PDA

View Full Version : Here it comes.

surferman
11-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Here we go with another storm. I heard it is going to be nasty out there. Lots of rain and high winds. Who is going to brave the storm and go out this weekend?

I bet Dark, will making a trip, he's pretty hard core and puts up with just about any kind of weather. :HappyWave:I was going to try to go out back and do some plugging. I hope the water is not too muddy.

vpass
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm on Vacation till Dec. 1st. I had great plans for this week. I guess it has to wait to next week.:2flip: I hope this storm doesn't kill the rest of the fall. :don't know why::plastered:

I may take a ride to see how bad it really is :kooky:, and support our local bait and tackle stores.:HappyWave:

Be safe out there.

DarkSkies
11-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Surferman, the NWS is predicting severe damage from the high tides and flooding. I tried to make it out there at the end of the day yesterday, but 2 good friends talked me out of it. There's no sense putting your life at risk. Every year someone dies on the beach or jetty in rough weather.

A friend is predicting an extreme pressure drop for Fri which could spur the bite on. Something is pulling me out there, I may have to see if he's right. The NE bite is over-rated, the last big bite was during a NW pattern.

However, last year there was an exceptional day bite during conditions like this. The key that put it all together was large amounts of small bait trapped in the pocket of a rocky ocean area. There was a young kid that was there at 4am, he had 40 fish by the time he had to leave because the waves were breaking 7' over the rocks. Many guys came down there, saw the beaches covered with sea foam, turned around and left.

I say this not to tease people, but to admit if there is someone who can find a lot of bait pinned up somewhere, there will be big fish behind them.

It's really unfishable in the ocean though. I just got another call from someone who's down there tryin to fish. He said the waves are pounding the beaches. The sand, even though it's fully soaked, is blowing sideways in your face due to the intensity of the wind.

If I do get out there, I would wear a PFD. The undertow is your enemy, not the waves. Big tough guys can get swept at the knees and dropped in a matter of seconds. :scared:

I have a feeling there will be certain inlets that might hold bait, or certain places might have some bass on the bottom that might take eels. The thing to remember is that if one decides to fish during this pattern, it wouldn't be easy. You can find bigger fish this way, IF you drop something right on their head. You can also find nothing but the :skunk:

On the bright side, some of the back bays are fishable. A good friend sent me a pic last night of a 32" bass he got fishin clams in an area everyone else seems to have abandoned in favor of the ocean, WTG, man. :clapping: :HappyWave:

If you go out there, please think rationally. You can't catch fish if you have to worry about getting swept off of somewhere. Even if you know how to time the sets and count the big ones, with a storm like this there are too many rogue waves that could be twice the size. Be careful. :HappyWave:

Edit- just got a call from another friend on the beach - waves breaking 12-16' directly on the beach, water coming over the bulkheads at the inlets, many streets are closed, water up to the dunes and boardwalks, wind 30+ mph with gusts up to 40+. Waves in the bay are 3-4', pretty big for there. There's no place to fish if you wanted to. :(

Monty
11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Is this pounding the beaches are taking this fall worse than previous years? Seems very bad.

vpass
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Is this pounding the beaches are taking this fall worse than previous years? Seems very bad.

I would say yes. The last time I could remember it being worse was around 1990-1992 I think there was sustain winds of 50mph the waves were crashing over the wall.

strikezone31
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I hope this storm doesn't kill the rest of the fall. :don't know why::plastered:

I may take a ride to see how bad it really is :kooky:,
Be safe out there.

I wonder if your not correct about it killing the fall run, vpass. Better watch yourself out there. If the waves are going over the bulkheads and many streets are closed, as Dark said, then I think we are all better off staying home. No scouting for me.

lostatsea
11-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I guess this storm means that we will have to learn the water all over again.