PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for September 16-30, 2009

DarkSkies
09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

DarkSkies
09-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Latest forecasts for today and tomorrow:

Tonight: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 58. East wind between 14 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. East wind between 11 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. East wind between 7 and 10 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

What the surf looks like right now:

I'm not tellin you guys and gals to go out there and fish, that would be irresponsible of me. There's inherent danger in fishing in front of a storm. I wouldn't want to see anyone get into trouble or a difficult situation. :kooky:

That being said, fish will be chewing somewhere tonight, and I'll be out there. Tonight is a time when you need to have alternate plans and choices. One area may be unfishable, but an area near or behind it may be just fine. We won't get many chances like tonight with all the quantities of bait stacked up in the back bays, creeks, rivers, and marshes.

So grab that TV remote and settle in for a nice cozy evening of watchin TV..... ;) :HappyWave:

clamchucker
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Good morning at Island beach. Mullet are on the move, and I netted a few dozen. That brought about 20 bluefish to 3lbs, and one short bass. I kept about 10 bluefish. The overcast sky kept a lot of people away, and it was a truly enjoyable day of fishing.

DarkSkies
09-17-2009, 06:56 AM
WTG, Clamchucker. I have seen more mullet in the back than in the front for the NNJ beaches. I hit a favorite spot in the front last night, but it just wasn't happening, one tap on the bucktail and that was it. I was hoping for something of size, but that's fishin. :don't know why:

So I went into a back bay area where bait was gathered up, got 5 small bass on a silver and blue small rattletrap on the flood tide. These bass were skinny, and looked like they came from the same mold, so I could assume that they recently moved in to feed on the bait.

c4charlie
09-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Fished last night/this morning from 1:30am-6:00am with one goal. To get a fish on the fly.

As you know, I did not have a stripping basket so at 10:30 last night, I went to Walmart, picked up some supplies and decided to put it together. I got to get a pic, I think it came out well. So at midnight, I am looking at the stripping basket, and knowing that there is no wind, tides are good, I know where the stripers are, I had to go. Left home at 12:30. :HappyWave:

Decided to make a stop in the back which produced nothing and I didn't even see any bait. Moved along to "the spot". Stripers are once again there eating bait, no wind, perfect conditions. Started fly casting. Stripers did not want any of the flies I casted out. Stripping basket working awesome. Second ever fly rodding saltwater experience and I am determined. Spent at least a couple hours or more and after tons of casts, nothing. They just want the live bait. :huh:

I decided to take a break and get my plugs, couldn't get them to bite either. Then at 4am, I switched back to the fly rod and finally at 5am, FISH on the fly, nice one too. I hooked it nicely, then I was able to get the fish on the reel and the reel was screaming with two long runs. Now is my chance to get back some line... AND :o :embarassed:The fish is gone and not because he got off the hook, because in my haste changing flies, I tied a bad knot. Dumbest thing I have done surf fishing. Stay out all night with no sleep to get a fish on the fly, when I got it, I lose it to a knot. Never lost a fish to a knot.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/don%27t%20know%20why.gif:o Fish is ok I'm sure because the barb was crushed. It was definitely a thrill and a learning experience but what a mistake.

finchaser
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
3 bass and 4 blue fish this AM on lead head and DOA jerkbait green back, fish were on sand eels wouldn't touch metal

vpass
09-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Fished last night/this morning from 1:30am-6:00am with one goal. To get a fish on the fly.

As you know, I did not have a stripping basket so at 10:30 last night, I went to Walmart, picked up some supplies and decided to put it together. I got to get a pic, I think it came out well. So at midnight, I am looking at the stripping basket, and knowing that there is no wind, tides are good, I know where the stripers are, I had to go. Left home at 12:30. :HappyWave:

Decided to make a stop in the back which produced nothing and I didn't even see any bait. Moved along to "the spot". Stripers are once again there eating bait, no wind, perfect conditions. Started fly casting. Stripers did not want any of the flies I casted out. Stripping basket working awesome. Second ever fly rodding saltwater experience and I am determined. Spent at least a couple hours or more and after tons of casts, nothing. They just want the live bait. :huh:

I decided to take a break and get my plugs, couldn't get them to bite either. Then at 4am, I switched back to the fly rod and finally at 5am, FISH on the fly, nice one too. I hooked it nicely, then I was able to get the fish on the reel and the reel was screaming with two long runs. Now is my chance to get back some line... AND :o :embarassed:The fish is gone and not because he got off the hook, because in my haste changing flies, I tied a bad knot. Dumbest thing I have done surf fishing. Stay out all night with no sleep to get a fish on the fly, when I got it, I lose it to a knot. Never lost a fish to a knot.http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/smilies/don%27t%20know%20why.gif:o Fish is ok I'm sure because the barb was crushed. It was definitely a thrill and a learning experience but what a mistake.

