PDA

View Full Version : Beach restoration project at LBI

jigfreak
11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I was searching for something on the sand restoration and found this. I thought it would be interesting to see if they change the protocol because of these northeast storms we have been having. Anyone else have any pics or stories? I heard something that they would not accept federal money because they would have to install public bathrooms. Is that true?

Barnegat Inlet to Little Egg Harbor Inlet

Long Beach Island

Storm Damage Reduction Project

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projects/LBI/images/Mar1962_27_jpg.jpgLong Beach Island is an 18-mile barrier island in southern Ocean County, New Jersey. This area regularly suffers damages from coastal storms, hurricanes and northeasters. Our project is designed to reduce erosion and property damages associated with these events.

A Feasibility Report Completed in September of 1999 recommended Beachfill with periodic nourishment to reduce potential hurricane and storm damages for the island. The project will construct a Dune with a top elevation 22 feet above sea level with a 300-400 foot wide berm, depending on the location of the beach on the island, at an elevation of 8 feet above sea level. Approximately 11,000,000 cubic yards of sand will be placed during the initial construction. A periodic nourishment cycle will contribute an additional 2,000,000 cubic yards every 7 years.

Communities participating in the initial construction include: Harvey Cedars, Surf City, Ship Bottom, Beach Haven and Long Beach Township. Long Beach Township consists of: Loveladies, North Beach, Brant Beach, Beach Haven Crest, Brighton Beach, Peahala Park, Beach Haven Park, Haven Beach, Beach Haven Terrace, Beach Haven Gardens, Spray Beach, North Beach Haven, Beach Haven Heights, Beach Haven Inlet and Holgate.

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Projects/LBI/images/LBI_Map.jpg
Long Beach Island, NJ - Project Area Map

finchaser
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
The rich complained the 22' dunes will block there view, all it does is wreck the eco system the sand eels are finally back and they want to kill the beds to protect houses that never should have been built there in the first place.
Total waste of money over and over again you can not move back the sea some day the Army Corp of Morons will understand this but for now it's there job security.

ledhead36
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
The real estate alone on that spit of land is probably valued into the hundreds of millions even in today's poor economy. I think they should never have put the houses that close. That's a barrier island. Go down to delaware & the carolinas and see the barrier islands there. Some of them do have the over-development, but a few of them are mandated as nature preserves and should remain that way.

buckethead
11-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I heard the Feds pased a bill which states that they will only pay homeowners once for damages due to a storm.

If true that is one of the best plans implemented. Why should our tax payers always pay to rebuild the homes of the fools who build so close to the beaches.