PDA

View Full Version : Could you do it?

Stripercoast1
09-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I know someone who can, and did.
Some of the luckier folks here know him, and would agree that he is a man of honor and integrity. He fishes his a$$ off when ever he can. He started skishing this year and caused/helped me to get in as well. He's one of the best freinds I have and in the top 3 of my all time.
JakeF, my Vice President, National Chapter, Stripercoastsurfcasters, Caught and released while skishing last night, a 58 inch super cow, that more than likely would have been a new state record, and possibly THE girl many of us seek. He caught it not far from where I released my 73+ last year.
Congratulations to Jake, I am proud to have you as a freind and fishing partner.

buckethead
09-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow 58 inches what a pig! Any pics? Great catch!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Nice Ed, I look forward to Jake's report. :clapping: :thumbsup:

Stripercoast1
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
There are no pictures...............his word is diamonds as far as I am concerned.
The fish was caught while skishing and released.

surfwalker
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Congrats to Jake on that catch and release. I think the release of that Striper was more satisfying than sticking it on a wall. Looking forward to reading about the way it went down. Thanks for posting it SC1.

Happy Trails

JakeF
09-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Ed, I don't know what to say. Thank you. You're a good friend. :thumbsup:

It is impossible to weigh a fish like that when you're swimming, but I wish I could have,,, just so I would know. I've thought about what I would do if I ever caught her, to release or not to release. I could never make up my mind. But in the moment, there was only one choice. She was too beautiful to kill.

My waterproof camera doesn't have a flash, so it's useless at night. Even if it did, there's no way I could even lift her out of the water, much less photograph her by myself. She was ready to swim away and I let her go.

I didn't really even feel like talking about it when I got back to the truck.

She fell for a dead eel on a tin eel squid.

cowherder
09-22-2009, 03:16 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: Jake grats on that big cow!!!!:wow: We don't need to see pics, we believe you. But how about some details, like the story you did in "twas a dark stormy night". Don't leave anything out.:dribble:
I would really like to know how you work that rigged eel while swimming in the water at night.
Also, did you kiss her on the head before you released her, or is that too hard to do when you are in the water like that? And how deep was the water where you got her? thanks, Jake

dogfish
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
wtg, Jake, if more people released big bass like that we would soon have bass caught in the 80# class.:thumbsup:

Pebbles
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
That must have been some fish. Congratulations! :clapping:

Monty
09-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Jake, awesome accomplishment. The release is inspiring!
Would really like to hear the details, the thoughts you had during the fight/release. Your other reports were great.
Again, incredible accomplishment. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

storminsteve
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Holy crap 58", any kind of guesstimate of what the weight might have been? Fantastic catch!:wow::wow::wow::wow: :thumbsup:

BassBuddah
09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
:clapping::clapping: Incredible story, let's hear it, please, Jake.

JakeF
09-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys... I'll write it up right as soon as I get a chance. Right now I'm about to crash... I've had 1 hour of sleep since Sunday, with 11 hour workdays between fishing. I'm beat. :embarassed:

JakeF
09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Holy crap 58", any kind of guesstimate of what the weight might have been?

I didn't have anything on me to measure the girth, and without that it's hard to say with any accuracy. She was not pot bellied FAT, but she was definitely not skinny either. The length-to-weight charts I've seen top out at 55" with an average 55" fish at 70lbs. I imagine a 58" fish with nice belly would have to be a bit more than that.

It had been a while since I read Al McReynold's story, so I just had to go back and re-read it today. It said that his 78.8 lb fish, measured 53" long and its girth was measured at 34.5". I'd forgotten those numbers. Here's that fish...

http://www.stripers247.com/images/wrstriper.gif

RocksandReds
09-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats on a super fish and double congrats on the release!! You are definetly a better man than me, one day if we ever meet you I will for sure shake your hand for releaseing that fish:clapping::clapping::clapping:

paco33
09-23-2009, 07:01 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping: Wow, congratulations are in order. I would love to hear the story.

rockhopper
09-23-2009, 07:06 PM
many grats on that accomplishment. I can only hope that someday I will get a 50, it must feel so good, and even better to put her back.:thumbsup:

7deadlyplugs
09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
fantastic achievement dude!!! The story please!!

Frankiesurf
09-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Nice Jake!:thumbsup:

Was that a personal best?

JakeF
09-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys. I've been flat out with work this week. I'll try to find time to put the story down by the weekend.

Nice Jake!:thumbsup:

Was that a personal best?

Yes, for sure. It made last year's 50 look small.

JakeF
09-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Here's the story :thumbsup:

The Cow of 2009 (http://www.skishingnewengland.com/blogs/thecow.html)

cowherder
09-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow!:clapping::clapping::clapping: :wow: Great story Jake!