PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for October 2009

DarkSkies
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/misc/progress.gif

DarkSkies
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Rockhopper you won the plug in the September random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

pescador29
10-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I fished SI this morning before the sun come up. There was lots of hungry bluefish. 3 bluefish, the biggest 32", and 1 striper 31". We used bunker.

7deadlyplugs
10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
2 bass to 29" 6-8am, out front Jones area, white shads. Lots of whitewater out there, fish were in close.

rockhopper
10-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey Darkskies, thanks very much for the plug! I will fish it hard! I was out on the beach this morning, SS, west. One small runt on a bunker chunk. There were some birds and bait they moved by quickly, maybe albies.

jimbob
10-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I got out yesterday morning after the thunderstorms for about 2 hours. I threw plugs for no hits at all. I fished south shore, I saw some small bass caught, maybe one was a keeper on bait.

Frankiesurf
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I fished the North Fork last night. Could not get out to the spot I wanted to due to the moon tide. That resulted in zero fish. There were some small bait around but I could not identify it.

The worst part about not being able to get to the rock I wanted was the three guys in wetsuits that walked past little ole me standing there in my waders and directly to where I wanted to be. :banghead2:

nitestrikes
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Last night, the eau de skunke followed me as I cast a 1 oz bucktail and porkrind combo to some rocks out front west of Jones.:skunk:
This morning I fished again 6-7am, one small bass 25".

BassBuddah
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Good fishing to the East. This morning before dawn I fished some needles and caught some decent bass, slow retrieve. Sand eels were everywhere.:fishing:

rockhopper
10-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Went out last night thinking since there was some nice waterwater I could catch myself some fish. I threw out a couple different bombers and had one hit within 15 minutes. It never made it in, but I kept trying to catch her to no avail.

DarkSkies
10-08-2009, 10:09 PM
It never made it in, but I kept trying to catch her to no avail.

Dude, maybe next time you should try jumping on her! :laugh: Just kidding, at least ya tried, and got out there to fish. You'll gettum next time. :thumbsup:

plugginpete
10-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Fished the Moses area from 4 to 5 this morning. A few light taps using a bomber, no fish.:skunk:

williehookem
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
One bluefish, one runt bass, this AM to the west. Wind was a pain, bucktail was the ticket.

stripercrazy
10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
After all the chatter I was hearing I drove up to Montauk after work yesterday. There were fish, but where I was it seemed like lots of small bluefish. I had a great time catching and releasing over 30 of the demons on diamond jigs with green tails. They were feeding on sandeels. I did see one bass caught, about 20#, but it was mostly bluefish. There were a lot of birds working just out of reach.

7deadlyplugs
10-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Fished the Moriches area between 5:30-9am. One short striper before sunup on a yellow mambo. Around 8 the water erupted into boils of 8-10lb blues feeding on sandeels and rainfish. The action only lasted for 10 minutes. I got 3 nice blues on metal until I got bit off. By the time I re-tied, the action was done.
I saw fish jumping further out around 7:30 am and assumed they were bluefish, which I later though they came into shore. It was hard to see them far out as they were, and they were fatter than bluefish, so now looking back I realize they might have been albies. I did not see any albies landed either by the guys on the beach or the 2 boats that were out there.

plugginpete
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Decided to change it up and try a hunch Sunday afternoon. Fished the western sound from 1-6pm, near a harbor. I brought plugs, bucktails and shads. There were guys getting some nice sized bluefish there on bunker. I did nothing with the artificials.
Lost 2 bucks on the bottom.:burn:

7deadlyplugs
10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I tried a black mambo and a black magdarter between 5-7am, E of moses. One skate, water wasn't that bad, no bait in front of me though. It definitely felt fishy out.

nitestrikes
10-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Big blues are here. Fished the Moses area tonight from 5-8pm, managed 5 blues to 14#, and one 27" bass, all on metal, crocodile spoon 2 oz. It was pretty windy.

FishonLI
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Fished SWR area this morning from 5:30-7:30am, high was at 8:30am. No bait, and no takes on chicken scratch bomber or SS purple/black.

jimbob
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Just got back from Martha's Vineyard. Great place to be, unfortunatly the fishing was not too good. I fished with good friends and had a lot of fun. The weather was not cooperative. It was very windy or the ocean was nasty with huge waves. I still can't wait to go and fish there again.

jimbob
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
more M.V. pics

Frankiesurf
10-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. Even a few dinks are worth traveling for if you spend time with good people.

blitzhunter
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Went out last night caught one blue 10lbs on a popper.

BassBuddah
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
I fished with good friends and had a lot of fun. The weather was not cooperative. It was very windy or the ocean was nasty with huge waves. I still can't wait to go and fish there again.

Very nice pics, good friends make it all worthwhile. I fished Mecca Thur morning from 4to6. I thought it would be on fire, maybe it was, but somewhere where I was not. One bass 29" on a 2 1/2 oz bucktail with pork.

FishonLI
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Went out this morning to Shoreham-Wading River and was on the beach by 6:15am. The only thing I caught was lots of seaweed and a chill. Called it quits by 7:30am. The water on the north shore was angry this morning!

Frankiesurf
10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Montauk was a washout yesterday. My buddy and I couldn't get out as early as we wanted because work got in the way for both of us. As we passed town at about 4:30 there was a pilgrimage of trucks going the other way. We fished along the front side with the wind in our face for nothing. Beautiful white water but nothing in it. Went around the South side. With the 30 knot wind and current going the same direction it was tough to catch up to and make contact with anything we were throwing. Bottle plugs grabbed nicely but you had to really crank them in to keep up with it. We gave up at the point and made our way to a back bay area. There were plenty of anchovies in there but the wind was now at our cheek and even stronger than before.

We stuck it out for a few hours out there but came up with nothing. Actually we caught a buzz with some Johnny Black and Jamesons at Ruby Tuesdays afterwards.

Besides some of the most brutal weather I have been out in, it was still a good time.

DarkSkies
10-16-2009, 08:15 PM
We stuck it out for a few hours out there but came up with nothing. Actually we caught a buzz with some Johnny Black and Jamesons at Ruby Tuesdays afterwards.

Besides some of the most brutal weather I have been out in, it was still a good time.

They say Montauk is a drinking town with a fishing problem. ;) At least you caught a buzz.:plastered:

Note Jack Yee at 0:30, he's still smokin. :plastered: :dribble::fishing: :thumbsup:
ZdvkuLx5m-M

DarkSkies
10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Went out this morning to Shoreham-Wading River and was on the beach by 6:15am. The only thing I caught was lots of seaweed and a chill. Called it quits by 7:30am. The water on the north shore was angry this morning!

Those definitely look like angry waters, but ya never know when you'll hit the jackpot in weather like that. It definitely keeps the crowds away. ;)
Hey FishonLI, I don't believe I got a chance to welcome you to the site yet! Beautiful pics you guys are putting up, thanks for sharing. Welcome aboard! :HappyWave:

crosseyedbass
10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
more M.V. pics

Hey Jimbob, I was curious as to what MV is like, lots of rocks like Montauk or more sandy beaches? Awesome pics btw.

williehookem
10-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah jb, great photos, keep em comin. I fished a SS beach this morning, wind and foam everywhere. Used darters and bucktails, not a tap. Amazing white water.

jimbob
10-17-2009, 04:26 PM
I went out to three different places this morning and could not get to the spots I wanted to because of high water. I made a few casts however but came up empty. crosseyedbass, M.V. is great, whatever kind of beach you like is there. Rocks, sand, jettys, ponds, creeks you name it. Sometimes it gets crowded but there is always somewhere else to go.

nitestrikes
10-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Fished Montauk this morning 6-8:15 am. Managed 2 bluefish to 5lbs with the large size deadly ****. All fish at the furthest ends of the casts, nothing in close.

jimbob
10-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I just got back from fishing a back bay area in the Moriches area. I caught 6 bass all keepers from 28" to 34" I kept one for dinner. after it got dark the tide slacked and the fish stopped hitting.

plugginpete
10-21-2009, 04:34 PM
:clapping: Nice bass jimbob! The sunset pic isn't bad either. I fished a SS beach this morning from 5-7 on the incoming. I worked the left side of a few jetties. There were some weeds so I moved a few times. Got one around 7 on a tsunami shad, little runt. I was going to say where are the bigger fish but I think jimbob keyed in on them. Would you mind sharing what you were using? Thanks

rockhopper
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
34" are nice sized bass, nice catches! I fished in back of an inlet area this morning on the incoming, fresh clams. One 29" striper on the clams and also a short blackfish. Blackfish went back, striper will be dinner.:drool:

jimbob
10-21-2009, 06:00 PM
:clapping: Nice bass jimbob! The sunset pic isn't bad either. I fished a SS beach this morning from 5-7 on the incoming. I worked the left side of a few jetties. There were some weeds so I moved a few times. Got one around 7 on a tsunami shad, little runt. I was going to say where are the bigger fish but I think jimbob keyed in on them. Would you mind sharing what you were using? Thanks
Thanks, I caught the fish on a chartruse Zara super spook, a
2 1/2 ounce black creek chub popper, and a 7" chrome and blue redfin. I had hits on a 3 ounce white Danny plug.