I had the same thing happen to me about 11 years ago on my very first striper I hooked with a fly rod. It was at Fort Tilden right next to a jetty during the day in early Oct. As usual after a few cast I drift the fly in front of me to check if it got fouled. Then a striper shot out from the side of me, about 36 inches and inhaled the fly. I did a roll cast to set the hook, which it did. What a run it made. I applied to much pressure and the knot slipped. I still haven’t caught a stripper bigger then 30 inch on the fly. I still till this day think of that fish inhaling the fly. It was all in slow motion when it happened. Keep at it C4, there will be lots of stories.

storminsteve
09-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Nice catch finchaser and (almost) catch for c4.:) I have been the bluefish king lately, I wish there were a contest for catching bluefish and scaring the bass away, I would win the trophy. This morning between 5-6am I got 3 taylor blues at SH on the ace super spook. Water was very clear. There was bait jumping far out, and what looked like bluefish jumping out of the water, but I never saw bluefish jump like that. Didn't see one bass caught where I was.

DarkSkies
09-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Late report, hit some spots with G Thur night into Fri. We must have covered 100 miles in Occo and Moco between fishing and scouting.

There were some spots that were filled with bait. The bait got hammered as soon as the tide started moving. Only problem was it was too concentrated. At one spot we saw sandeels first, then, the spearing were jumping out of the water by the hundreds as the bass and small blues started slamming them.

They only seemed to want spearing. G managed a few hits with metal, I had one missed fish with a yozuri spearing profile. They weren't even interested in the small spearing profile teaser I was using,, they just wanted that spearing. Hit a few more spots where the current was stronger, but no fish in the dark.

Ended up fishin a favorite spot in the back, got hits on our first few casts, and then no hookups, bite died as the tide slowed. At slack we met a guy I've seen a few times before. We compared notes. He said artificials weren't working. He was one of the only people in that area to land a fish by snagging and floating the large peanuts that were swimming by. He nailed 5 bass, one keeper.

And Charlie, congrats on the bass on the fly. 2nd time out, so what if you didn't land it, at least ya had in on for a few secs on a night when there was only a slow pick. :thumbsup:

We fished the other side of the tide, incoming, but it wasn't the same. Left for to scout some more spots in the back.

We found a variability in bait. One area that was rock solid days before had sparse concentrations, though again, guys are picking up bass at first light on bunker. There were some boats and kayaks bunched up further out, they weren't flukin so maybe they were targeting weakies.

The water temps seemed cooler in the back of moco than they did in occo, for anyone who pays attention to that kind of thing. IMO the bait in the back is on the move, the mullet run is now in full force, and we should have some interesting times starting in the front.

It also seems the night bite is not working for everyone. It's not consistent, you have to hit a lot of different places to find some fish. However, the period of 4-6am is golden. That also seems to be holding true to some extent to places in LI and Montauk, for example. Be on the water before the sun rises and ya might just hit that hungry migratory fish. :thumbsup:

basshunter
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Bass and bluefish on mullet in the OC surf this morning, south OC, blues to 5#, one bass 29", 2 others about 25".

surfwalker
09-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Out front-two fluke at 5am- fin-s teaser-19" & 22". One Albie at 9am on Ava 17. No Stripes.

basshunter
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Nice job on the albie surfwalker. We were in south ocean county fishing the beach this morning. There was a lot of bait around, and some fish that were far out. I thought they could be albies, but not a one was caught. How big would you say yours was?

cowherder
09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Two bluefish this morning on a mini-blitz in MonCo. Lasted 5 minutes, they were tearing up the peanut bunker. I was throwing diamond jigs a017.

