PDA

View Full Version : NJ fishing reports for November 1-15, 2009

DarkSkies
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.

Some acronyms -

SH - Sandy Hook
NoMoCo - Northern Monmouth County (below the hook to Shark River Inlet SRI)
SoMoCo - Southern Monmouth County (below SRI to Manasquan Inlet)

OC - Ocean County
IBSP - Island Beach State Park
LBI - Long Beach Island

AC - Atlantic County
AI - Absecon Inlet
CISP - Corson's Inlet State Park
CMC - Cape May County
CMR - Cape May Rips
GEI - Great Egg Inlet
TI - Townsend's Inlet

RB - Raritan Bay
BB - Barnegat Bay
CB - Chesapeake Bay
CBBT - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
DB - Delaware Bay

clamchucker
11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Somoco this morning, 6 bass to 32" on the outgoing tide, most of the bass hit a sluggo teaser. The waves are laying down, it's fishable.

finchaser
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Had Killie join me in OC this AM from 5:30-9 south wind gone water laying down and the fish turned on the feed bag

I had 13 bass 27" to 33" all on metal and teaser including a double header of teen agers

Killie had the hot hand:clapping: over 25 bass all on metal and teaser

We dropped many more,all were released to fight another day.

There was nothing in the dark

The clammers got nothing

SharkHart
11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice work Fin, I was in OC too think i picked a bad spot, bass were popping pretty good 5-10 yards from max cast, a few wandered in and they were a good class of fish also but i only got one.

This could be the best fall in years devolping, the conditions are the only thing keeping this from epic, i cant remember the last time seeing this many 27-34"s for fall

Should be illegal to set up clam lines when bass are on sand eels :)

voyager35
11-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Trolled some deeper channels in RB from 5-10a today, incoming and outgoing. A mess of 10+ blues and 2 bass to 18. We trolled white shads. On the way back we found some birds, under them were small blues and bass. Had a good 15 minutes of surface action casting slim metals. They were on small bait.

storminsteve
11-01-2009, 03:10 PM

And I thought I did great with 7? Great catch killie! I fished in oc from 6-10. Managed 7 bass to 31" on a t-hex and sandeel teaser. This was great fishing, for once. I saw a lot of other guys hook up. The bite gradually petered out as the tide went out. Sandeels are there and the bass are eating them.:drool:

finchaser
11-01-2009, 07:23 PM
. Sandeels are there and the bass are eating them.:drool:

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I went back to the same place that for a week I've had at least 4 keepers per trip including 10 this AM and got the :skunk:no bait,or fish to be had. All the sand eels were gone. same results for 11 guy's I know that fished in the area:(

vpass
11-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I was out front fished for about 1 hour. I had to try. I'm back to work for a 1 1/2 weeks.:( I'm then on Vacation for another 3 Weeks.:D Can't wait.

LennyD
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Fished OC tonight, incoming 4-7pm. Only managed one fish by sundown 31" Bass,few taps here and there. As soon as the moon came out behind the clouds they stopped biting, my bud. Got 4 bass all short.

SharkHart
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
had a nice bite going after my dinner break 7-8pm on bombers, the dead north wind kept getting heavier couldnt cast or present too well, if a got off a good cast and it swam ok id get some hits, landed 5 to 29" missed a few more. not one took the teaser. before dark was slow, dropped one possible teener size fish on a needle. Few post above I talked trash on clammers so of course I see about 7 caught by 3 guys in a flurry before dark, so yeah maybe the sand eels pulled off some.

buckethead
11-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Went out yesterday morning got two short on metals in moco.

finchaser
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
This morning 5:30 to 7:30 am OC out front

I had 2 bass 10 and 15 pounds both on AVA 37 with bucktail hook

My partner of the day had 3 bass to 8 pounds on AVA 27 green tail

They are all alive and swimming

Dark Skies hope you caught something after I left had to go to work:)

DarkSkies
11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Sometimes, after you have been fishing for 50 years, you know where to find the "Red X". Other times, you may have been fishing for 50 years, have found the red x for 49 years, and have one year where you just can't find it no matter how hard ya try. :don't know why:

Is this a reflection on your skills as a fisherman? As I mentioned in other threads, absolutely not.

The bite this fall season had shifted from the day to the night, and from one town or county to another, sometimes overnight. It has also shifted from one where guys can count on artificials, to one where if they're not using bait, they get blanked. Guys are extremely frustrated when this happens. These things change from day to day. The biggest thing I noticed this fall is lack of a consistent pattern.

Everyone's amped up over the fact that x number of fish, of x size, were caught at x beach, So they think it's a safe bet to show up there tomorrow, when everyone gets blanked. :huh:

There are some patterns that have developed, but nothing that can be relied on. I'm fortunate enough to know some of them, and even that hasn't kept me from getting skunked.

Last night G and I fished for 14 hours. We weren't greatly successful at the fishin. We went from Gotham City to Sin City to test the bay and ocean fishing for ourselves. We hit so many new places I still don't have them all in my head. We wanted to prove the bay fishin was not dead, and it isn't. Using fresh bunker, we got a 36" monster eel and lost a small bass. However, pickins were slim in the bays in the 12 stops and 200 mile round trip we made.

We checked out some great new lighted areas that had bait, no fish, hit many inlets with live eels, fished key spots with bucktails and rubber, no action at all on the eels. The eels looked so good I wanted to eat one. Bass didn't. :D

The toughest thing was the building wind, which kept us looking for places with our backs to it. Juicy, choice places produced nothing except a few light and missed hits.

As first light came, we anticipated a great bite in the rough surf as we saw birds feeding a few casts off the beach.

A few guys did well this AM. Some like Fin, did exceptionally well. :clapping::thumbsup:

The surf was pounding, waves were 6-8' at times, strong rip current, strong L to R sweep, necessitating ava 37 or 47 as a minimum to stay in the strike zone.

It was incredible water, the kind they talk about in all the articles written about fall noreaster surf fishing. Unfortunately, many guys gave up after giving it their best. At each new place we stopped, guys were leaving, saying "Don't bother it's not worth it".

And for many it wasn't, except for the talented guys exactly on the red X. ;)
The bite was specific, if you were 2 miles away you missed it. We would have as well if it weren't for Fin, :thumbsup: and even then it was fantastic for only about 1/2 hour before we got there, and a slow pick after that.

Still, it was great fishin that whitewater, 3 rows of waves breaking at a time. :wow: I fished it until 8:30 when it started to rain, and 80% of the guys had left. I still believed fish were there. You could see the birds running along a line about 100 yards out where small bait was.

