PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for November 2009

DarkSkies
10-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

7deadlyplugs
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Fished Jones 5-8A, 3 bass to 27" on a 4 oz ava red tube. Wind was a big issue, but the water was clean.

blitzhunter
11-04-2009, 10:21 AM
GSB - Got a bump on a bomber about the fifth cast out. Half an hour later caught a short on metal.

Frankiesurf
11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Fished a north shore harbor on election day. Pretty much just scouting it out for future reference. I found alot of great looking water and caught one shorty on a hand made tin that was given to me by an 89 year old man I had the pleasure of spending some time with fishing. Anyone out there know Leo Lures? He is usually out in Mt Sinai but made a trip west yesterday. Even better than the exciting prospects I discovered was the hour or so fishing with this gentleman. From the tales of fish from the past to the state of the fisheries today and pretty much everything in between. Women, cats, spot muggers etc. I am just upset that I didn't catch that fish with him there to see it.

Anyway, I spent the better part of the day over there and besides the areas that I found I spoke to a regular who fishes there twice a day. This guy FREELY gave me a ton of useful info even where to stand when casting here or there. Using some of his advice I headed to another spot there as I didn't want to crowd him out of the spot he was going. I walked right out to where he said, cast in the direction he said ( into the empty boat slips) and banged one schoolie on my second cast with a few bumps after that. I cught that one fish with the 8' honey Lami and 710 greenie that was given to me by Stripercoast1 for my efforts in working for Stripercoast Surfcasters and being the Honorable Mention, Member of the year. THis made that fish even more worth it.

A beautiful day, some great company, a new location and one fish. I enjoyed myself more yesterday than I have when fishing in a while. I left there with a sense of great satisfaction and a sort of mellowing peace. On top of all that my wife was fine with me being gone for seven or so hours and even had food ready for me when I got home.

Remember, great days like this don't happen on a regular so don't take them for granted.

jimbob
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I just returned from a south shore Inlet area. I fished out front an in the back and along the ocean beach for 3 hours this evening starting right around sunset and the beginning of the flood tide. I never had a hit.

DarkSkies
11-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I found alot of great looking water and caught one shorty on a hand made tin that was given to me by an 89 year old man I had the pleasure of spending some time with fishing. Anyone out there know Leo Lures? He is usually out in Mt Sinai but made a trip west yesterday. Even better than the exciting prospects I discovered was the hour or so fishing with this gentleman. From the tales of fish from the past to the state of the fisheries today and pretty much everything in between. Women, cats, spot muggers etc. I am just upset that I didn't catch that fish with him there to see it.

Everyone knows I talk a lot. ;) I do know exactly when to pipe down and give someone else a chance to speak. Meeting a guy like Leo is a golden chance to look back at some pages of fishing history, and learn a little from their perspective. Glad you had that chance, Frankie. :thumbsup:

This guy FREELY gave me a ton of useful info even where to stand when casting here or there. Using some of his advice I headed to another spot there as I didn't want to crowd him out of the spot he was going.

(Another of the golden rules for learning from other people, If someone has taken the time to teach you something, show them a little respect by not crowding them. I would have done the same thing.)

I cught that one fish with the 8' honey Lami and 710 greenie that was given to me by Stripercoast1 for my efforts in working for Stripercoast Surfcasters and being the Honorable Mention, Member of the year. THis made that fish even more worth it.

(I heard Gunny gave you that setup, and the story behind it. You do a lot to help the club, and also help others decipher the boring details behind many of the legislative things that affect fishermen. Well deserved. :clapping:)

On top of all that my wife was fine with me being gone for seven or so hours and even had food ready for me when I got home.

Sounds like a vintage episode of "Leave it to Beaver"! If they ever do a re-cast for a new series, I'll recommend ya for the part of Beav. :ROFLMAO ;)

Looks like you had an all-around great day. What was for dinner? Did ya get dessert too? :naughty: :HappyWave:

stripercrazy
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Jones area this morning 5:30-9. No hits on plugs in the dark. When the sun came up, I managed 2 medium sized bluefish on tins, 1oz diamond jigs.

BassBuddah
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Had the day off so I fished Montauk this morning. 3 bass to 27" on bucktail, and then 4 bluefish on metal when the sun came up. I find the lack of big bass at Montauk this year disturbing.

Frankiesurf
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Looks like you had an all-around great day. What was for dinner? Did ya get dessert too? :naughty: :HappyWave:

I think I am more the Eddie Haskell type. I got the hots for my friends mom and tend to get the goody two shoes in trouble.

