PDA

View Full Version : picky bluefish

porgy75
09-19-2009, 11:24 AM
The last few times I have been out have been on the weekends. Ii have observed good numbers of people fishing the beaches, tho it seems even when there are smaller fish around the bluefish are sometimes picky.
What do do for picky bluefish, how do you catch them?

Frankiesurf
09-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Try using a swimmer. I had some luck with this in the past.

Instead of using the staples of either poppers or tins throw something nobody else is throwing, change up your retrieve on what you are using, in other words you must experiment because there is no guarantees on any fish.

williehookem
09-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Either you have to try something to get them angry, like the rapid action of a spook or a bottle darter, or try a different profile, like frankiesurf said. They can be very fussy at times. When a guy posts on the internet that they will eat anything you throw at them, I have to chcukle a bit and think that that is the kind of person that has most of their experience fishing in blitzes.

dogfish
09-19-2009, 04:23 PM
When a guy posts on the internet that they will eat anything you throw at them, I have to chcukle a bit and think that that is the kind of person that has most of their experience fishing in blitzes.

I laugh when I see that too. There have been times when I was next to a guy using a steel leader, and I only had 50 or 80lb braid for a leader, and caught more fish. They would hit less on the steel leader, even the black ones. Go figure, picky bluefish.

VSdreams
09-19-2009, 05:35 PM
They are absolutely picky. I have been out there when the only ones who were getting them were the fly guys throwing small flies. And these were big bluefish 10 pds and up.

stripercrazy
09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
They're not called the yellow eyed demons for nothing.:devil:

Monty
09-19-2009, 06:24 PM
A few times this year they (10 lb+ choppers) would only hit a slow swimming big metal lip.
Some times a bright yellow/red pencil splashing like crazy will do the trick (I think it pisses them off).

7deadlyplugs
09-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I think when they are on the small whitebait and such they are the pickiest.

wish4fish
09-25-2009, 12:08 AM
when they r picky u give them bait, we catch bluefish when no one else thinks they r there.