PDA

View Full Version : what works better, pencils or bottles?

7deadlyplugs
10-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I seem to get better action on pencil poppers then bottle poppers. I thought maybe I was doing the retrieve incorrectly on the bottle poppers? Retrieving too slowly.

Monty
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I usually use pencils, but the weekend before last on sunday in the rough surf I was using a rod that could not work a pencil. So I threw the SS bottle popper and caught 3 bass up to around 27 inches. It was hard to work in the rough water, but I found on good casts over the bar if I got the line tight quick and got good solid pops on it and worked it slow, that's when I got the hits. Had to pop it good (get the fish attention) and work it slow. The faster retrieves/popping got no response. i

JakeF
10-06-2009, 09:37 AM
It all depends on the conditions I think. Both plugs are very effective during the day (and at night, too. Shhhhh) . Monty is right on, though. If I'm fishing rough surf where it's hard to keep the correct tension on the line to work a pencil properly, that's when the bottle popper really shines. Also, sometimes the fish, especially larger bass, seem to ignore a splashing pencil, but will friggen hammer a bottle popper when it's worked right.

Here's how I work em. Pick up the slack when you can, keep your rod tip down and to the side, and give it 2 or 3 good strong pops when it's on the back side of the wave and in the trough, then let it float for a while. Many times you'll get the strike just as you're thinking about popping it again. I know this to be true, as I've missed too many fish by not waiting quite long enough and pulling the plug right out of a fish's mouth on the first pop. Now I always try to twitch it a little to see if I can draw a strike before I give it the first strong pop. :thumbsup:

albiealert
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I like bottles for rough surf. I want to give the northbar bottle darters a try this year.

buckethead
04-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Jake thanks for the tips. I guess that is one of the problems I have. I pull it out of the mouth even before they get a good grip on it.

I'll change my retreive and let you know how I do.

fishinmission78
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I use pencils when the big girls are around on bunker, big pencils = big girls. For all around usefulness I like the bottles better. There's nothing like seeing a big bass or bluefish crash on one, miss it, come back, and inhale it.

speedy
04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
hi sir. if you dont mine asking what are northbar bottle darters never herd of them before

surfstix1963
04-27-2010, 04:47 AM
It is a combo between a bottle plug and darter they can be found made of wood the new ones are plastic they are made by Northbar Tackle Co. I have not fished them yet my friends son loves them and I really haven't heard anything bad about them.The plastic version is 7 1/4" long and 2 1/2 oz. they can be loaded with 10 cc's of water to acheive a 3 oz. plug. fishing technique for this plug is on their website.

surfstix1963
04-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Bottle plugs when the surf is up I don't fish pencils I will use a spook style plug for the side to side surface action instead better hookup ratio they often miss the pencils.

Simp
04-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Those Northbar bottle darters are very nice plugs. I have the one pictured as well as a couple more. The action these things have are incredible. Once they're out I'll reel in the slack and give it 2 or 3 good pulls so it "digs" in and then I'll keep tension on it while reeling slowly and giving it an occasional jerk.

When you feel the current pulling against the plug just keep tension and let the plug do the work. Many times, just after the wave current subsides, this is the time when it'll get crushed. Good luck!:thumbsup:

rockhopper
04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I like using the bottle plugs as well. I have had some pretty good action with them.

Hey Simp what's up. Good to see ya again.:HappyWave:

Simp
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Simp what's up. Good to see ya again.:HappyWave:

Not too much! Just waiting for it to blow wide open out front. Good seeing you as well! Catch 'em up!

hookset
01-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Pencils for daytime action.
Bottles for night and rough surf action, though you can catch bass by slowly swimming and popping pencils when herring are around.