey
09-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I think that sometimes they have nothing better to do. I am not being facetious but just stating what seems obvious.

Yup. and we are paying for all that wasted manpower.:kooky:

gjb1969
09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
in that town if u look wrong u will be stoped with my ex boss we got stoped 3 times each time ther were 3 cars the last time we were on a deadend street and we were blocked in that was the last time i did calls in that town not cool