Monty
09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice catch with the Albie.
:HappyWave: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Out front-two fluke at 5am- fin-s teaser-19" & 22". One Albie at 9am on Ava 17. No Stripes.

skinner
09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Fished SH last night. Got one keeper on a black bomber.

paco33
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
We were out in the rb yesterday, closer to the ny side. Fishing was slow, but we did come into some schools of false albacore and small bluefish later on. 3 false albacore on diamond jigs, gosh they move quickly! About an hour later we got into small bluefish on the small bait. We threw diamond jigs and other metal. Nothing big, but it was a great way to finish up.

fishinmission78
09-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Fished Island beach from 5-9am today. Got some blues on fresh dead mullet. Also saw albies working far out, but no one got any on the stretch I was fishing. They are also geting tog on the rocks, I hope they are checking the guys to see they are only keeping their limit.

DarkSkies
09-20-2009, 04:19 PM
:clapping::clapping: on the albie, Surfwalker. I didn't get my first this year yet, maybe soon. ;) You put in a lot of time and miles on the sand, you deserved that, I'll bet it was a great fight. :wow:

Monty
09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Fished out fron from 1:00 am to around 8:00.
Picked up 2 bass around 25 inches, one on a rubber teaser, the other on a Rip-Plugger easterbus hybrid. Both after the tide turned between 4 and 5.
Sunrise saw some albies, could not hook up. Great night to be out there.
Some pics:

c4charlie
09-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Nice Monty.

I went out last night from 9-2 on a few jetties out front and then a couple back spots strictly fly fishing. Didn't get a bite. Beautiful night though. I realized that I really like fly fishing off the jetties. I practiced a hand over hand retrieve and also doing some hauling. Hope to get at least one this week.

hookset
09-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Went to IBSP last night for a few hours. Caught one short on clams.

chas527
09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
fished nomoco this morning nothing saw some bait look like peanut bunker and mullet but nothing under them.no birds working anywhere.

LennyD
09-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I know this is not a surf report but i just wanna share it with you guys.
This was sunday morning out of Monmouth beach.
There was some bluefish very close to shore and some albies not far out.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2236/smallbutfastlikearocket.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/smallbutfastlikearocket.jpg/)
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9769/gotya.jpg (http://img32.imageshack.us/i/gotya.jpg/)

DarkSkies
09-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Very nice, Lenny. :clapping: I was thinkin of ya this morning, the sea was so flat you could have called it Lake Atlantic. One of those days when a yakker could hit the Shewsbury rocks with no danger, and make it back safely. Get that one on metal?

DarkSkies
09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
After the epic day some guys had yesterday, I set out early in search of some albies from the surf. I arrived as some of the regulars were leaving, got a chance to meet some of the old-timers I've read so much about in print. :HappyWave: The time spent talking to a regular fisherman of a particular spot is invaluable. Spare the time if you can, you won't regret it.

The bite was only a slow pick today, a few were nailed by blind casting. Based on what they told me, I made a move to another location to catch some different water.

I was throwing an Ava17no tail, flouro leader. 200 casts later I was done. :skunk: Switched over to some top water, mid water, bucktails, and rubber trying to hit a stray bluefish, but I failed in that objective too.

Water was crystal clear, slight W wind in the AM, changing to variable later on. Ocean was like a lake. There were scattered pods of mullet and spearing, no big concentrations. Beautiful morning out there.

fishinmission78
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome morning at Island beach, gator blues, and more gators to 12#. Some guys were using mullet, they got a few. Around 8 they started busting bait, and we threw metal, hopkins, crocodiles, and diamond jigs. I lost 4 jigs to those toothy basturds, then had to cut out for work.

clamchucker
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Yesterday one false albacore, on a spearing teaser.
Today a small pick of blues, on small poppers and bottle plugs.

