PDA

View Full Version : Pressing your skill level.

Pebbles
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I have known Rich for many years now. He is a hardcore fisherman who always likes to press his skill limit. I have seen him on the end of jetties during storms or wading neck high in water just to get out to a specific rock. He forever pushes his limits and tests his skills. :beatin:. Is he the only one?

JakeF
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't spank him too hard :beatin:, Pebbles.
Pushing yourself to the limit is half the fun of surfcasting :naughty:

johnnysaxatilis
09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
how bout swimming and fishing like ahhhhh that guy right above me, jake; and gunny (stripercoast1). Bout as core as it gets:don't know why:

williehookem
09-30-2009, 05:10 PM
how bout swimming and fishing like ahhhhh that guy right above me, jake; and gunny (stripercoast1). Bout as core as it gets:don't know why:

I hope those 2 never have to undergo a psychological evaluation for a job.:kooky:
Seriously, cuts and bruises and a broken bone or 2 are part of life and fishing on the rocks. The biggest thing is drowning. As long as you prepare for that and try to avoid it, I say live your life with no regrets. I was reading a story on another site about a guy whose father worked hard all their lives to keep the family in clothes and a good house. Now the dad up in years and he wants to hop the rocks like his son does, but it's too late. You never know when your life might be snuffed out, go for the gusto!:viking:

Monty
09-30-2009, 09:25 PM
No, Rich is not the only one (who needs his head examined). The passion some of us have for hunting stripers is strong. Wading out to a sand bar, taking a wave over a head, exhilarating, a rush. Then there are guys like Jake who take it to another level. Its part of getting out there, away from the grind, loosing yourself in the pursuit of Stripers.

Stripercoast1
10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Some people are content with a lawn chair, cold beer and a rod in a sand spike, waiting for a fish to swim along.
Some feel the need to hunt them down. That is the personality that brings the need to continue to push the personal envelope. As you try new things, learn new techniques, and find success, you also gain confidence. You wade a little deeper because you now know that the piece of water a little further out than you can cast will hold fish. You learn to get your feet planted on the rock that is gettin covered in wash. You also over come your fears and understand the risk is calculated. You eventually find yourself in a wetsuit. The last step for a surfcaster, is getting rid of the korkers and replacing them with fins.
Natural progression.
Whatever makes the experiance more exciting, and increases your success.

clamchucker
10-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I took more chances when I was younger. it was different then. You folks who push things to the limit like this are fine, as long as you don't have families that will suffer if something happens to you. At this stage in life I have too many that depend on me.