It was just some pasta with sauce and no, there was no dessert:(

crosseyedbass
11-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I went to GSB last night and was able to pull in 2 bass 27" and 29", C&R. Hope to get out again tonight.

jimbob
11-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I fished a south shore Inlet area this morning from 5:30 till 8:30 this morning, I caught one fish 25" long, I tagged it. It was the only hit I had.

blitzhunter
11-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Hit FI this morning around 5 to 8. Caught three short, I hoping for a keeper but better luck next time.

DarkSkies
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I fished a south shore Inlet area this morning from 5:30 till 8:30 this morning, I caught one fish 25" long, I tagged it. It was the only hit I had.

Jimbob ya need a haircut!!! :laugh: Don't feel bad I look worse than that, I been livin in a van down by the river for the last 2 days. ;):HappyWave:

Glad you at least didn't bring any skunk home. :thumbsup:

nitestrikes
11-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Western SS, near Breezy, plugged through the wind in my face, it was pretty nasty. A half hour before I planned to leave it died down, I got 2 bass on a SS needlefish, one 25", one 24".

williehookem
11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Late last night at FI I came up with one short on metal and a couple of bumps.

jimbob
11-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Just back from the south shore, fished all over the place never had a hit in 4 hours of plugging. did see 2 fish caught on the beach well after sunrise. Gannets were diving well off the beach.

jimbob
11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Just back from 3 hours of fishing this evening, same beaches as this morning, same results. here's a sunset.

BassBuddah
11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Inlet to the East, 7-9pm, darters, bucks, :skunk:

crosseyedbass
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Fished the westernmost point of LI last night, SS, clams. Wind at your back, but only needed 6 oz to hold. 3 bass, 2 runts, one 29".

7deadlyplugs
11-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Jones 6-9am, 3 bass on a 3oz tin with bright green teaser. One hit the teaser, others hit the tin. It was very windy and tough conditions out there. Bigest bass was 27 1/4"

jimbob
11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I fished a south shore beach today for 7 bass and 4 bluefish I started with plugs at daybreak and switched to bait the rest of the time. I caught the bass on a Zara and a 007 with a red tail. The Blues were caught on bait (Bunker chunks).

DarkSkies
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
WTG, Jimbob! It appears a few lucky guys hit the jackpot in a bunch of different places today. Bass were on the feed, even where there were not many signs of fish feeding. I was trying like hell to get out there, but lost the window of opportunity with the building wind and surf. :( Congrats to all the guys who have been getting skunked and got in on that great action. :drool: :clapping:

stripercrazy
11-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Late report, sorry. the fishing blew up on Thurs. We were fishing on the ss, to the e, not montauk. The bass were there on the outgoing, sand eels and white bait were out there. Bucktails and pork, 9 bass to 36", kept one let the rest go. Great fishing for a few hours in the morning. took a ride today and it looks ugly. Can't wait till it clears up.:fishing:

nitestrikes
11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Sunday 10-3:30pm. We fished an inlet all the way to the west, and had decent striper action on sandworms. Caught and released 12 schoolies to 27". Most were around 22". Went through 4 dozen sandworms.

stripercrazy
11-16-2009, 10:19 AM
6-8am I heard of some decent fishing in the Breezy area, so I went there and couldn't get in. I made a move further east and decided to work some jetties. There is still a lot of white water and junk in the ocean. Alternated between a bucktail and a storm shad, nada.

jimbob
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Just got back from 3 hours of fishing two spots in the bay and two spots in the ocean from 4 to 7 pm. Not one hit on plugs and metals.

7deadlyplugs
11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Moses area 2-5 today, 3 bass to 27" on a 2 oz diamond jig with green tail. There were a lot of birds and bait busting just out of range. Snagged quite a few sand eels.

plugginpete
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Managed 2 small bass tonight on the SS, 8-10, outgoing. 1 1/2 oz bucktail and rind. It was weedy.

jimbob
11-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Went out this eveningfrom 4 to 8 pm on the south shore only caught one 14" bass on a diamond jig and one 28" Bluefish on a chunk. I also caught two small skates.

nitestrikes
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I fished from 4-7am, some SS areas near Montauk. I got one 20" rat on a bucktail. Didn't see much else caught, a few bluefish. Maybe it got better after left.

stripercrazy
11-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Hit up a SS spot near an inlet this morning 6-8. I fished a tin with a red tail, and chartreuse teaser. :skunk: for me. Wind wasn't that bad but the surf seemed to be getting bigger. Jimbob, nice fish pics but in the last one you look like a serial killer.:eek: J/K, why so serious?;) :D

blitzhunter
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Was in SI last night got :skunk: on clams.

