PDA

View Full Version : Giving advice

stripermania
11-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I was out at SH not long ago and ran across this guy who kept losing his lures. I watched him tie his knots cast it out, reel it in, get snagged and his lure was left behind. I thought I'd be a nice guy and try to help him out. Boy did that guy chew my ear off. :argue: Told me to leave him alone that he has been fishing for years and knows all the knots.

I walked away mumbling under my breath. Does anyone else here give unsolicited advice when you can help a fellow fisherman who seems to be having trouble?

Frankiesurf
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Occasionally I do. I have never been rebutted like that though. I tend to gravitate towards kids who are always more than willing to take any advice.

Some people just think they know it all.

cowherder
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't give advice because I don't want to get into a fight with someone. Not that I know a lot, tho I have learned how to catch a bluefish or bass once in a while. If I have done something uncool on the beach, guys will sometimes give me advice, and I am glad to have it, unless they are arrogant, at which point I want to ask them who the heck they think they are, but I usually don't.:scared:

vpass
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
It in my nature to help. It seems like when I give advice it well taken. I never had that incident being told where to go.

surfstix1963
11-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I'll try but if negativity is felt I just say have a nice day but I will help the kids I learned alot from the older guys in the game when I started so I'm just paying it forward.

rockhopper
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I give advice to those who seem to need help. My problem is I do it in everyday life as well. I have learned to choose my words carefully, then I have no trouble at all and people appreciate it.

surfwalker
11-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I have learned to choose my words carefully, then I have no trouble at all and people appreciate it.
I think rockhopper has it down pat. I usually don't interfere with others problems, but if someone is having difficulties, I will ask if they need a hand and see if I can help. If receptive then I'll go out of my way. If I get the look, then I walk on and just say "Take it ease". If asked for advice I will try and help, I don't have all the answers, just certain things that have worked for me in the past. Surfcasters can be touchy people, learn when to approach and when to lay back.

DarkSkies
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I think rockhopper has it down pat. I usually don't interfere with others problems, but if someone is having difficulties, I will ask if they need a hand and see if I can help. If receptive then I'll go out of my way. If I get the look, then I walk on and just say "Take it ease". If asked for advice I will try and help, I don't have all the answers, just certain things that have worked for me in the past. Surfcasters can be touchy people, learn when to approach and when to lay back.

:thumbsup: Well said. I'm the king of unsolicited advice, all well-meaning of course. :o :laugh:
I think the key is if someone will be receptive to that advice. There are many times in life I wanted to make the wrong choices, and didn't want to listen to anyone. I had to go through it to learn, and we have to give others that option. Some people need to struggle, I think it makes the learning curve more effective when they DO get it. I'm probably still like that at times. ;)

fishinmission78
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
If you ask me for advice on the beach, I might give you some, provided you are not invading my personal space and acting like and idiot.