If you could cast 100 yards into 20mph winds and big relentless surf and keep your metal in the strike zone for more than 20 secs, you could have had hundreds of fish. Most guys were lucky to get one or 2 fish. I gave it my best shot but ended the morning bite empty handed.

What a difference a day makes. Those who killed them on Sun had nothing to show for it today. Some persistent guys, like Fin and others, caught some nice fish. That's fishin in the fall in NJ.

Being in all that white water felt like moshin in a Black Flag show. :banghead2:The reason for this long-winded report was to congratulate those who did catch, and remind others that this fall bite is very thin, sometimes location specific, and can change from day to day. If ya don't catch, it has less to do with your fishing ability, than whether you were on the red X or not.

So don't feel bad if your fishin sucked for a day, or a week. Just get out there and fish hard, I mean it when I say the run is more than half over.

We will still see some decent fish, but IMO the next 2 weeks will be the best of it. After that we'll probably have to be happy with 14-24" surf caught fish, with an occasional larger one. That bums me out, so now is the time, rain or shine.

There is no endless supply of bass. If you read beyond the fishing reports here, you might agree the fall runs are starting to feel the strain put on the bass.

The clock is ticking, catch em up. (and release with care if you can) :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Had Killie join me in OC this AM from 5:30-9 south wind gone water laying down and the fish turned on the feed bag

I had 13 bass 27" to 33" all on metal and teaser including a double header of teen agers

A lot of people don't know the Killie story here. He's a great guy, and it's kind of a tradition to say when he comes down the fishing will turn off. Yet on this day with Fin, he made the right decisions that allowed a bunch of fishermen to catch em up, and good. :thumbsup:

I'll let Fin tell the story if he wants, but for now will say that it wasn't like these guys just walked into fish. It took them a while that day to figure out the killer combo, and Killie was the guy who made the observations. :cool:

Great fishin, man, WTG! :clapping:

Monty
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Sunday morning fished NOMOCO from 5:30 to 10:00. Had decent fish on briefly, lost it, one other solid hit missed and landed 2 small fluke.
This morning ocean county, WHITE WATER, fished 6:00 to 10:00. Caught 8 stripers between 24" and 28 ". 7 on the rubber teaser One on the Ava 37. I love fishing in this stuff. Like dark said, you have to be in the spot where they are. My cousin got a 32" striper on chartreuse teaser and a 10 pound blue on an Ava.
Great time fishing these last two days, great looking fun to fish water.

Here is the surf.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZO_HXLq0JDg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZO_HXLq0JDg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is the teaser.

gjb1969
11-02-2009, 04:44 PM
a$$ mud and a dam big a$$ eel that was a trip i will soon not forget hey dark how is the finger i bet u wont do that again i am going to start work on the eyes on the rod i want to kill the buzzards luck so i am doing the work in a hour or so i need a bass this is killing me !!right place wrong time what is going with this carma hates my guts for some reason i guess i will just suck it up and just say my fishing is done till it get warm i cant buy a bass blue not evan junk fish its bin that way to long for me and its getting old fast :don't know why::beatin::burn::argue::2flip::moon::(:scared::s kunk:and more

fishinmission78
11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Very tough surf today. I fished 5-7, threw all my heaviest metal and bucktails. The north wind made it impossible not to have a bow in your line.:skunk:

DarkSkies
11-03-2009, 09:23 AM
a$$ mud and a dam big a$$ eel that was a trip i will soon not forget hey dark how is the finger i bet u wont do that again i am going to start work on the eyes on the rod i want to kill the buzzards luck so i am doing the work in a hour or so i need a bass this is killing me !!right place wrong time what is going with this carma hates my guts for some reason i guess i will just suck it up and just say my fishing is done till it get warm i cant buy a bass blue not evan junk fish its bin that way to long for me and its getting old fast :don't know why::beatin::burn::argue::2flip::moon::(:scared::s kunk:and more

Cmon man it ain't the end of the world. ;) Fishin definitely does suck this year compared to all the great years you guys had. Don't sell your gear yet, there are still some stank azz swamps we have to check out searchin for those toothy eels! What a goog I am. :ROFLMAO

Sunday morning fished NOMOCO from 5:30 to 10:00. Had decent fish on briefly, lost it, one other solid hit missed and landed 2 small fluke.
This morning ocean county, WHITE WATER, fished 6:00 to 10:00. Caught 8 stripers between 24" and 28 ". 7 on the rubber teaser One on the Ava 37. I love fishing in this stuff. Like dark said, you have to be in the spot where they are. My cousin got a 32" striper on chartreuse teaser and a 10 pound blue on an Ava.
Great time fishing these last two days, great looking fun to fish water.

Here is the surf.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZO_HXLq0JDg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZO_HXLq0JDg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is the teaser.

Great video and effort Monty. Not too many guys were willing to stick it out yesterday. (You left out the part about how you were so far into the surf you got knocked on your azz, but still got up and fished again to get those fish) :viking::wheeeee: Some of the guys were standing as far away from the big surf as possible, which made long casts all that more difficult. There were some fish in the wash, but even for them you needed big sideways casts to counter the wind and riptide. You're a little too modest sometimes, bro. ;)

There's something about a video. Pics are great, but a video brings it all to life, you can almost smell the ocean. That teaser is killer too. Thanks for posting it up.

cowherder
11-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Some of the guys were standing as far away from the big surf as possible, which made long casts all that more difficult. There were some fish in the wash, but even for them you needed big sideways casts to counter the wind and riptide. You're a little too modest sometimes, bro. ;)

Hey Dark I'm one of those "right at the edge" guys. I have waders but have to confess when the waves look like they're going to crash on you big time, I back down like a little girl!:scared: Some of us have to make it back to our families when we are done, so we can't get washed away. Those side to side currents are strong, and I'm not real great at dealing with them. Please don't make too much fun of us.:HappyWave:

Finchaser and Monty, great catches! Somoco from 5-7:15am. The waves were pretty frequent but the wind wasn't that bad. I got 2 bass to 26" on a Ava27 jig with a red tube at the end. Monty that's a nice video of the surf. May I ask you about that red teaser, it looks like those herring or mackerel tubes. Where do you buy them?

finchaser
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Killie great guy but known to shut down any blitz or turn weather really bad on his arrival. An example last year in the middle of a 8 hour blitz, I give him a heads up as he lives 1 1/2 from here. He arrives gets out of truck steps on to beach and all goes dead.
He surprised me and 15 of my close friends this AM. No one caught a fish my first :skunk: along with others in 7 days. General comment was if they knew he was coming they would have stayed in bed. If looks could kill I wouldn't be making this post.

These back to back Northeasters :2flip:and the people who pray for them :don't know why:. No bait ,fish or birds.

These storms had the major schools in 70' of water last week now there gone too.

chas527
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
fished moco this morning rough water hugh waves.not much beach got 1 short and acouple of good hits.icoun't beleive i was the only one there. what's going on at monmouth beach they had the parking lot closed.

voyager35
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Chas, they are taking the dredge material from the Shrewsbury and pumping it under the street and seawall to the beach. Lose any lead in the Shrewsbury? Now is the time to get it back.

clamchucker
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
6-8am, Ocean county. Things semed a little slow today. Using a 3 oz t-hex I managed one bass 22". For anyone going to Island Beach, they were not allowing access around high tide this morning. The water comes right up to the dunes in some places.

Monty
11-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Fished ocean county this morning 5:30-9:30 (same area as yesterday). Still lots of white water, some big waves. Nothing till around 9:00. Found some water as the tide was residing that looked real good. Managed to get two bass around 25 inches from the area. Caught on the rubber teaser. Used the JRod 4 oz metal to deliver the teaser (they go deeeep). Fun morning fishing some good looking water.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZN25HIba_5w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZN25HIba_5w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LennyD
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
SOMOCO this evening, 1 short by sunset,after that nada

basshunter
11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Went to LBI last night at the last minute. I just happend to have my pole in the car with a few darters. I should have left them in there. :skunk:

vpass
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I Fished yesterday after work. caught nothing. The surf was stained brown. I was thinking maybe they started dredging and dumping the the dreged material on to Monmouth beach, which stained the water in the area.

Went to the back and fished sluggo, caught nothing. Fished until the wind started blowing hard North. I had a big bow in the line from the wind. I May try again later.

c4charlie
11-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Decided to go fishing last night pretending that the full moon would not have a big effect. Stayed out way too late trying to get a fish in 4 different locations miles and miles apart. From the beach and also on the jetties. The only action was a bump in close by the jetty in this specific spot. Wasted a bunch of time there. Went back again before leaving the rockpile and another tap. This time, the tail of my new weighted vision eel was gone. That leads me to conclude I wasted a bunch of time trying to catch a blackfish on a lure. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif I am never fishing a full moon without clouds again, just not worth it. Tons of white water and no bass.

finchaser
11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Decided to go fishing last night pretending that the full moon would not have a big effect. Stayed out way too late trying to get a fish in 4 different locations miles and miles apart. From the beach and also on the jetties. The only action was a bump in close by the jetty in this specific spot. Wasted a bunch of time there. Went back again before leaving the rockpile and another tap. This time, the tail of my new weighted vision eel was gone. That leads me to conclude I wasted a bunch of time trying to catch a blackfish on a lure. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif I am never fishing a full moon without clouds again, just not worth it. Tons of white water and no bass.

Fish are primarily on days now like every fall:D This morning provided near blitz conditions in many area's at first light with out white water. Northeasters and white water are over rated this time of year eventually that is learned.

DarkSkies
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
The only action was a bump in close by the jetty in this specific spot. ... This time, the tail of my new weighted vision eel was gone. That leads me to conclude I wasted a bunch of time trying to catch a blackfish on a lure. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/redface.gif I am never fishing a full moon without clouds again, just not worth it. Tons of white water and no bass.

Hey at least it was something. Bet that blackfish was over 6#. It definitely got ya pumped enough to waste another hour out there instead of packin it in for the night like ya should have. ;)

I couldn't call it a night either, 7 1/2 hours and I can't even claim to have gotten a hit or a bump. :embarassed: Fishin on the bottom, jigs, bucks, mid-water column presentations as well.

The water was too perfect NOT to be out there. Wind was light and variable, it wasn't even a bit cold, and the waves and swell were awesome as they broke. Fished sand, and then back on the rocks. It seemed you could present on them a little better than on the sand beaches.

When you're out there, no fish for the night, and you convince yourself there is that one fish in the next pocket, hole, or rockpile, you know it's an addiction. :kooky: But that's how bigger fish are caught, they're loners, and once you get you understand the highways they travel, you want to visit those roads as often as you can.

So whether we get skunked or not, being out there fills a powerful inner need, at least it does for me.

Those vision sandeels were working for quite a few guys this morning. I think red tube teasers, big fin-s, big zooms, sluggos or hogys work just as well, but today the visions were a killer presentation, pick up a pack at your local shop. :thumbsup:

It's now back to a day bite, at least for today. :lookhappy:

DarkSkies
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Northeasters and white water are over rated this time of year eventually that is learned.

Would you also say Killie's ability to shut down the bite is over-rated, now that he's racking up those decent numbers? ;)

DarkSkies
11-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Fished ocean county this morning 5:30-9:30 (same area as yesterday). Still lots of white water, some big waves. Nothing till around 9:00. Found some water as the tide was residing that looked real good. Managed to get two bass around 25 inches from the area. Caught on the rubber teaser. Used the JRod 4 oz metal to deliver the teaser (they go deeeep). Fun morning fishing some good looking water.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZN25HIba_5w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="alway s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZN25HIba_5w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You're getting good with those videos, Monty. Your hand's a lot steadier than mine. :plastered: ;) As I said, pictures tell a story as well, but when I see a good video I want to jump in there! :fishing:

storminsteve
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Mid ocean county. 6-9am. 5 bass on a 2 oz t-hex thin spearing caster. Great fun, the biggest was only 26", but they were fat.

SharkHart
11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
No report sorry...but Fin I couldnt agree more about NE ster and white water not needed, tackle shops have guys trained to believe this, so they can sell them clams and say hey get some lures while you soak a clam. A guy said to me for monday he saw Beautiful water but he got skunked, beautiful is a bass splashing around in the water. Having said all that thursday into Friday :dribble:

fishinmission78
11-04-2009, 02:31 PM
A guy said to me for monday he saw Beautiful water but he got skunked, beautiful is a bass splashing around in the water. Having said all that thursday into Friday :dribble:

Beautiful is a keeper 28-32" in the cooler. All the rest is fluff. Got 6 small ones this morning on ava with a red tail. Only one hit the teaser. 7-9:30am.

clamchucker
11-04-2009, 06:30 PM
An old man's feet and shoulders are tired today. I started in the morning in Monmouth county, 4 bass to 26" on an A27 diamond jig. There was a lot of birdplay offshore, but they never came in. The action was good until one hour after high tide after which it petered out. I took an early lunch break and went back out at the bottom of the outgoing. I found them in Monmouth county again, bass mixed with blues up to 11lbs. 6 bluefish and 9 more bass. Most bass were 25-27". 2 were 32-34". All on metal. They were feeding on peanut bunker.

finchaser
11-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Would you also say Killie's ability to shut down the bite is over-rated, now that he's racking up those decent numbers? ;)

He was here yesterday and Nada things are back to normal even, as for Sunday a blind squirrel finds a peanut from time to time

finchaser
11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Sea's laid down today bait back fish followed,nothing like the second day after a northeast blow in the fall. Most of my friends had a day like Clamchucker:clapping::clapping: .