BassBuddah
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
For once the Montauk area paid off with a happy reward. Fished a sand beach last night 4-8pm. The bass and blues were on the feed. 11 bass to 35", released, and 15 blues up to 10#. Tin with green tail, it was great fishing.

stripercrazy
11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
SS area 4-7am incoming. 3 bass to 29", darters and bucks.

Frankiesurf
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
SS inlet area this morning on the incoming. My skunking ends! :wheeeee:

A few big fish 20#+ in the mix but not by me.

nitestrikes
11-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow, how many sand eels do you think that was? Nice report and pic Frankie. I fished a SS beach from 7-12noon today. Friends had been doing well over the last week. I threw tins with teasers. I couldn't buy a hit. Some folks in the boats looked like they were doing ok, and there was quite a few patches of birds diving at different places, but nothing that came close to where I was.

crosseyedbass
11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Hit up a NS spot I like to frequent in the fall, but it hasn't been great lately. Fished from 3-6pm. There were some spearing around but not much fish. One blue, about 4pounds, on a small pencil.

Frankiesurf
11-22-2009, 10:54 AM
It was three handfuls. There were only about five that were semi digested, all the others you could have used as a trailer they were that fresh.

jimbob
11-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I spent the entire day yesterday alternating between fishing plugs and tins and bait. I had one hit all day on a diamond jig and teaser rig. I fished from 6 am to 7 pm.

Jimbob, nice fish pics but in the last one you look like a serial killer.:eek: J/K, why so serious?;) :D

you're on to me, where do you get your bait?:laugh:

DarkSkies
11-22-2009, 12:30 PM
SS inlet area this morning on the incoming. My skunking ends! :wheeeee:

A few big fish 20#+ in the mix but not by me.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8379&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1258847383 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8379&d=1258847383)
Still not a bad Fall fish, WTG. :thumbsup:

BassBuddah
11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I fished a sand beach to the E today, 3 bass to 32" and a few medium blues. There was some rough water out there. Tin with green tail, 2 oz.

williehookem
11-23-2009, 04:07 PM
7-9am, incoming. Fished a ss spot with clams near an inlet. I don't know why I bothered. 8oz to hold, and then it wasn't really holding. Windy and rough surf. Zip for me.

jimbob
11-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I fished three hours this afternoon at a south shore inlet area. I fished the bay side from 4 till 5 pm, with a diamond jig and red gill teaser. I caught one shad on my first cast, but that was it. I spent the next 2 hours fishing the shad chunks in three different spots in the ocean. I had no hits.

jimbob
11-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Went to a south shore inlet area this morning, I fished both inside and out. I caught 2 small bass on diamond jigs one on the jetty and one on the beach. I also foul hooked a large skate, I thought it was a nice fish, at first it took a lot of drag then it just suctioned to the bottom. I also saw a seal up on the beach, it looked injured I called the marine mammal rescue phone number and reported it.

crosseyedbass
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
:skunk: I went to a moses area beach 10-1 today, fished a tin, and also a buck with a white grubtail. I got blanked. There was a huge flock of birds far out but they never came in. Windy, and windy! It was nice that you tried to save that seal jimbob, some guys hate them.

rockhopper
11-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Headed out to MI last night. I missed the bite. Heard there was action in the morning.

nitestrikes
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
s shore from 6-10 this morning. Swimmers before sunrise, tins after.:skunk:

jimbob
11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Small bass on the south shore, I fished from 6:30 am to 9:30 am I caught 2 Bass to 22", I had many hits that I did not hook. This afternoon I fished from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm I landed one Bass about 24", dropped 3 fish and had many hits.

stripercrazy
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
South shore, 5-7 today, one runt at first light on a 1 oz tin with a small black fin-s attached. Nice catches jimbob, it seemed pretty slow this morning.

jimbob
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
I fished for 2 hours this afternoon in the rain. I caught 3 Bass 2 fish 24 and 26 inches and one 34" that I took home for dinner. I tagged the other two. I used diamond jigs until dark then switched to a bomber. I got many other hits and had another fish on but dropped it.

DarkSkies
11-30-2009, 10:29 PM
That's good to hear Jimbob. We've been having discussions here in NJ if the fall run is truly over or not. A bunch of guys have packed up their gear and cleaned out their trucks already. :don't know why:

I can't accept that yet, although realistically I feel 90% of the striped bass biomass is now past us and in the Delaware or Chesapeake bay areas. At least your catches give people some hope. Great report and beautiful pics. Nice fish! :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup: