PDA

View Full Version : Is Block Island the new Mecca?

plugginpete
11-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Been to Montauk a couple times this year. It has not been so great. Is Block Island the new mecca? Why?

blitzhunter
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Montauk has been slow this season. I had had more success with BI. Maybe is it becoming the new mecca.

DarkSkies
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I got the honor to meet Lilco Joe when I was up there. He's been fishing that place 50 years. When we talked about some of the nicer fish caught that week at Montauk, he said: "Ya, but the fishing up here is nowhere as good as it used to be".

He had some amazing stories for me. If anyone ever writes a book I hope they include his perspective in it. :thumbsup:

Since he's been fishing 50 years there, I would tend to believe what he's saying. Block is good right now because of its strategic location, and the fact that many varieties of fish and bait have been holding off it's shores for the whole summer. Naturally that translates into some fantastic surf fishin. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

rockhopper
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Block was the place to be during the mid to late summer last year. They had great charter catches of fish to 40lbs and more. I never fished the surf there, but some friends did. They did very well.

CharlieTuna
11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Block was also good this summer.