PDA

View Full Version : Why is it?

buckethead
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Why is it some guys catch lots of bass each season and some barely get one? Is it skill, paying attention to what is going on around you or maybe it is knowing how to correctly set the hook.
Any thoughts?

Monty
09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Surf fishing knowledge, skill and experience to start, at some point confidence in catching comes in, where you expect to catch fish (I think this means a lot).

JakeF
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Surf fishing knowledge, skill and experience to start, at some point confidence in catching comes in, where you expect to catch fish (I think this means a lot).

Exactly,,, if a guy puts in the necessary time and pays attention to the details he'll know where and when to be, and the most productive way to fish the chosen location. A guy who has done this will have a much higher catch rate than a guy who hasn't. There's more to it than just casting and hoping.

blitzhunter
09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
There is a guy I know in NJ who talks about a writer from NJ shore area. The guy is supposed to be great at catching albacore. He is a longtime well respected fisherman. I heard last year he did not do so well with the albies. People were running circles around him.
If it has to do with doing your time and your skill, why did he do so poorly?

JakeF
09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know about that guy in particular, but one possible explanation could be failure to adapt to changing conditions. It's easy to get in a rut and just do what we've always done. The learning is never over and one must always be on the lookout for new clues that will lead to better productivity. :thumbsup: