PDA

View Full Version : carts for the surf

buckethead
09-16-2009, 06:16 PM
When I was out fishing last weekend at SH I saw a guy with a handmade surf cart. I never used one before and thought it looked pretty cool. How many of you own and use one?

clamchucker
09-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I used to bring a cart for many years buckethead. They are quite convenient for bait fishing. Fishing at Island beach makes it easier because you can set up your buggy as your cart. I don't bring a cart much anymore unless I am fishing a beach like Sandy Hook where they do not allow you to drive on. At my age, less is better. I do think the best design for the carts is one where the wheels are very oversized. This desplaces the load better and makes it easier to handle. The only negative comment I can say about a cart is I feel it encourages you to bring too many items you don't need. But to each his own.

Jackbass
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
I went fishing with a guy one time that had one of those. Mind you i tend to bring one rod a plug bag maybe a couple of snaps and my wading belt. I like to stick and move I guess.

If you are bait fishing it seems the cart set up is decent but like clamchucker said it engcourages too much extra equipment. This Kid brought 3 rods 4 sand spikes a cooler loaded with bait. A tackle box fillet knife a 6 pack of beer. He was constantly watching the cart with the tide coming in.

Not for me but it works well for others

jigfreak
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Light weight setup

DarkSkies
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
G and I met Joe the other night.

He took a frame for a power washer, and set it up as a surf/pier cart, with some modifications. Pretty cool, here it is.

Rod holders along the side

Cooler fits neatly in the middle, more rod holders in the back. The aluminum stabilizer you see here he got from something else. He installed it here to stabilize the cart.

He crafted a bait station/tray by taking aluminum ladder rungs from a swimming pool ladder someone threw away.

The guy really likes to tinker with stuff. As he's retired, not spending $200 on a fancy cart was important to him. I think his handiwork is pretty cool, nice meetin ya Joe!

skinner
06-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Now that a cart. Looks like it is not missing a thing. Great Job.

finchaser
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Now that a cart. Looks like it is not missing a thing. Great Job.

Except a good power washing;)