I got out this afternoon after work 3:30 to 6:00 and scored 11 bass to 34" most were 29 to 31" all on AVA 17 with Burgundy tail. Fish turned off as soon as it got dark all were released

Monty
11-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Great report, peanut bunker, nice.

An old man's feet and shoulders are tired today. I started in the morning in Monmouth county, 4 bass to 26" on an A27 diamond jig. There was a lot of birdplay offshore, but they never came in. The action was good until one hour after high tide after which it petered out. I took an early lunch break and went back out at the bottom of the outgoing. I found them in Monmouth county again, bass mixed with blues up to 11lbs. 6 bluefish and 9 more bass. Most bass were 25-27". 2 were 32-34". All on metal. They were feeding on peanut bunker.

killie
11-04-2009, 08:30 PM
:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-05-2009, 07:55 AM

He was here yesterday and Nada things are back to normal even, as for Sunday a blind squirrel finds a peanut from time to time

:wow: Ouch that's cold! I know you were just kiddin there. :laugh: Talked to him yesterday and he has nothin but praise for you. He did help you sharpies to figure out the pattern that day, though. ;) When people hear someone caught 25 bass, they might assume it was easy, like shootin fish in a barrel. But that day he had the hot hand was tough, not everyone near you guys was into fish. :thumbsup:

fishjay
11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
fished north and south and c aught 4 bass 24 to 26" on ava's and teasers.

DarkSkies
11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
^ OFFC back in the house! Glad to hear you're not sellin your gear on e-bay yet! :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-05-2009, 09:07 AM

Great report, Clamchucker, sounds like a fantastic day. :HappyWave:

finchaser
11-05-2009, 10:15 AM
For me today 6-7:30 am 9 bass to 32" all on metal and teaser

finchaser
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
[quote=DarkSkies;25830]:wow: Ouch that's cold! I know you were just kiddin there. :laugh:

Of coarse Killie is one of my closest friends ;) talk to him at least once a day.

cowherder
11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
PB striper day yesterday 8 bass in Nomoco, 3-6pm! Not one was a keeper, but they were all fat. They looked like footballs. 24-27", I wonder if they all travel together in schools of the same size? I got most of the bass on a ava27 with a red teaser, with a stop and go retrieve. I just got a bunch of the redgills too and I really like them. I also got 2 near dark on a smak-itt popper, and 3 bluefish on that plug as well. Thanks fellas for all the tips and hints. It was a great feeling to catch those stripers! :bigeyes: :fishing:

storminsteve
11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the pb, cowherder. :thumbsup: Hit the ibsp area early, 3:45-7am. I got one bass in the dark on a black bomber, and 4 more after sunrise on a 2 oz t hex with yellow teaser. All bass were around 26" or less and fat.

VSdreams
11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Ocean co 3-7pm, 4 phat bass on an ava with green tail, one on a schoolbus bomber as it got dark. Fish only started hitting as it got close to sundown, 22-25".

SharkHart
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
whacked them pretty good tonight dusk to 8pm, OC, metal, needles, bombers and teasers, 26 to 31" lots of hookups for all out there:plastered:

captnemo
11-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Good mix of bass and bluefish today in Ocean, blues to 12# and bass to 17#. We trolled the new sandeel umbrellas until the blues tore them up, and then stretch 25s. Water was calm and clean.

albanyguy1
11-05-2009, 11:08 PM
first fishing report post:

I made the long trip down from albany tues night. fished SH without success. moved down to OC for the morning bite and managed 4 stripers 20-28" on vision eels. it shut down pretty quickly once the sun was up, but hooked and landed a BIG bluefish that hit a chartreuse teaser. Wished I could've stayed for the Wed nite bite, but its a long drive home.

lots of people catching in the morning,with Ava's seeming to be the lure of choice.

shout out to dark skies! thanks!

c4charlie
11-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Got down about 9:30 after moon had risen. Thought there would be a bit more cloud cover. 1st cast with my newly replaced silver mag darter, 27" bass. Then I spent another half hour or so trying to break the first cast curse under bright skies. Finally, the weighted vision sand eel was the ticket for 2 more bass 24"/26". Broke my skunk streak from the other night. Did get 3 taps so score was 3 to 3 when I left but could not get a 4th tap or fish to see who would get the better of the Man vs Fish contest. Winds kicked up 5 notches about 15min before I left at 11:30.

SharkHart
11-06-2009, 02:12 AM
just nailed 20 more in S MONCO I started mid outgoing on they were stacked thick as ever, until the tide took themt far out, I switchd from plugsto metal just to keep reaching them as they slowy went out, 2 looked about 32" many keeper sized and i had a good fish snap my leader :(

Monty
11-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Fished Thursday morning NOMOC, first spot spent to lomg there. One small group of birds, bait and fish went past too far out to reach. Moved further north and had to leave (ran out of time), as a big group of birds, bait and fish was moving close. Skunked.

finchaser
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Northwest comes through

This morning 6 to 9am

6 bass to 32" then the blues took over 6# to 12# blues ended the bass bite, but we caught blues until the tide quit running too many too count.

SharkHart
11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
maybe the best day I ever saw, sounds like some spots got taken over by blues, My hole stayed thick with Bass in several waves to 10 30, at times every cast, I didnt count but i had to be around 35 bass or better and about 15 blues. Bass doubles, bass blue combos Mosly 26-29" but i did pluck two out 31-32"

yardvillejimmy
11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Fished OC late afternoon with OFFC. One hour blitz with bass and blues. :HappyWave:

yukon
11-06-2009, 08:54 PM
So unable to get out early enough or stay late (family duties) I knew I wasn't gonna put up numbers like 30 or 60 fish like some of you guys:drool: Which by the way is awesome. Congrats on some great reports.

Got to the water in NoMoCo at 11:00 with some clams to start the day. Wind was howlin. :skunk:

Then I took the drive south which I think I should have done first but I did that yesterday with only one blue to show for it so I started checking out the normal spots and then finally I found a nice blitz within casting distance. Only a few guys around. Ended up getting 2 keepers and two just under. Got them all on Ava green. I was throwin a Ava yellow for awhile and I couldn't buy a hit then switched to green first cast fish on...:don't know why: No teaser needed.

This all happened at low tide. Also I didnt catch any fish in the main part of the blitz. Just wasn't in the right spot. A good 15 min afterward and all the birds were gone I got them. So as everyone watches waiting for the fish to walk out of the water and hook themselves remember there are still fish around and you need to make a cast to catch a fish.

And this was all on a new reel I picked up... Shimano Sustain 8000FE. I had a T-Hex and Ava going a freakin' mile and even a vision eel had good distance. Awesome setup... Can't wait to really see how good the drag is with something bigger...

I'm away for a week (damn work) so have fun and try to leave some striped ones for me:HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Fished OC late afternoon with OFFC. One hour blitz with bass and blues. :HappyWave:

Boy you really know how to tell a story. :rolleyes: What about the 17# bluefish, that's worth honorable mention right there. :bigeyes: I'm joining the OFFC, how much are the dues? ;) :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
11-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Also I didnt catch any fish in the main part of the blitz. Just wasn't in the right spot. A good 15 min afterward and all the birds were gone I got them. So as everyone watches waiting for the fish to walk out of the water and hook themselves remember there are still fish around and you need to make a cast to catch a fish.

Wise observation, man. :thumbsup: You can't catch fish by looking at the water from the parking lot. Glad you got some.

DarkSkies
11-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Report to follow on Monday. ;) :wow: :plastered: :fishing:

basshunter
11-07-2009, 08:08 AM
OC at first light I came up with a few bumps and two shorts.

surferman
11-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Fished SH last night caught two blues on a storm shad.

surfwalker
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
5am-9:30am. Cool, water a little off color. Rollers in close. Metals, plugs and teasers were ignored, no Stripes. Snagged sand eels with Ava's. Regulars reported not a tap on anything thrown. Bait guys got skates.

vpass
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Last night in OC, from sundown to 2am. 5 Bass all between 26 to 27 inches. 3 on bomber, and 2 on teasers. Had a nice strike from a large fish on sluggo. I wish I hooked it.:drool:

DarkSkies
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Finchaser schools everyone!
Killie debunks the poor fishing theory!
Effumall club VP in the lead at beach hotspot!
Full moon fishing theories debunked.

Report to follow Monday. ;) :fishing:

finchaser
11-07-2009, 09:32 PM
7 bass this AM to 30" too many blue fish to count

Oh yes Killie brings the south wind:scared:
He leaves back to the west

LennyD
11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
oc last night, 1 keeper and 1 lost (keeper)
after the moon came up fish shut down.

jigfreak
11-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Somoco 6-9:30pm, 3 bass on clams, one keeper 30".

SharkHart
11-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Good meeting and fishing with the members saturday am, 6 hours of sleep in 2 days and potato like hands I had to give myself a 36 hour medical suspension. Good but quick bass action this am, found got some good sized bass on big bait in the back got one lost one in high teens

they ripped the eyes and paint right off this needle thursday night
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/needle.jpg

sat am double
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/bassdouble.jpg

plugaholic
11-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Landed two shorts on needle fish in OC last night. Stayed on for another hour but nothing else.

Monty
11-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Fished NOMOC this morning. Thinking saw shad feeding on sand eels. Birds a distance off shore, ended up with a skunk. A couple bumps in the dark. Did hook up with an ava 17 on a long cast. Lost the fish in the wash, was my largest of the fall. Saw 1 fish caught and released. Nice sunrise, great morning to fish.

killie
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Fished with Rich yesterday in some beautiful surf with the howling wind. It was one of them times you'll remember it was that nice. :)

killie
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
oh I also caught a couple of fish :D

DarkSkies
11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Slower spotty fishing today
Decent morning bite, spiraling to a halt in most places except for a few.
NJ on the verge of becoming the new mecca of larger fish for the fall of 2009. (Even though there are less fish around) ;)
Take your kids fishin in the Inlets, Hickory shad are building up!! :wow:

Full report to follow on Mon. :fishing:

killie
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
get some sleep :)

DarkSkies
11-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Fished with Rich yesterday in some beautiful surf with the howling wind. It was one of them times you'll remember it was that nice. :)

It was "nice" enough with the building S wind, 6-8' waves, and sideways swell that almost knocked us on our azzes a few times as we fished past the bar, and caused the "yellow-jacket" Philly fishermen who mugged us (my other friend coined this term not me :D) to leave after fishin only 15 minutes.

Further, Killie, who doesn't spend much time fishin the surf, had the surfcaster's sense to recognize with the building S wind and waves it would be strategically advantangeous to be on the bar at the R side of the pocket, enabling us to cast into the pocket and stay in the strike zone longer. :thumbsup:

Further, Killie who deciphered that even though bass were hitting on the green tailed avas for the days before, decided they wanted a red tail, and proved his theory by nailing that bass.

oh I also caught a couple of fish :D

Further, Killie was the ONLY one on that now famous :( "NJ mecca" beach who got ANY fish yesterday afternoon. It was worse than a slow pick, it was dismal.

I had a great time fishin with Killie for only the 2nd time. He's a great guy, good fishin partner, and full of funny stories for when the fishin is slow. :thumbsup:

There's a reason he's VP of the Effumall club, cause he can now say "Eff-u-all" to all those crusty crabby cantankerous sharpies (say THAT 5X fast!) who BB him all the time. :ROFLMAO :HappyWave:

(All of the above stuff is true except the part about him bein a great guy, he paid me $10 to say that ;) )

WTG man, ya done good. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-08-2009, 07:38 PM
get some sleep :)

I'm fishin tonight, even though Fin said probably there are no fish in close. :burn: He's probably right, but I gotta give it one more shot before the new week starts!

killie
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
It was "nice" enough with the building S wind, 6-8' waves, and sideways swell that almost knocked us on our azzes a few times as we fished past the bar, and caused the "yellow-jacket" Philly fishermen who mugged us (my other friend coined this term not me :D) to leave after fishin only 15 minutes.
:thumbsup:

I nearly got knocked down a few times. :wheeeee: I took a couple that hit me square in the chest :eek: great stuff!

skinner
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Came up blank in NOMOCO this morning. As monty said the sunrise was nice.

cowherder
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I went to moco and fished 6-9am today. I got one blue using a ava17 and a redgil teaser. I got another hard hit but it got off. There were areas of fish breaking far out, but they were too far to reach. One guy about 50' from me got a bass, and most of the other catches were small bluefish. It was a perfect day to fish but it did not seem like they were very cooperative.

buckethead
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
NoMoCo fished 11-2:30 am. Came upon some fish right before I started to head back home. Got 3 shorts 24 to 27"

c4charlie
11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Fished from 10pm-4am. Found a slow pick of fish early in areas I usually do not fish. At my fifth spot at 2am, I finally found a nice school of fish. Had action on every cast for about an hour or so, then they got picky. Lost count of how many but I was in the teens. Fish were nice and fat from 25-30" with only 2 keepers. Don't want to tell you how many taps I got and misses on the hookup. Definitely more than the fish I caught. :embarassed: Mag Darter and Bombers. Good Night. I am beginning to wonder if it is my lures that are causing me to usually get small 30" or less bass.

finchaser
11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
It's not your lures it's fall in NJ

chas527
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM
fished sandy hook this morning with clams nothing . saw some birds working early but to far out.