plugginpete
10-21-2009, 08:22 PM
^^^Wow you really change it up a lot, 3 different plugs for 6 different fish. Thanks for the info.

strikezone31
10-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Fished in the bay, caught one striper 29" on a needlefish.

jimbob
10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I went out this afternoon to the same spot as Tuesday. The wind was blowing hard east so the rip did not form. It was also difficult to work surface plugs, but when I got the right angle I got hits. I landed 5 Bass and had many hits. as it got dark the cross wind was just too much so I left early.

jimbob
10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I hit the same spot this afternoon, the tide was very high and it was a while before I got my first hit. I caught 8 Stripers between 22" and 32" with 3 keepers all released. I only tagged 3 fish because there was no dry land for the first five fish, the area was flooded.

pescador29
10-25-2009, 12:37 AM
I fished SI for 5 hours with clams with my brother. We got 2 stripers in the rain, then the rain stopped. We got 2 more stripers 29" and 29 1/2", we took them home.

FishonLI
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Fished MTK 10/24 from 5pm until dusk. Caught 15" blue on first cast and around 6pm picked up a bass just shy of 28" from the town beach on tins. Both released to be caught another day.

blitzhunter
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Nice, Fishon. I was there yesterday and fished 7-10am. All I got was bluefish. I used diamond jigs, hopkins, and bucktails. I did see a few small bass caught but they were runts. Also heard of some large caught at night, but it seemed to be slow where I was fishing.

rockhopper
10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I hit the same spot this afternoon, the tide was very high and it was a while before I got my first hit. I caught 8 Stripers between 22" and 32" with 3 keepers all released. I only tagged 3 fish because there was no dry land for the first five fish, the area was flooded.

I fished a ss beach from 3:30 to 6:30 today. I was throwing a chartreuse tsunami shad and working the cuts. 2 missed hits, that was it for me. Jimbob is that a tattoo sea pup youre using, the yellow one? Great pics btw, I don't know how you keep your hand so steady without blurring the shot.

plugginpete
10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Western s shore this am, one 26" bass on a 2 oz buck. The water was good in that there weren't too many weeds, but it was still churned up.

jimbob
10-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Jimbob is that a tattoo sea pup youre using, the yellow one? Great pics btw, I don't know how you keep your hand so steady without blurring the shot.

That plug is my favorite this year it is a Zara Super Spook. My camera has image stabilization, it works exept when the shutter is open for a long time.

I went to a south shore inlet area last night I had one hit and that was it. I stopped by the back bay area that produced for me over the weekend and never got a hit there.

Monty
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
JimBob,
Your pics are great, a step above others (creative).
Ever try to time a hit on a plug with a picture (like on the spook)?

That plug is my favorite this year it is a Zara Super Spook. My camera has image stabilization, it works exept when the shutter is open for a long time.

I went to a south shore inlet area last night I had one hit and that was it. I stopped by the back bay area that produced for me over the weekend and never got a hit there.

BassBuddah
10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I drove to Montauk yesterday early pm. Fished 3-8, one small bass on bucktail and rubber worm, and a few bluefish on Hopkins tins. Montauk has been a disappointment this year.

rockhopper
10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah BB, heard of some pretty slim pickins at mecca. I fished a SS spot by an inlet last night from 8-9 with a bucktail. My friends had been pulling in some decent bass. It was tough with the sweep. I might have given up too soon, but it was getting nasty. Nada for me.:skunk:

7deadlyplugs
10-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Jones area from 3-6pm today. I threw bucktails, shads and tins. One runt on a diamond jig with teaser. The ocean was rough.

rockhopper
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Another skunk for the books! I fished today and got up late. The water was close to slack and too skinny. I saw birds way out but no one catching anything near where I was, ss sand beach. Diamond jigs and hopkins with bucktail, I'm 0 for 2.:embarassed:

BassBuddah
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Fished near Shinny this afternoon 3-6. The water looked real fishy.The wind was bad, in your face. Fished the incoming using a 3 oz tin with a red tail. Got a decent 34" bass on the 5th cast, released, then nothing.

jimbob
10-31-2009, 11:06 PM
I went out this afternoon to a south shore Inlet area, The Ocean was rough, weedy, and the wind was blowing hard in my face so I went to the back. I caught a pugnosed Bass that was just over 28" and a Bluefish that was 34" long and hit a 5" Yozuri Crystal Minnow. I also had a few hits as well. Both fish were released, the Bass with a tag. I forgot the camera today.

crosseyedbass
11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
small fat rats!
Fished ss eastern beach today 6-7:30am, 2 fat rats to 25". Diamond jig with green tail. The water is turning brown in places. Look for the white water.