LennyD
09-22-2009, 06:09 AM
Very nice, Lenny. :clapping: I was thinkin of ya this morning, the sea was so flat you could have called it Lake Atlantic. One of those days when a yakker could hit the Shewsbury rocks with no danger, and make it back safely. Get that one on metal?
Thanx Rich!
I was trolling AVA17 with red tube.

yardvillejimmy
09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Fished IBSP yesterday afternoon. Missed the morning bluefish action. Tried plugging and batfishing. Not even a hit. :don't know why:

Met a friend there who caught two nice bluefish on poppers earlier. I seemed to have missed the action by about an hour.

cowherder
09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
:clapping:Wow sounds like some of you guys got into great action! congrats! I walked around some monmouth jetties this morning, I'm a little afraid of getting out on the rocks so I throw to the sides. I got one bass about 26" on a black and purple bomber. I didn't see any bluefish or anything busting. Maybe I have to take a trip to a more southern spot. I was happy to get that bass, though, it fought good.:lookhappy:

storminsteve
09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Fished sandy hook from 4-6pm tonight, one cocktail blue on a hopkins. I saw a few pods of bait, but no birds or fish working them.

vpass
09-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I fished the SH from 5 PM to 9:00pm. Lots of small bait. I caught only 1 Fluke about 18 inches and real fat. Few guys out and about talked to a few nothing caught.:boring:

basshunter
09-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Fished IBSP from 4 to 8. Caught a couple of blues on mullet, no bass.

DarkSkies
09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Yup they are digging in, and hopefully will be around till the end of the season. Fished out front last night, first 3 hours of the outgoing. 2 short bass on a needlefish and sandeel profile teaser combo. One hit the needle, one hit the teaser. These were light hits, I missed quite a few other bumps. Tried magdarter and teaser at first, but the neelefish got me further out in the breeze.

A friend and I were talking last night, he said someone was saying how hard these bass were hitting. :huh: Good luck with that, most of the guys I know are scratching out a slow pick, it ain't easy fishin, but at least they are there.

On the way home hit a spot in back, again looking for the 15#+ demon bluefish that were so abundant last year. Nope, maybe next time. ;)

LennyD
09-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Last night OC outgoing tide, nada

SharkHart
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
fished the middle of mon co. this am and there is an outrageous amount of fluke in the wash on sand eels 4 times i saw fluke go airborne on bait. They keep hittting my teaser so then i cheated with a gulp sand eel, then since nothing else was biting I hacked up a big sea robin added a 1/2 bucktail tiped with robin and a sand eel above and caught my most fluke ever in any outing. each jetty had them loded in the pocket, alot were spitting up sand eels. caught my limit.......just kidding :) CR

chas527
09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
fished s.h this morning.cauth some big blue fish.6 on jig and 8on bait[bunker]the ones on jig had to be 12 to 16 lbs.on bait a little smaller.

fishinmission78
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Fished Island beach this am 6-7, signs of life far out, but nothing in close where I was. One bluefish so small I wouldn't even call it a snapper got snagged on one of my trebles.

clamchucker
09-23-2009, 05:01 PM
There was a great bluefish bite early morning in monmouth county as the tide came in. I managed one small bass on a bomber right before sunrise, the sandeels were everywhere. An hour after the sun came up, it was bluefish mayhem. I managed a dozen up to 15lbs on metal, hopkins and diamond jigs. I have all the barbs on the metals smashed down, and lost as least twice that many. There were a few smaller ones mixed in, but the ferocity of the larger ones was thrilling and tiring at the same time. I should have fished a stouter rod today. I am tuckered out.

storminsteve
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Wow guys thanks for the reports looks like we might finally be getting some large up in NNJ after they had 3 days of blitzes at IBSP. I like em big boned, and I'm not talking about my women!:bigeyes::bigeyes: I'm pumped!

bababooey
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
. I like em big boned, and I'm not talking about my women!:bigeyes::bigeyes: I'm pumped!

Why not a little of both?:naughty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9QI18-Bpo&feature=related

yardvillejimmy
09-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Fished NoMoCo yesterday afternoon with a friend. One small striper on swimming plug. Friend caught two small blues.

DarkSkies
09-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Fished NoMoCo yesterday afternoon with a friend. One small striper on swimming plug. Friend caught two small blues.

Whoa Nelly! The OFFC is back in the saddle again! Good to see you guys didn't decide to sit the fall run out. :laugh: :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
09-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Got out a little late, hit the beach for the last of the outgoing and part of the incoming this AM.

As I walked on, some guys were coming off, said it was a slow pick. I could see that, not much action. I could also see bass slurping the sandeels not far out, it was frustrating. First threw a big needle and a black sandeel fly. Nothing, then switched to a yellow jointed bomber with the fly, at which point I got some small bumps.

At that point the sun started to come up. Just before that, a guy 50' to my left hooked and dropped a fish in the wash. We were BSing for a few minutes, and I found out it was Chaz. Nice to finally meet ya, man! :HappyWave:

The bait profile changed after sunup, there were clusters of small bait, very tiny, 1/2" long at most, maybe some bay anchovies and newly hatched peanuts. So I kept changing the presentation, downsizing both the teaser and what was attached. Ended up throwing metal, still no hookups.

Getting ready to leave, I switched to an ava007 with an orange tail. First cast get a nice hit, turned out to be an almost legal short. Back to the water, now I was more charged up and went looking for Chaz down the beach. We both threw the same metal and teaser for the next half hour hoping for another hookup. As most of you guys know, once the sun is up the bite is usually over, but the one bass was a motivation. Just as I said "last cast I'm done" got hit one more time. All hits were very close in the wash.

The conditions were perfect for a bite in the dark, misty rain, clearing slowly, some fog, and overcast skies. Wind started to build from the west, you couldn't ask for nicer conditions. We felt for sure the big bluefish would come along at any minute and start murdering the small bait.

Unfortunately I had to go to work (late :embarassed: ) so I cut out of there.

I'm definitely jealous of the retired guys who can fish in the day without time constraints. That's one of the reasons I don't like to hit the morning bite. It's tough for me to leave if conditions look fishy. I guess that's why they talk about the dark side of surf fishing. It surely is an addiction. :dribble:

And these aren't even big bass we're talking about at this stage of the run. :don't know why:

They drag us away from our responsibilities anyway, just for the one chance that something decent might be on the next cast. ;)

It really was a beautiful sunrise, I was glad to be out there and see another one on the water. :thumbsup:

cowherder
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
I went to the Hook this morning, and tried with a black mag darter and gulp sandeels, took the skunk.:skunk:

surfwalker
09-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Blew off work, got out front late. Clear water, packed with bait all day, in close. Sporadic Albies seen most of the time. Had 3 bumps in the dark, plugs. Sun up a few small head jerkers, metal. 10:30am picked up an Albie blind casting, Gibbs minnow, blue/white-fun. Bait was still thick at 2pm when I left. No Stripes.

Happy Trails

cowherder
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Fished Sandy Hook from 6-8pm tonight, there was a lot of bait around, and jumping. I didn't see any big fish crashing them tho. Got one decent blue on a pencil popper near sunset. wtg on the albacore surfwalker, I would love to catch one of those.

wish4fish
09-25-2009, 12:03 AM
way in the back, there is not a lot of bait left but the fish still come in for high tide. my cousin and me fished peanuts tonite got 14 blues to 11#.

buckethead
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
SH early this morning caught one small bass on a deadly ****.

yukon
09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
MoCo last night 9:30 - 12 Managed one short. Would have liked to see more white water.

plugcrazy
09-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Fished an OC beach last night, used hi low rigs and small hooks, all the croakers and kingfish you could want, and one dogfish who hit the rig and messed everything up. :burn:

seamonkey
09-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I fished a s jersey beach this morning before sunrise, let's just say it was near A/C. There was a nice blitz of bass in a jetty pocket, they were on peanuts and herring. 3 bass to 30" on white shads, all bass no bluefish.

chas527
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
fished nomoco yesterday morning and last night for a couple of hours. one bass lost in the wash.meet rich for the first time.it was a plesure to fish with him.went to sandy hook this morning don"t like fishing in east winds,but still managed two blue fish on bait.alot of small bait fish early.

clamchucker
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
One false albacore this morning on a deadly ****. 1 small bluefish before that. Above IBSP.

finchaser
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM
last night 9 bass to 29"
6 weakfish to 15"
3 fluke to 20"
All on DOA head and salt and pepper Rip Tide tail last 2 hours of the incoming taken from boat in the back

DarkSkies
09-26-2009, 01:57 AM
^^ Looks like you had the back bay home run, Finchaser. Only a bluefish was missing for the grand slam. :clapping: Good to hear news about the weakies, someone called me today with news of bigger weakies in the channels of RB, decent sizes. It's been so spotty for them this year, congrats.

I was out with Pebbles tonight for some leisure time, no fishing. :kooky: :ROFLMAO

We came upon some rough white water, and some guys fishin in the NE winds with gusts 20 mph. I grabbed a rod and joined them. One guy nailed a keeper on a metal krocodile 1/2 hour before we got there. There were a surprising number of nutcases fishing given the conditions... swell duration every 3 secs, only diminishing to every 5 secs when we left, lots of white water, :heart:and a strong sweep from left to right that only kept your offering in the strike zone for about 30 secs for each cast.

A few casts with metal and I saw why... sandeels right in close, so many that we were snagging them every few casts. We had started fishin as the tide was filling in, and as it came in quickly we lost the sandeel water until it was too far out to reach with the strong winds. Hey that's fishin. :don't know why:

Victor, his son, and their keeper. :thumbsup:

Fishin on the front side of a noreaster pays off. It's not a guarantee, but at least you get a better shot at some fish, and fish which might be bigger.

Left that spot as the tide filled, tried another area in the back for a bit. Tide was still a little too strong for the 2nd area and the wind had shifted to a steady N for awhile, so we called it a night.

ledhead36
09-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Nomoco early this morning. Thought maybe I could get something going. The wind was blowing and there was a lot of white water. Guy next to me caught a bass on metal but I managed :skunk:. Will try again tonight.

LennyD
09-26-2009, 10:22 AM
nomoco this am around 2-3am, ocean was rough, nada. Looked like Montauk!:)

Pebbles
09-26-2009, 10:30 AM
^^ I was out with Pebbles tonight for some leisure time, no fishing. :kooky: :ROFLMAO

:kooky: as it may sound (no fishing) we had a great time. We saw a bunch of birds and how could I stop him from pursuing his love. Glad you finally got the rod out, R. :kiss:

bababooey
09-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Glad you finally got the rod out, R. :kiss:

Ya know Dark, they do make these little blue pills- PM me if you need a doctor to prescribe them.:embarassed: :laugh:

storminsteve
09-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I fished somoco from 6-8 today, last of the outgoing. 2 small bass on a 3 oz hopkins with white bucktail attached. It was tough to get out into the wind, and the surf was big, but there were sandeels and small bass. Saw a few other guys hook up, we were near some structure.
I wanted to say how much I enjoy reading these reports. I try to say what I used, because I notice a lot of you guys do that too. I can't stand when someone puts up a report, says they caught 17 fish, and says their arms are tired, and nothing more. How did you catch those fish, with telepathy?:huh:
If you just want to boost your ego by saying you caught fish, maybe you should tell it to the sand crabs. Just my .02

cowherder
09-26-2009, 11:57 AM
I tried Sandy Hook for an hour this morning, using metal jigs and big poppers. It was a lot of whitecaps and tough to fish. It still made you appreciate the savage beauty of nature. And storminsteve, I feel the same way, this site rocks!:thumbsup: :cool:

vpass
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Fished this morning from 2am to 7:30am outgoing tide out front NOMOCO. Winds was out of the east. I used a black needlefish with yellow black teaser about 4 inches. I got 4 bass on the teaser and 3 bass on the Needlefish a total of 7 bass from 23 to 26 inches. I missed alot of fish due to the slack caused by the waves/wind.

surfwalker
09-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Nice vpass.
Out front this morning. Pretty stiff ESE blow. Nothing in the dark. First light a couple of small Bass, one on blue/white Eddystone teaser and one on a Deadly.

Happy Trails

DarkSkies
09-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the kind words Storminsteve. I try to do what I can and hence the reason for my multi paragraph reports. I try to put a picture in the readers' minds of what it was like to be out there, the conditions, the experience, all that are part of fishin to me, whether I get a fish or not.

But I'm only one person. The true measure of this site is you guys, and your willingness to contribute, and not cause me trouble administering petty arguments. So I thank you for that, and as long as you're happy coming here, I'll keep things going. :thumbsup:

Was feeling like I had to be out last night, so I ran out there for 2 hours before the rain got heavy. Those sandeels are a beautiful thing. Nothing big, all shorts, but I still managed 2 bass on a large floating black n white needle with chartreuse teaser, fished very slow. I love those sandeels. :heart:

wish4fish
09-27-2009, 11:48 AM
dark u run a good site but you need to get out with your peeps more last night u should have called me we were into fish instead you were fishing by yourself. :beatin: pick up the phone next time and holla.
we fished in the back last nite lousy rain but the fish wanted bunker at the top of the tide and first hour of outgoing. bunker and one z sinkers, also had some mullet we put out there. 12 blues to 10# and one baby bass.

cowherder
09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
wish4, I was wondering about the one oz. sinkers. I realize you were fishing the back, but wouldn't using only one oz get your bait moved around a lot in bad weather?

wish4fish
09-27-2009, 12:52 PM
dude most ppl put a too heavy sinker on, we only use more weight when we r near the inlets or fishin the ocean. otherwise u put the least amount u can get away with, this works best on outgoing, and the bait moves a little on the bottom and the fish don't spook at the weight, saves from losing ff rigs when u are fishin areas with snags. we catch more fish using less weight than the guys next to us. if i see someone using 3's or 4's i tell em to take them off!

Monty
09-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Out from from 1:30 to 830 am. Nothing in the dark, wind turned on big time around 3:00. After sun-up,, picked up 3 short stripers 22-26 inch on super strike green popper. 2 were taken over the sand bar, the other inside of the bar. Lots and lots of sandy white water, got knocked on my butskie two times from those waves..,good thing I am buoyant :thumbsup:

plugcrazy
09-27-2009, 02:22 PM
2 were taken over the sand bar, the other inside of the bar. Lots and lots of sandy white water, got knocked on my butskie two times from those waves..

Yes that water was something last night Monty! I didn't get knocked down, but fell against some rocks and scraped my knee. All in the name of war wounds we suffer for this thing we do. I fished southern Monmouth county last night for the first 3 hours of outgoing. I figured it was rough so I tried something different. I used a 2 oz ball jig with a white teaser, as a delivery mechanism for a pink fin-s about 36" above that. I got 4 bass to 32" and 2 19" fluke! There is no way they can tell me the fluke numbers are down. All released to swim another day.

finchaser
09-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Last night in the back
7 weakfish to 20"
1 bass
2 fluke

All on DOA jig head and Chartreuse tail water was dirty

c4charlie
09-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice finchaser. Not sure why I never run into weakfish. One day, I will catch my first.

Fished last night from 9pm-1am. Tried the back where there was a lot of action previous night, nothing there last night. What a diff a day makes. Decided to check out the ocean. It was roaring. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/cwm31.gif Gave it a go for a while, even managed to get on a jetty with tons of white water in front of me. No takers.
Then went to a spot off the beaten path (amazing we still have some of those left) that is good for the wind and tide. Second cast or so, fish on. Short striper on a pearl shad. Caught four more bass on schoolbus bomber and a megabait. I was too lazy to put on the teaser which I probably should have. Between the wind, a couple wind knots http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif and the fish, I was too busy. Also got to see some bass feeding and bait jumping which is always fun. Fun night!

basshunter
09-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice catches guys. I hit LBI this morning with some metal, 6-7am, only one small bluefish on a diamond jig.

chas527
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
fishes sandy hook this morning, nothing not a bite nobirds working no bait in water.

LennyD
09-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Last night in the back
7 weakfish to 20"
1 bass
2 fluke

All on DOA jig head and Chartreuse tail water was dirty

Nice job Fichaser.
I appreciate your post, man.
Hope one day or night i see you out there.
Its crazy, cuz you or someone else may fish next to me from the site and we"ll never even know that we "know" each other from here.
Good job again!:clapping:

finchaser
09-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice job Fichaser.
I appreciate your post, man.
Its crazy, cuz you or someone else may fish next to me from the site and we"ll never even know that we "know" each other from here.
Good job again!:clapping:

any time

DarkSkies
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Lenny, ya only have a slight chance of seeing this smooth operator when the moon is out. Otherwise he operates in the darkness of night, moves around with stealth and speed. On the moonless nights he might as well be invisible, he's the Night Ninja of Bass! :thumbsup: :cool:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7334&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1247526390 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7334&d=1247526390)

vpass
09-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Fished outgoing tide from 6 PM to 8PM out front in NoMoCo. The winds were from the south switching to WSW at 6:15PM right at the Front that passed thru. I had no hits nor fish :skunk:. Lots of white water. It did look fishy. I fished A17, Needles, Bucktail with FinS, and swimmers. All with school bus color teaser.

cowherder
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I fished out front last night too vpass, but the winds were strong and I ended up going to Sandy hook. I was throwing kastmasters and hopkins in the dark where it wasn't so windy. I guess the fish don't have to see them they only have to feel the vibrations? Well I wasn't sure but tried anyway, got the skunk. Quit when the rain came. I am impressed by the guys who were fishing in that wind in the ocean, because it was pretty intense.:scared:

storminsteve
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
I guess the fish don't have to see them they only have to feel the vibrations? Well I wasn't sure but tried anyway, got the skunk. Quit when the rain came. I am impressed by the guys who were fishing in that wind in the ocean, because it was pretty intense.:scared:

I have no problem throwing metal at night, but then I am jigging and stopping it more than a steady retrieve. Kind of like what a dying fish would do. I have caught some fish that way. Usually I do this when there is a lot of bait around. My technique isn't so great, so maybe someone else has better ideas.
I fished in the windy conditions last night. cowherder when it's windy you have to ask yourself where, given the wind,would you be in the best position to fish? Fish that place, and have some back bay spots if it doesn't work out. I would rather fish white wind-swept water than calm water. I was throwing a magdarter with white teaser last night, got one bass 29", released, on the black darter, in somoco. I think the fish are there, but not at every spot. You have to slow things down when it's rough out.

clamchucker
09-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I went to the beach and felt the strong SSW winds this morning. I didn't particularly care for that, and the water was a little dirty. I then got some green crabs and fished for blackfish in a back bay area, getting my one keeper. There are a lot of them now, if anyone is interested. Slack tide and a little before and after.

GeoffT
09-29-2009, 11:25 PM
One of my regular partners ran into an intense blitz with big blues and bass blasting peanuts in the back somewhere in MoCo last night. Fish were picky and he had a hard time catching anything, though.

But the stage is set - cooler nights, tons of bait, and fish are starting to bite more consistently.

storminsteve
09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Fished to the n of an Ocean county inlet last night, last 3 hours of outgoing. There were a lot of sand eels around, so I threw black and silver sluggos. The w wind made me into a great surfcaster, it seemed like I could cast a mile. 2 bass to 31", released, and one 23" fluke (that I am so :burn: I had to release)

finchaser
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Tried out front this am 4 to 8am nada:skunk:except shad at first light

ledhead36
09-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Moco this morning, fished some rocky areas with a needlefish and a teaser. Bass on the needlefish, and 2 small weakfish on the teaser.

fishinmission78
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Fished IBSP before sunrise, some small spike weakies and shad on a black teaser at first light. No bass, also one small bluefish on the same teaser.

clamchucker
09-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I got a late start today and decided to take it easy and buy some green crabs. 17 blackfish near slack in the back, one keeper. Blackfish soup anyone?

SharkHart
09-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Disappointing fishing outfront, i thought maybe the cool front would induce a better bite, tried a little bit around change of tide but there wasnt any water, back out at 4am and lost a bass on first cast on a bomber, thought they "were there" worked 2 nice jetties up and down to light without a hit. At least the fluke were around and after the teaser at sunup, switched to 7 foot rod and gulp and landed about 10 to 18" by 8am

LennyD
09-30-2009, 09:58 PM
MOCO tonight, from 5-830pm, 1 fluke on a bomber.:skunk:

yardvillejimmy
10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Fished IBSP in the afternoon. Lots of bait going by. No fish. :skunk:

surfwalker
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Out front, on the walk early am, bright moon and clear skies,WNW wind-one fluke on black Redgill teaser, nothing else. Moonset around 4am- not a tap. First light, overcast-same as previous. Plenty of small bait, some sandeels. Threw all the regulars and some that haven't been used much. Picked up some small head jerkers, metal, no Stripes. Saw no indication of Albies, tried anyway. Water was clear and as Dark calls it "Lake Atlantic". Just a "Nice Day" of constant walking and casting, nothing wrong with that.