PDA

View Full Version : Anglers personalities

rockhopper
09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Would you consider yourself a loner, helpful to other anglers or an angry dude who says ":2flip: anyone who comes in way of getting fish."?

SharkHart
09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I gave a guy my rod to use in a major blitz of 20-25lbers because he was there with a friend and only with a gaff and helping others who had no pre plans for landing their fish. About the 3 rd cast he got blasted and the bass straighted the snap and took my $20 pencil, later i kept thinking what did i give him my rod for :) id do it again but i generally dont like too many people in a tight area.

I have also found that if you help or take a novice with a proven spot they will come back the next day without you, so sometimes id love to help more people but just cant. How and When ok where is tougher

Monty
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I love to be out there alone, doing what I want to do, my pace.
But really enjoy meeting others out there. I always fish in areas/times where there is nobody or almost no one, and the others I meet out there seem to be real good people. Its amazing how friendly some of the people you meet out there are. Short, nice talks, serious about fishing, but just good people (walk away with a smile).
That said, I also enjoy a few trips each year when I get to go out there with my brother in-law or a select few friends.
9 out of 10 trips I make are alone.

gjb1969
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
sometimes i like to fish alone but i am the kind of person that will help people if they want help :HappyWave:

finchaser
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Not really a loner if I don't have to be, helpful to other anglers and can be:2flip: if need be

Frankiesurf
09-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I like fishing alone if I want to stick with a plan. Occasionally when I fish with someone, their plan B may be different than mine so it makes it more difficult.
I do not have a problem helping others out though.

I have given kids my rod for a good shot at fish. One time these two kids were on the beach without a clue. They started asking me questions and saw me pull in two fish as we were standing there. They had too small tackle and some really cheap lures that I wouldn't trust. I gave the first kid my rod, showed him how to cast and how to retrieve a pencil. His second cast was his first bass and just over keeper size. I gave the other kid the rod and he wasn't catching and getting discouraged. I took the rod from him and made a good cast, getting to where there was a small dropoff that he wasn't reaching. I gave it back to him and BAM fish on. It was a 3 pound blue but he was thrilled. Both these guys went home with a fish and also a popper I saw floating and was able to cast to and snag.

I have no problem helping anyone out as long as they are friendly. If I get an attitude then screw em.

I did help out a 19 yo kid who used to live around the corner from me. He was always fishing bait and not doing great. He wanted to try plugging. I had a rod I didn't use so I lent it to him with the express intent on getting it back in a few weeks when he said he would have money for his own.. He had my number and called once for some info. After that I didn't see him anymore. He was on the beach everyday until he had my rod. He never returned my calls, never came by. I went to his house one day to get my rod back. He wasn't home but his mom was. I told her I was taking it back. she called him and he tried to protest to her but I explained what he was doing. The rod had a new reel on it with new line and some new plugs. She said he was going fishing everyday but just not where we lived. She was very understanding that I felt bad but was kind of taken advantage of. I took it back and never spoke to him again even after calling to explain why I took it back.

surfwalker
09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I guess I’m a loner type. I don’t wait for people to go fishing nor really need them, although some of those dreary dark nights ( when your head is playing with you and the hair in the back of your neck is standing out ), I guess it would be nice to have someone around. Don't talk much on the start of the walk but I will BS on the walk back, while casting. I try to keep my distance.
Helpful, I dunno. If I’m catching with a certain plug/metal or teaser and you’re not, I’ll give you one outta the bag, don’t know if that’s helpful, but I do enjoy seeing people smile when they catch. Maybe more selfish than helpful on my part. If someone is having trouble of some sort I’ll ask if they need a hand. If they ask a question I’ll answer it, but will never say they are doing something the wrong way, some things are better to learn on your own, by observing.

buckethead
09-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I gave a guy my rod to use in a major blitz of 20-25lbers because he was there with a friend and only with a gaff and helping others who had no pre plans for landing their fish. About the 3 rd cast he got blasted and the bass straighted the snap and took my $20 pencil, later i kept thinking what did i give him my rod for :) id do it again but i generally dont like too many people in a tight area.

