PDA

View Full Version : Manasquan Inlet

finchaser
11-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Most of Ocean county has no beaches and it's gonna get worse tonight . May not be able to fish the beach until Sunday. Manasquan Inlet over flowed it's banks even at low tide, 3' waves of white water were breaking off the inlet swell and washing into the parking lot. The spray was hitting my truck windows like in the deadliest catch. Wind was whistling and rocking truck. Storm warning now in effect gusts to 55 knots and seas to over 15' at the beach.

Well to all the gotta have a Northeaster group:don't know why: enjoy it.

surfwalker
11-13-2009, 07:33 AM
The Nor'easters of this year have been too strong and too often and have depressed me to no end this season.
As far as that guy being out there on the rocks, well there's that fine line between being brave and stupid- he's just stupid, IMO.

killie
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM
dark, that you?

madcaster
11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
The caption for that pic should be "Were going to need more weight":D

Monty
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Yup, real stupid.
Sometimes ya gotta wonder.:huh:

he's just stupid, IMO.

finchaser
11-13-2009, 10:48 AM
You know what they say no sense being stupid unless you can show it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to take some storm pictures for you guy's now

DarkSkies
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
dark, that you?

Cmon, man, you know my raingear is black and red, just like yours! :laugh: I wouldn't be out there but as I was looking at that pic I couldn't help but think bait had to be trapped in that pocket. If the winds would only calm down to the teens and the waves moderated to 5-6 instead of the 10-16s, it might be fishable! :kooky: :ROFLMAO

You know what they say no sense being stupid unless you can show it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to take some storm pictures for you guy's now

Wear your stupid with pride, maybe? In a Captain Morgan kind of way. :kooky: (that is an awesome shot, though)
Please get some pics, I'm stuck away from the ocean for awhile, we need some pics!!!!!

vpass
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Dark, you took that Picture? It's a beautiful shot.:thumbsup:

That guy is nuts,:eek: I hope he survives it.:beatin:

DarkSkies
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Vpass, not me, man.

Fin posted it, I think Maryann Spoto from the Star Ledger took the shot.

And it is a beauriful shot, despite the fact it may signal the end of surf fishin for this year in OC. Fin's down there now taking pics. He said you need a 25' ladder to get to the beach in some places. It looks like a big bulldozer came by and plowed off sections of the beach. Many access areas are gone, boardwalks are gone, 3-4' waves in the canal and bay, 5-6 in the back of the inlet, waves crashing over the Manasquan side of PP inlet, and it's 3 hours away from high tide.

No fishing access now for much of ocean county. :(

"Worst I've ever seen it!" he said, and that says a lot. I feel bad for some of the homeowners in Manasquan, half of that place is under water. Some serious weather out there!

storminsteve
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
That would be insane to go out on a jetty in those conditions. I hope he doesn't have a family that depends on him.

SharkHart
11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I got sucked into yet another argument elsewhere from the NE crew and how great this is. There is some psychology to the way they believe sticking their neck above the crowd makes them sound elite :cool: You go from 20-30 bass potential to sitting home for a week tying leaders and changing hooks. storms are so awesome :lookhappy:

cowherder
11-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I got sucked into yet another argument elsewhere from the NE crew and how great this is. There is some psychology to the way they believe sticking their neck above the crowd makes them sound elite :cool:

There are grave risks to fishing in this kind of weather. I would never do it even if you gave me a million dollars. I don't want to lose my life. I can barely understand beach structure as it is, now the few spots I know will be wiped out.:burn:

finchaser
11-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I got sucked into yet another argument elsewhere from the NE crew and how great this is. There is some psychology to the way they believe sticking their neck above the crowd makes them sound elite :cool: You go from 20-30 bass potential to sitting home for a week tying leaders and changing hooks. storms are so awesome :lookhappy:

One day they will learn, then again many of them never get the 20/30 because they wait for this kind of s--t. I'm sure they believe the world record story too.

paco33
11-13-2009, 07:04 PM
One day they will learn, then again many of them never get the 20/30 because they wait for this kind of s--t. I'm sure they believe the world record story too.

Do you have the inside story on Al McReynolds and his record night? Let's hear it.:lookhappy: :drool:

finchaser
11-13-2009, 07:35 PM
All I know, I was in the seafood business then and everyone was talking about the 80 pound bass a netter sold to the Fulton fish market. The fish was sold to a guy from Jersey. Next night the record is caught in a place not know for surf fishing or big fish. Rumor has it there were too many conflicting and hard to believe stories especially the redfin plug. That's why there were no endorsements and he never became super popular. After that allot of new comers till this day pray for a NE Gale and a possible new record but it usually ends up small fish on clams.

plugginpete
11-13-2009, 08:00 PM
They are saying this is the worst storm since 1992. The fall fishing will be as it was after this beating.

finchaser
11-13-2009, 08:13 PM
They are saying this is the worst storm since 1992. The fall fishing will be as it was after this beating.

