PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from a bridge

hookedonbass
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Is fishing from a bridge considered tabu because it is considered a no brainer or because you should not gaff stripers if you are not going to keep them?

plugginpete
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
If fishing from bridges was taboo then everyone on the Ponquogue in the spring would be going to hell.;) My biggest issue is gaffing small stripers and throwing them back. They don't always live, so that's a shame. A bridge net is a lot better, but you see more people using the big treble line gaffs rather than the nets.

clamchucker
10-21-2009, 04:55 PM
We used to fish from bridges back before people talked about it on the internet. The only problem is you can only fit so many people on a bridge, and a lot of these folks don't have manners. They leave their garbage there when they are done.

cowherder
10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. There was a guy on the Highlands bridge on the way back from Sandy Hook. I asked him how the fishing was and he said slow. I would fish from a bridge if I knew how, but I think I like the sand better. It is a lot more peaceful, plus if you got a really huge fish, like a trophy, it seems like it would be difficult to land.

DarkSkies
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
. I asked him how the fishing was and he said slow.

Like Plugginppete said, I have reservations about bringing up a small bass from bridge fishing . Even if you use a bridge net, he's gonna be out of the water for a lot longer than he would be if you were on the sand or rocks. Some bass don't make it when they are thrown back. I'm not against keeping fish, I just can't stand wasting them.

When a guy fishin a bridge says it's slow, that to me says there are less fish available (if in fact he's tellin ya the truth) ;) Fish of all sizes congregate around the concrete and steel. Not always so easy to catch though. :D

buckethead
10-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Never could understand how someone could fish the bridges. Gaffing fish then throwing them back is not what I consider being a good fisherman.