PDA

View Full Version : At what point did you catch him?

basshunter
09-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Big bro was pulling in a 30 lb striper just as it got to the shore the line snapped and the cow got away. Would you consider this a catch in the log book?

DarkSkies
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Lots of different opinions on this. I release most of my fish anyway. Obviously, if for a tournament ya gotta at least tape it before the release. The way I look at it, if you got the fish to the wash at your feet, or boatside if in a boat, it counts, especially if you are fishin with kids. Anything further than that, "fish came unbuttoned" "it was a nice run", or a LDR, long-distance release. ;)

katiefishes
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I never consider it a catch until it is in my hands.

jonthepain
09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
gotta touch it, at least

surfwalker
09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
For me if I don't beach a Bass I don't count it as a catch, that's just me.

Monty
09-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I agree, how about if it is on the beach, hook comes out and it wiggles into the ocean and swims away.
I say its a catch. If I had to have it, I could have dived on top of it. But for the good of the fish and me, no dive :thumbsup: .

For me if I don't beach a Bass I don't count it as a catch, that's just me.

surfwalker
09-15-2009, 06:42 AM
I"m with you on that one, Monty. As long as I can see the full stripes out of the water, on the beach, I'll count it. No dive for me either.

JakeF
09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
For Log Book purposes, which I believe was the question, it's a catch if I bring it close enough to see it clearly and estimate it's size. When it comes to my personal log book, it's enough for me to know the when, where, how, and size of the hook-up for future reference. For all other purposes, I do not call it a catch unless I can bring it to hand.

Jackbass
09-15-2009, 11:37 AM
I consider it a catch if I can touch the leader with the fish on the line. Often in the fall, particularly when the blues are around, when fishing will allow a fish to shake off in the suds.