Hope your right but I wouldn't bet on it allot of fish will pass offshore as the bait is pushed off, on Tuesday the boats had them in 70' last wek they ere thisk at 40' and my friends charter boat while bottom fishing told me there stacked up in the mudhole 7 -8 miles off feeding on sand eels and some sea herring

surfwalker
11-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I must admit that I have enjoyed a blow of 15-18mph from the NE, a tolerable wind that has produced well for me on arty’s. Mostly I looked forward to them at the end of August and somewhat into Sept. But the way the Nor’easters have formed this year has been very depressing for me, too strong, too often, too much erosion and as finchaser has stated most Bass will move out and pass us by. It’s frustrating.
By the way finchaser, thanks for posting those pictures, I haven’t seen those rocks at the Manasquan Inlet in quite a few years.

storminsteve
11-14-2009, 12:02 PM

The waves at this station hit 20' last night. I think this storm will go down as one of the worst in recent memory.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44025 (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44025)

yukon
11-14-2009, 03:34 PM
I heard on the weather channel that the cape may buoy read a wave at 26' the biggest wave since its been in the water:eek:

basshunter
11-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Well I read today where some of it went. Your federal tax dollars at work, over and over again.:kooky:

http://www.app.com/article/20091118/NEWS/911180343/1004/NEWS01&source=rss
Fishermen may have found beach sand pile

By KIRK MOORE (kmoore@app.com) • STAFF WRITER • November 18, 2009

So where did all that sand from Manasquan's beach go? The fishermen think they've found it.

Commercial vessels entering Manasquan Inlet reported contact with the normally deep bottom as they returned from first trips out after the storm.
"I draw 9.5 feet or so, maybe 10, and I bumped. . . . I never bumped in the inlet before," said James Lovgren of the Fishermen's Dock Cooperative in Point Pleasant Beach. "It's usually 20 to 25 feet (deep). They just dredged it a month ago."
His brother Denis Lovgren was stalled temporarily when his boat Kailey Ann met the sand pile. Just 50 to 100 feet inside the inlet, it's not the place to get stuck with an easterly wind blowing waves in, fishermen say.
The captains are hoping the inlet can be dredged again soon and the sand used to rebuild the adjoining beaches.

finchaser
11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
The last 3 times the Army Corp of morons dredged the inlet they dumped the sand in the pocket on the north side of the inlet jetty. Every time there is a bad northeaster it fills in the inlet and they dredge it again .Part of government job security. Most currents there run north to south at least if they dumped it on south side it would flow south and fill in the beach.

DarkSkies
09-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I wanted to take you people back a few years in time. At this moment in 2009 the hurricane season was upon us and we were getting hammered. Many thanks to the Old Grouchy Basstard Finchaser for all the great pics he has taken and posted over the years. I think as we move forward with beach replensihment issues it's important to re-visit threads like this. :thumbsup:

Feel free to post further opinions or pertinent info. Thanks.

cowherder
09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
I must admit that I have enjoyed a blow of 15-18mph from the NE, a tolerable wind that has produced well for me on arty?€™s. Mostly I looked forward to them at the end of August and somewhat into Sept. But the way the Nor?€™easters have formed this year has been very depressing for me, too strong, too often, too much erosion and as finchaser has stated most Bass will move out and pass us by. It?€™s frustrating.
By the way finchaser, thanks for posting those pictures, I haven?€™t seen those rocks at the Manasquan Inlet in quite a few years.

Thanks finchaser and surfwalker. Seems like it will be a little different this year. We haven't had any terrible storms yet this fall. Even last nights storm system wasn't that bad, light steady rain. I for one hope it stays that way. Feel that we lose fishing time when the water is dirty.

xtreme_visions
10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
1 of my favorite places to fish. Maybe I'll head down there today :HappyWave:

finchaser
10-03-2013, 12:34 PM
why^^^^^ how ya been donnie

xtreme_visions
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Ive been doing okay. Work work work. I never made it that day. Was getting my car serviced in Neptune but they took all day.

xtreme_visions
10-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Out of all the places I have fished I like the scenery there the best and I've had most of my luck there.

finchaser
10-04-2013, 10:09 PM
let me know when your coming down

nitestrikes
12-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I was down in NJ over the thanksgiving weekend and saw the manasquan inlet. It's amazing when you think of how some of these places used to look 75 years ago. Thanks for the pics and stories

bababooey
12-10-2013, 02:22 PM
I wish they could figure out a way not to have the sand build up in the north side. I don't think that was a smart move eliminating all the jetties spring lake to manasquan. Now they will be dredging that inlet twice as often. Ching ching for the dredgers and the dredging companies

finchaser
12-10-2013, 02:37 PM
job security for the Army Corp of Morons

Monty
12-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I wish they could figure out a way not to have the sand build up in the north side. I don't think that was a smart move eliminating all the jetties spring lake to manasquan. Now they will be dredging that inlet twice as often. Ching ching for the dredgers and the dredging companies

Really bummed about covering up all that structure. Burring all the crabs and stuff the fish would feast on. :mad: