PDA

View Full Version : costs the least

baitstealer
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
What set up do you have that cost the least but catches to most?

wish4fish
09-25-2009, 12:18 AM
tica dolphin rod, penn 704 reel, both at a garage sale for $20, outfishes all the times but when u fight big bluefish or the big girls are on bunker in june, then you need a 12' stick and more beef.

VSdreams
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
It depends on what you are fishing for. For stripers and blues in the spring when you may get a 40lb bass or 16lb blue you want a stick that has some beef and can handle the fish. If the surf is big I use a 10'6" stick to get out there. In the late fall fish are a lot bigger and I downsize to a smaller rod or else you kill your shoulder. It all depends on where and what you are fishing for. A VS is good but not necessary unless you fish the rocks at Montauk or get wet in the surf a lot. Many times the fish are right at your feet, especially at night.

vpass
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I fished Tica Rods for many Years and love them. I picked them up for near 80 dollars each. One was 1/2 oz to I think 2oz, and the other was from 1oz to 3 oz both 9 feet. and I fished 710z reels that I picked up a few from Ebay, about 30 to 40 dollars. Caught over 300 bass in 2004 on that setup. I fished the 1/2on to 2oz setup for almost 4 years before the guids start to fall off. After 10 years fishing Tica. I got My first MoJo. I love My MoJo. Still fishing the 710z, and 704z. I can't kill those reels. I have 4 704 reels, 2 that are bailess. and 4 710z and 1 712z. The most I spent on my 704z was 80 dollars, I did pickup 2 for 50 dollars and there was nothing wrong with them.

surfstix1963
01-05-2013, 05:11 AM
I don't have much of anything left except for plugs some terminal tackle and my 11" lami triflex. My other rods I gave to my nephew and brother to fish with since I got tired of watching them drop dust on my head while tying teasers. I've been doing some heavy liquidation it's amazing how much crap you buy,I'm considering selling some of my heavier plugs.So I'm basically down to a functioning rod a broken rod and my seeker boat rod which I plan on taking to the grave with me I love that rod.I can tell you my 1st. rod was a 10 ft. Penn Slammer I bought at Herman's Sporting Goods with a 704 looking back I would call that the beefstick and meat grinder indestructible.