Wow that's either pretty generous, or naively trusting in someone, either way you look at it it seems you were the nice guy who finished last that time. Did he at least offer to pay for the pencil he lost? I know I would.

SharkHart
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
he felt pretty bad so i immediatly left he off the hook said dont worry about it. I made a bad selection of a brand snap that was very thin but allegedly #75

surfstix1963
09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I fish alone most of the time,I don't mind fishing with other people as long as they don't get on my nerves(their are just some people if you know what I mean)I like to help some of the younger guys out when I can if they listen.

williehookem
09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Wow that's either pretty generous, or naively trusting in someone, either way you look at it it seems you were the nice guy who finished last that time. Did he at least offer to pay for the pencil he lost? I know I would.

he felt pretty bad so i immediatly left he off the hook said dont worry about it. I made a bad selection of a brand snap that was very thin but allegedly #75

IMO you were too nice and blaming the gear failure on yourself is a nice gesture but won't help you the next time some idiot decides to abuse your equipment. Don't take my comments personally, I say them because I have been there myself.
We were fishing a nice batch of fish a few years ago in a jetty pocket. 5 of us fit comfortably in the pocket, there wasn't any room even for one more, and one loud mouth idiot comes along and starts giving us all advice as he mugs us. To top it off, rubber shads were the ticket, and he didn't have any. So he "borrows" one from me. Sure I could have said no, but like you I felt bad for this guy. Maybe because he was with a friend who was older and looked kind of handicapped, so I gave in.
5 minutes later I was ready to push this guy in the water. He was such a loud mouth and had unprecedented levels of googan skills.
Looking back, I should have lied to him and had him fend for himself. I learned it's ok to be nice to people on occasion, but if it's during a hot bite, let that person talk a few sentences until you decide if he's an idiot or not before you help him.
Otherwise, you will suffer.:learn:

nitestrikes
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM
it's ok to be nice to people on occasion, but if it's during a hot bite, let that person talk a few sentences until you decide if he's an idiot or not before you help him.
Otherwise, you will suffer.:learn:

Yeah, why suffer because someone else is inconsiderate? I don't get a lot of time to fish, so it counts for me. Can't clutter it up with loud mouths.

jonthepain
09-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Would you consider yourself a loner, helpful to other anglers or an angry dude

loner. only 2 or 3 people i would ever fish with on any regular basis and one of them is dead.

DarkSkies
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
loner. only 2 or 3 people i would ever fish with on any regular basis and one of them is dead.

Same for me, Jon...and I know one of these days you and I will get a chance to fish a tide.....I already prayed to the Big Guy in the Sky about it.....:HappyWave:

jonthepain
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
... and the other is dieing, waiting for an organ to become available

yeah dark i'm looking forward to it. but it sucks being poor.

DarkSkies
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
^ Sorry to hear that, Jon....I'll say some prayers and hope he is able to be helped.

buckethead
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Would you consider yourself a loner, helpful to other anglers or an angry dude who says ":2flip: anyone who comes in way of getting fish."?

I am helpful and try to be nice. The problem with that is there are too many who are selfish and inconsiderate. For example last night I fished nomoco. There were quite a few out there. We all got bass because we cooperated. There was a strong sweep and you had to cast to your left, meaning the next guy had to cast to his left and so on. Quite often in the daytime I do not see that happening and see a lot of tangles and crossed lines. Being nice for me is being nice to a point. jonthepain thoughts and prayers for your friend and good luck on him finding a donor.

surfstix1963
10-20-2012, 06:59 PM
No crowds for me I wait till they all follow the school then I'll fish for the real fish when all the newbies chase after the rest.That leaves the people who know how to fish together fish.