DarkSkies
11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Fished from 10pm-4am. Found a slow pick of fish early in areas I usually do not fish. At my fifth spot at 2am, I finally found a nice school of fish. Had action on every cast for about an hour or so, then they got picky. Lost count of how many but I was in the teens. Fish were nice and fat from 25-30" with only 2 keepers. Don't want to tell you how many taps I got and misses on the hookup. Definitely more than the fish I caught. :embarassed: Mag Darter and Bombers. Good Night. I am beginning to wonder if it is my lures that are causing me to usually get small 30" or less bass.

Do you say a prayer to King Neptune every time before you walk out into the surf? Maybe that's your answer there. :laugh: (or sharper hooks, OR being in the wrong county!!! ;))

I missed a lot on Fri night too, which makes me think there are 2 strains of striped bass in the water now, the "Kamikaze!" strain and the "committment phobic" strain that decides to smash it right as you lift the plug out of the water, and misses. :don't know why:

Seriously, you racked your brain, and remembered the pattern, nice work. Ya did better than 95% of the guys out there last night, it was slooooooow,WTG. :thumbsup:

DarkSkies
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
:( It's like I was addicted to crack this weekend, and am now slowly coming back to the realities of life. ;)

Slow pick last night, and for part of today. Hit the usual spots that had worked in OC but it was like a desert. On top of that, an eerie fog rolled in. :scared: It was actually kinda cool, the wind was very mild, the surface of the ocean was like glass, except the rollers that came through every 5-8secs. :burn: Lots of kidney punches from those as the tide came in and pushed me back from the bar.

I managed nothing, so I made a move to IBSP. Walked into the park, met a few cool people. Some guys had a pick on clams. Then I ran into J, who seemed like a fellow fanatic. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

He was fishin loaded bombers that he did himself, and had nailed a few before it slowed down. Based on that info, I pulled out an x-rap and worked the sweep. 45 minutes later I had a small bass.

The bite just didn't seem strong, so I made another move. Fished that place hard. It was spooky because there was no one around, it was like a ghost town.

Started winding down, so I grabbed some zs in the van, up for the sunrise bite. It was quick where I was, blink and ya missed it, maybe 30 mins. I got one bass on a small ava with green tail.

Ran into another friend, BS'ed for awhile. Since it was so slow, and low tide, I made my way back N by taking a notepad and marking the locations of the holes I hadn't visited in a while. I would encourage all guys who want to increase hook-ups to do this. It's part of the natural work you want to do to learn the area you're casting into at night.

Also worth mentioning is that I saw several very small pods of peanuts in a few places, being harassed by small bluefish, but nothing of any size or stability.

Made my way N, hit the end of a very sloooow bluefish pick, it was like I needed one more piece of that striper crack, no deal! One small bluefish on the Ava.

I did experiment by making this drail-type teaser bottom dragger rig I heard about from the sharpies, ;) but it didn't work for me today.

Stopped at a moco place as the wind started to build from the S. I figured that building intensity would push the bait southward into that moco pocket, but I guessed wrong. :don't know why:

Today was a tough day to fish, congrats to anyone who even caught 1. :thumbsup:

(Finchaser said last night should be a bust. I tried to prove him wrong. ;) He was right, conditions were not optimal. )

skinner
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Great Report Dark! Some of my favorite times of fishing is when no one else is around.

I went out early this morning and caught one bass 30", black bomber, right at false dawn.

vpass
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Fished after work for 2 hours in SH. No hits out front. I fished the back and there was some small bait around. I got :skunk:

GeoffT
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Trust me, there were quite a few spots that weren't busts yesterday morning, last night and this morning too. :HappyWave:

My hands are looking like they've been laying bricks. :eek::D

SharkHart
11-10-2009, 02:33 AM
last 2 hours of incoming I mixed it up and headed into monco for some new senery but it still looked dark out, found a bite which was good for 10 bass, but they were a smaller class of fish then i have been seeing in ocean county, mostly schoolies. Red gills at high speeds have been hot for me. Plugs werent getting it done. lost all my power pro trying to cast mag darter in that coss wind. Not bad bite for south winds

DarkSkies
11-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Trust me, there were quite a few spots that weren't busts yesterday morning, last night and this morning too. :HappyWave:

My hands are looking like they've been laying bricks. :eek::D

Hey Geoff, how ya been! :HappyWave: Glad ya got into some good ones, WTG! I know people who were there too. Out of about 70 miles of shoreline, those fish at the time you were fishing, were concentrated in a mile or 2 of beaches in 3 locations worth talking about. IMO a very site-specific bite.

:huh: I don't see how that helps the new person who wants to catch fish though. Guy reads your report, and he might think he's got a shot at catchin them based on how positive it sounds. And an even better chance, seeing as to how descriptive ya were, explaining HOW ya caught them. ;) :HappyWave: And not knowing that he wouldn't have much of a chance at larger numbers, unless he got a phone call or text. :rolleyes:

It's my opinion that the fishing was gradually declining for a quite a few strategic fish-producing areas, because I visited those areas and interviewed the guys who go out every day or night, without the benefit of intel. I have been proven wrong time and time again, though. :D

I feel surf fishing was epic from Wed into Sat, and then gradually wound down, in terms of bigger fish and numbers, except for a few specific locations rich in sandeels and peanuts or were surrounded by concrete and steel. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and different ones are what make this world a great place. :thumbsup:

So thanks for the descriptive, :laugh: helpful report, and I'm happy ya got into them. Glad to see you are now fishin instead of watchin TV, bro. ;)

On a side note, bigger fish are coming down the pike. I got a report and pic yesterday of friends in boats catching bass up to 44" a little north of here, eels in a channel. I hope we get a chance at at least some of those fish, they're probably a few days away from being caught here. Only time will tell....

storminsteve
11-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Fished ocean county 5-7am. Around sunrise a big ball of sand eels was in the shallow water, they were bunched up close. I casted into them as they started getting attacked. One small fat striped bass 24" and one bluefish around 28" using a 1oz t hex. It was over in about 10 minutes. The sand eels moved north and further out and kind of fell apart. The fish stopped biting as it got lighter out.

c4charlie
11-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Do you say a prayer to King Neptune every time before you walk out into the surf? Maybe that's your answer there. :laugh: (or sharper hooks, OR being in the wrong county!!! ;))

I will go with Finchaser reply on this one that it is NJ in the fall, makes me feel better. My bigger fish last year were actually in Dec, believe it or not.

Maybe you should start following your counter-intuition. :D :laugh: ;) My strategy is just to go to where the fish aren't in the daytime and it has been working lately. (keeping my fingers crossed)

I'll be out 'catching'... I mean fishing tonight!:)

GeoffT
11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey Geoff, how ya been! :HappyWave: Glad ya got into some good ones, WTG! I know people who were there too. Out of about 70 miles of shoreline, those fish at the time you were fishing, were concentrated in a mile or 2 of beaches in 3 locations worth talking about. IMO a very site-specific bite.

:huh: I don't see how that helps the new person who wants to catch fish though. Guy reads your report, and he might think he's got a shot at catchin them based on how positive it sounds. And an even better chance, seeing as to how descriptive ya were, explaining HOW ya caught them. ;) :HappyWave: And not knowing that he wouldn't have much of a chance at larger numbers, unless he got a phone call or text. :rolleyes:

It's my opinion that the fishing was gradually declining for a quite a few strategic fish-producing areas, because I visited those areas and interviewed the guys who go out every day or night, without the benefit of intel. I have been proven wrong time and time again, though. :D

I feel surf fishing was epic from Wed into Sat, and then gradually wound down, in terms of bigger fish and numbers, except for a few specific locations rich in sandeels and peanuts or were surrounded by concrete and steel. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and different ones are what make this world a great place. :thumbsup:

So thanks for the descriptive, :laugh: helpful report, and I'm happy ya got into them. Glad to see you are now fishin instead of watchin TV, bro. ;)

On a side note, bigger fish are coming down the pike. I got a report and pic yesterday of friends in boats catching bass up to 44" a little north of here, eels in a channel. I hope we get a chance at at least some of those fish, they're probably a few days away from being caught here. Only time will tell....

Noted my friend. I'm just here to be a cheerleader. :HappyWave::D

But since you insisted: Ocean County. Needles, magdarters, Vision sandeel. With a 6" sluggo as a teaser, blue over white or black over red. Chartruese fly and 4" Tsunami minnows (to mimic rainfish that were mixed in with the sandeels especially during the false dawn blitzes) worked well as a teaser also. Just kept walking to each point on the beach with a big hole until I found one holding bass. Then it was game on.

captnemo
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Great day Monday just inside the 3 mile limit. We limited out with porgies and seabass up to 3lbs in 120' off Manasquan. The best action was 10-1pm before the wind started to blow. We marked some nice fish, bass or blues, in 60'. We also saw a few bluefin tuna breaking water, they were on sandeels. Incredible sight.

fishinmission78
11-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Fished the park 4:30-6:45 am, incoming tide. 2 bass to 27", one 31", loaded redfin.

basshunter
11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
From 10 - 2pm Tues I was in ocean county. Had several bumps. My luck changed a little while later. Caught one at 29" on a magdarter with a teaser.:)

DarkSkies
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Noted my friend. I'm just here to be a cheerleader. :HappyWave::D

But since you insisted: Ocean County. Needles, magdarters, Vision sandeel. With a 6" sluggo as a teaser, blue over white or black over red. Chartruese fly and 4" Tsunami minnows (to mimic rainfish that were mixed in with the sandeels especially during the false dawn blitzes) worked well as a teaser also. Just kept walking to each point on the beach with a big hole until I found one holding bass. Then it was game on.

Short, simple, to the point, containing all the pertinent details anyone who is going out fishin would want to know. :thumbsup: And yet you managed to do it with 90% less words than I use and still remain descriptive. :o :laugh: Good report man, WTG. :HappyWave:

c4charlie
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Was out last night with a friend who is a fly fishermen that has never tried plugging. We're going fly fishing this weekend to catch some steelhead which is going to be my first time ever. I was determined to get his first fish ever on a plug. Hooked him up with some gear and choice lures and described a few techniques.

I knew right away that it was not going to be the banner night that I had hoped for because that wind made conditions a bit difficult to present correctly and the fish were not present in any numbers.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/graemlins/clapping.gif Success came at spot #2 when my friend got hooked up with a 24" or so striper on a black bomber. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/beers.gif That already made my night because I knew it was going to be tough since I did not see anyone hooking up and fish were hard to come by.

3rd spot of the night produced a very fat 27" striper for me on a mag darter.http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/wink.gif

Two proud fishermen walked off the beach for different reasons. He was happy he got one on a plug and I was happy that I was able to give some advice and help my friend get his first fish plugging.http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/highfive.gif

Then we chatted about the upcoming steelhead trip this weekend and I am now more pumped up than ever. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Best part about it is that I am not going to miss a damn thing here in the NJ surf. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/tongue.gif

DarkSkies
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I knew right away that it was not going to be the banner night that I had hoped for because that wind made conditions a bit difficult to present correctly and the fish were not present in any numbers.

Yup, that about sums up my night as well. I started later than you guys did. I had the fortune of knowing where bait had been stacked up in the day, but as I fished MoCo from 10:30-12:30am, it became apparent it would be difficult. The building N/NE wind pushed that bait offshore, it was nowhere to be found. And made it difficult to present right.

The surf wasn't that bad on the incoming though, and it felt pretty warm out. The ocean was pretty flat past the breakers. It was a comfortable night to fish. :fishing:

Started with magdarter, but couldn't get it out. Magnum bomber didn't work for me either. Then I went through a few other things, small and big needlefish, and decided with the building wind to throw a big wood darter, and then a bucktail in search of bigger fish on the bottom. Nothing on any of those.

Made a few close moves to different spots within the area. Decided to put the big 12" needle with bucktail siwash on, and got a weak hit on that, out far.

This got me pumped for awhile. Felt like I could actually find another fish to stick, but it was not to be. :skunk: for me.

Hey, that's fishin!

Two proud fishermen walked off the beach for different reasons. He was happy he got one on a plug and I was happy that I was able to give some advice and help my friend get his first fish plugging.http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/highfive.gif

Then we chatted about the upcoming steelhead trip this weekend and I am now more pumped up than ever. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Best part about it is that I am not going to miss a damn thing here in the NJ surf. http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Congrats on getting your friend a fish, WTG! As for not missing a bite in NJ, I don't know about that.

I talked to my insane Weatherman Freak buddy last night. He swears a bass bite, other than the dawn and dusk bites, should develop somewhere around Friday because of the pressure change forecast. If that forecast holds, things could be like they were last week. :bigeyes::viking:

I'll try to put in a prayer to King Neptune to ask him to hold off the bite until ya get back, but I don't know if I have any cred with the King this week. :laugh:

Good luck with the steelies, catch em up! We'll save a fish or 2 for when ya get back. ;)

c4charlie
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
If marine forecast is correct, it will be tough fishing for sure. I hope you guys get them. I have had my fair share this fall already and the run hasn't even started yet! ;)

GeoffT
11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I really hope this noreaster doesn't end the surf season. But it's not looking good. In fact it could be very bad, forecasting to blow 35 mph with gusts to 50 through Friday. :scared::kooky:

This could push fish still coming down from the northeast way offshore right past us. :(

fishinmission78
11-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Good bite at the park this AM, fished 5:30-7, 2 bass on t hex 3 oz for the last 15 minutes, 2 bass, 26 and 29". Wind was brutal.

LennyD
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Started last night in OC at 9pm-2am dif. locations without a bump. At my 1st location i saw lots of bait so i just crashed a bit in my car and started again b4 daybreak, wind picked up pretty good, gust up to 25mph.I figured its gonna be ok, plug forget it, used bucktail and metal but it was still dark.
Just when we had a little light we had a big surprise, birds all over, in front of us in casting distance. i was chest deep into the water sometimes had to jump cuz the waves were big. bang! Bass 27 3/4" few min. later bang another bass, fish were all over, in a short time got 3 bass 5 blues!
Unfortunately had to leave, fish were still there all over, it was hard to leave.
As far as i could see birds were everywhere!

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9623/p1000016e.th.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/p1000016e.jpg/)
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1718/p1000017.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/p1000017.jpg/)
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5128/p1000018t.th.jpg (http://img405.imageshack.us/i/p1000018t.jpg/)

hookset
11-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice report Lenny. I like the middle one with the sand eels the best. :upck: :thumbsup: How big was that blue?

It was on fire in OC this morning, from 8-1 there were a lot of bass. All bass, no blues. Lenny, we had to jump up too, that was crazy! The bass were there, just off the bar, using A47s with red tail did the job. 15 bass 26-32", great fishing in big waves and wind.

LennyD
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Nice report Lenny. I like the middle one with the sand eels the best. :upck: :thumbsup: How big was that blue?

It was on fire in OC this morning, from 8-1 there were a lot of bass. All bass, no blues. Lenny, we had to jump up too, that was crazy! The bass were there, just off the bar, using A47s with red tail did the job. 15 bass 26-32", great fishing in big waves and wind.

The blues were small just a few lb.

finchaser
11-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I really hope this noreaster doesn't end the surf season. But it's not looking good. In fact it could be very bad, forecasting to blow 35 mph with gusts to 50 through Friday. :scared::kooky:

This could push fish still coming down from the northeast way offshore right past us. :(

What he said^^^^^^^:(

It's unfishable now out front

SharkHart
11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Fishing last I didnt think would be good until middle of the night, i was heading out for some pizza around 6:30 pm was nearly low tide decided to look and take a cast and first few casts was all fish, then i got hammered and it stripped off a 40 or 50 foot run, no doubt about it 20 some pounder, well sorta was

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/100_1427-1.jpg

went back out later and surrisingly the incomming was dead and i made several moves, including one that was where it was hot this am

LennyD
11-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Fishing last I didnt think would be good until middle of the night, i was heading out for some pizza around 6:30 pm was nearly low tide decided to look and take a cast and first few casts was all fish, then i got hammered and it stripped off a 40 or 50 foot run, no doubt about it 20 some pounder, well sorta was

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/SharkHart/100_1427-1.jpg

went back out later and surrisingly the incomming was dead and i made several moves, including one that was where it was hot this am

Thats a nice looking fish sharkHart!
And yes, incoming was dead,

stripermania
11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice reports, Lenny and Sharkhart. I went out to nomo last night and saw some birds and bait. I guess the fish wanted the bait instead of my needlefish. Better luck next time.

buckethead
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Went out early this morning 4:30 - 7 in nomo. :skunk:

clamchucker
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Wed 4-11am, N of IBSP. Managed 3 bass to 27" and one bluefish at sunrise. The action shut off like a switch. Then it started up again around 8:30, incoming. They were hitting over the bar, ava 47 was the ticket. 9 more bass to 33", nice. Today I was down there early. I think they closed the south half of IBSP and the beaches are unfishable. This might be the end of that great fishing,

zev
11-14-2009, 06:14 PM
rained out the last few days but i did get some fish before the storms. still some decent fish running thru my area. mostly shorts but keepers are mixed in. for every 5-10 shorts theres 1 of these 30" out there. outgoing tide

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8499/cimg1156ou.jpg

cowherder
11-14-2009, 08:38 PM
rained out the last few days but i did get some fish before the storms. still some decent fish running thru my area. mostly shorts but keepers are mixed in. for every 5-10 shorts theres 1 of these 30" out there. outgoing tide

Wow nice fish, grats! Would you say you are catching these around the beginning of the high tide, or the end? Also, anything at all on the incoming, like 2 hours before high tide? Thanks.

ledhead36
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll try to put in a prayer to King Neptune to ask him to hold off the bite until ya get back, but I don't know if I have any cred with the King this week. :laugh:

Dark, did you know the origin of that? it came from the Odyssey. I'll post what I found. It's pretty cool, I've said the same thing before a fishing trip.

Looks like you're getting into some good fish zev, ocean or bay?

I had to get out today. There were lots of guys fishing, I don't know where they all got their clams from as a lot of places were out. Fished from 9-2, outgoing and part of the incoming, ocean county. I had to jump down like superman to the beach, and needed 8 oz to hold, fresh clams I had home in the fridge. One short 24", and a lot of junk at my line, had to re-cast a lot. It was good to be out in the salt air. So much damage out there it's unbelievable. There were pieces of wood floating by all day, mini submarines.