PDA

View Full Version : What's with the EPA and the Ocean County sand cleanup from the Nov Noreaster?

DarkSkies
11-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I was told the EPA will not allow the sand to go back on the beach yet because, in one example, Seaside's permit has expired. :huh:

So the way it was related to me, the sand will sit there off the beach until the EPA inspects it for possible contaminants. :kooky:

We need to protect the environment, I get that. However, the sand came directly from the beach, and now the way I understand it, cannot be placed back on the beach. Granted, this is only in a few specific areas. It seems inefficient, short-sighted, and mind boggling to me that a bureaucracy could have such a reach into emergency management after a natural calamity such as last weekend's storm.

I'm aware of the layers of red tape. In rehabbing houses, there was always a concern about the oil tank when I did the conversion. There was such apprehension about them finding a spoonful of "oil contaminated" dirt that I always opted for the fill-in procedure rather than pulling the oil tank out.

It just seems to me when the EPA or similar agencies get involved, the costs are jacked way up into the stratosphere. In cases like brownfield and chemical dump cleanups, I'm glad those guys are involved.

However, IMO sometimes they take things too far and complicate the hell out of them. The simple solution is to put the sand back where it came from, and pronto.

From my personal experience with Laurence Harbor/ Sayreville and the lead slag there, they would be better, even in that terrible situation, of capping it off, and bulkheading over the contaminated areas.

Instead, they'll study it for 5 years and spend untold finite resource tax dollars before they even begin to address the problem. :rolleyes:

These inefficiencies in gov't make no sense to me, and as I get older I seem to notice them more and more. Where is the common-sense leadership in gov't that would tell some of these people that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line? :kooky:

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of others on this topic.

finchaser
11-17-2009, 05:03 PM
More applause for another Nobama puppet but then again Whitman was no claim to fame :huh:

basshunter
11-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I wonder if anyone reads this stuff. It's probably not what you guys are talking about here, but shows that the DEP is a mass of red-tape and hoops that have to be jumped through to get any project under their jurisdiction done. Reading some of these cases blew my mind. They seem like the Gestapo.

Borough of Seaside Heights
Seaside Heights, Ocean County

An AONOCAPA was issued to the Borough of Seaside
Heights in August, 2005, for placing asphalt millings,
fencing and telephones poles to create a parking
lot at Hiering Avenue. They were advised at that
time that a Coastal Areas Facility Review Act
(CAFRA) permit is required and they were advised
that improvements to that area were subject to approval
from the Department’s Green Acres Program
which provided funding for the land acquisition to the
Borough. The deed for the property specifically
identifies a Green Acres encumbrance for the site and
places restrictions that any development that would

requires prior approval from the Department. On
November 6, 2006, an AONOCAPA was issued to
the Borough for various beach and dune activities
including the construction of an approximately 100
foot long retaining wall along a dune, the excavation
of the dune at Hiering Avenue, and the stockpiling
of sand within an area measuring approximately
15 feet by 80 feet by 5 feet high in and near
the high water line of the Atlantic Ocean. The sand
had been excavated from areas near and under the
adjacent boardwalk and moved to the water line.
The Borough of Seaside Heights did not have a
valid CAFRA permit to conduct any beach or dune
maintenance activities. On June 18, 2007, a third
AONOCAPA was issued to the Borough of Seaside
Heights for compounding violations on an oceanfront
parking lot, excavating an adjacent dune and
raking an area of beach within a documented sea
beach amaranth protective zone (a federally listed
threatened and state listed endangered plant species).
A CAFRA permit application is currently
under review for the parking lot site and the
AONOCAPA’s are under appeal in the Office of
Administrative Law.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/enforcement/cehighlightsfy2007.pdf

gjb1969
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
u know what its all abought money allways has bin allways will be

finchaser
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Dark is referrinfg to the sand on the road in in Seaside and seaside park and the sand on the boardwalk from the most recent storm,not the parking lot deal