PDA

View Full Version : My Consensus on wood,,,

Rip-Plugger
10-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello brothers & sisters that persue this thing of ours.

I always had the idea that larger swimmers will get the fish's attention MUCH better than ANY plug up to 6 inches or so.
personally,I LOVE slinging large plugs7,8,9 and 10 inchers and swim them on top.
mind you the plugs in question are my own as I like to use heavy wood. Poplar is my favorite,actually I would only consider another wood to build on for about .87 seconds then,it will still be poplar.

my reasoning in this is the FACT that when a plug sits still in the water it kinda floats high on the surface. when it is retrieved it waggs more and since it is not lower in the water,it does not MOVE as much water.

I build my larger stuff with the intention that it floats well but,sits low on the surface and when it's retrieved it actually pushes water up,over and to the side of it as it moves along. even though it is indeed heavier than most lures of the same size,it wants not to dive BUT ride up and over the top of the water,it's weight and the short lip are what keeps it wagging along and also keeps it riding the rips.

as I have mentioned before in a thread awhile back,I have the mind of an engineer and the soul of an artist.
I get inspired by many things that we see everyday. as for the lures I make I have adopted the design that one would use in a large ship.

the container ship is one that inspired me a lot. I build my lures with the similar shape of a ships hull. widest in the middle and narrower at each end.
I like giving the nose a semi-wide profile so it will create a bow wave which,adds to the movement of water.

I have had good success fishing right alongside other builders while no one else got any attention.
so,with that I must be doing it right.
Monty will be able to attest to this fact next week,I am sure he will be smiling wide.
So,anyone that has any ideas or thoughts about what I have posted,lets hear 'em,make this interesting K?
Now,I must take flight,,,,,

R-P/H-H

storminsteve
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I like big wood plugs, except when sand eels or smaller bait is around. Then I like to use metal and drag the bottom. I think big plugs have their place, and as you said, they will get the attention of a big fish.

Jackbass
10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I like big plugs also. I like making them, I like fishing them, I like throwing them. Sometimes they don't get the job done though. When the hatch is small and the meals are small. I will toss the smallest thing I have at hand.

At night it is generally large slow moving plugs. I will generally change over to smaller equipment during the daylight hours. Jerk Shads, tins, what-ever they want to eat.

Monty
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Here is one of Rip-Pluggers new pieces of wood.
Size counts in this case.
I am thinking with the Shad and Spike Weaks around this fished nice and slow may get some attention.
Great shape, I like the color contrast and this will cast very nice (around 4 oz.).

BassBuddah
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
It looks like a monster version of the orange and cream magdarters we were using last year. Great colors.:thumbsup:

Monty
10-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Big Wood..........:dribble:
Here is another that will see the water for the first time this Sunday AM (a little after midnight :cool:).
I have done good with smaller plugs of this design by R-P in this color. This one should poke its nose down and wag its butt on top. Made to go slow/steady is what it's built for.

Frankiesurf
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
How deep do those puppies go?

I really like R-P's paint schemes. Not your run of the mill but like Monty said they have great contrast.

Monty
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Size.............................................. ...:thumbsup:
I like the color on this plug. The reddish top and the grayish bottom. Gold glitter. Nice plug R-P!