PDA

View Full Version : drytops

basshunter
10-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I am looking to get my first drytop, are there any recommendations? I wanted to get a Bomber Gear drytop but at $268 it is a little to much. I was thinking about a level six drytop.

vpass
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm finally thinking of getting a drytop. I'm getting tired of getting drenched. What do you guys recommend? Should I get the drytop extra large for Layering for colder weather?

DarkSkies
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I think we're about the same size, I might be a little fatter. :embarassed:

I was considering the Aquaskinz Raptor. They had a deal on a used one at Giglio's B&T. I almost bought it, but there was enough negative feedback in another site to make me think twice.

As for that product line, I don't want to start a war here, but there seems to be a problem with the zipper longevity. I heard the same argument from some of my friends who fish 5-7 nights a week and didn't want to publically bash the guy.

And I would like to go on record as saying that he has good recognition in the surf community. I met him a few times, and he always seemed like a nice guy to me. :thumbsup:

I hope he's smart enough use the negative feedback about the zippers and start making them with premium quality ones that can withstand the harsh environment.

The hardcore surfcaster market is a small but lucrative market. Guys are willing to pay $700 to $1000 for one reel, $3-600 for a custom rod, and hundreds for the right gear that will keep them dry and hold up to the harsh saltwater environment.

Any business owner who taps into that psyche and can develop a loyal surfcaster base with a premium product and above-average customer service can get a handsome premium for his products and do quite well. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

However, surfcasters are intensely quick to bash a product that they feel doesn't deliver, even when sometimes it's their own fault. I think lots of guys have had different experiences with those drytops, hence the greatly varying opinions.

So I hope people understand I am rooting for Aquaskinz to address what seem to be some valid complaints and remain in business.

Bomber Gear: for the Hardcore outdoors enthusiast

In the meantime, I needed something I can rely on in the coldest and nastiest environments. For example, I got knocked down the other night by the undertow and dragged for 10 feet before I could regain my footing. :scared: I still stayed dry with my Bomber top on.

I had heard a lot of good things about the Bomber jackets targeted at kayak guys. We went to their website and found there were none in XL left of the old design, red and black. (I guess a lot of us are XL, there was no shortage of the XS jackets) :laugh:

So I scored a new Bomber jacket from an aftermarket kayak gear site for $180 + shipping. I'm very happy with it. Here's a pic:

Here's a link to their site, but as a frugal consumer, $280 was a bit much for me. I believe you can find the old style for slightly less ($180 or less) if you look elsewhere, but then it probably voids the warranty.

http://www.bombergear.com/2009_2/product.php?id_product=46

Again, if any guys have Aquaskinz drytops, use them more than once a week, and are happy with them, I would like to hear those comments here.

For me, I'm looking for something that I can wear night after night and that will hold up to the weekends when I'm "livin in my van, down by the river" :lookhappy: And the Bomber jacket with the rubber gaskets fits the bill. I'm so glad to have it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Of course, if anyone has any valid negative criticism of the Bomber jackets, I would like to hear that as well.

Monty
11-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I have the AquaSkinz Phantom Waterproof Top.
3 years old. I wear it about 15x a year. Extremely happy with it.
I also have AquaSkinz Bayman top, bought this year (much lighter than the Phantom), wore it about 12x, again happy with it.

So that it does not sound like I am an AquaSkinz nut :kooky:, I do not like the AquaSkinz surf bags at all.

From advertisement:
When comfort, function and reliability are a top priority, you will call on the “Phantom” Semi-Dry Top! This jacket is fully breathable, windproof, waterproof, lightweight and rugged. The Phantom is at home whether you are boating, kayaking or fishing with your feet firmly planted on land.

* Ergonomic cut for freedom of motion.
* 3 Layer breathable material for waterproofing and wind proofing.
* Taped seams for sealing out water.
* Inner waterproof silicone latex cuff seals.
* Outer neoprene cuff gaskets with Velcro adjustments.
* Adjustable neoprene neck gasket for water resistance.
* Stow away hood with 3 cinch locks for adjustment of hood.
* Storm flap closures and visor to keep out the elements.
* Unique three way chest closure with water channel system.
* Water resistant left chest pocket with splash proof zipper.
* Cargo pocket on right chest with drain holes.
* Chest hand warmer.
* Double sided, stretch, hook & loop cumber bun for hip and waist closure.
* Skirt cinch lock downs.

Frankiesurf
11-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Aquaskinz Phantom?:2flip:

I bought one in the spring. Next day in Montauk I had wet arms. The shop owner graciously replaced it. Three months later arms are getting wetter and wetter through the seams. I write to AS and receive no reply. One more letter and still nothing. :2flip: Thank you AS for nothing.

seamonkey
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Monty, How much did you pay for your drytop?

Monty
11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
The phantom top was around 200 and the bayman around 110 (going by memory). I have not had the trouble Frankiesurf had (if I did I would not have bought the bayman). If I needed a new top and had some time, I would look on e-bay and look at the tops mentioned for kayaks (some good deals), but that is risky. Like Dark, I got nalied by a wave 3 weeks ago while wearing the phantom top and ended up 20 feet from where I was standing. Was still dry. I was surprised to hear AS did not stand behind their product. In this industry reputation goes a long way.

Jackbass
11-24-2009, 07:21 AM
I own an Immersion Research comp jacket full dry top Never let me down I bought it this spring for cheap money. It is a paddling jacket but the fabric is tough as nails and the gaskets are tight. I literally have gone under in it a few times and never sprang a leak. I am 6-2 250 pounds and I bought 2x it fits like it is tailored. I believe I paid 150 in their close out section. Thing is awesome.

Frankiesurf
11-24-2009, 05:07 PM
250? That's it? :)

Jackbass
11-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Maybe more now a days