PDA

View Full Version : Quicksand

vpass
11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I know many of you ran into the situation of sinking in really soft sand. I once sank past my knees at North beach a few years ago. I was not able to pull my leg out. If I used my hands for leverage it would sink also. I was in a semi panic state, I knew it was outgoing tide, but then I was second guessing myself. I was all alone. What worked in getting me out of that situation was my fishing rod. I layed it down and used it to push my self up. it had the same effect as a snow shoe in snow.

I notice that the soft sand is usually after storms. The soft sand is usually on the backside of sandbar, near a cut with water almost drained on the outgoing closer to the water edge.

Tell us your stories, and Knowledge of this natural Phenomena.

Below is an article from how stuff work.

What's Quicksand?

Quicksand is an interesting natural phenomenon -- it is actually solid ground that has been liquefied by a saturation of water. The "quick" refers to how easily the sand shifts when in this semiliquid state.
Quicksand is not a unique type of soil; it is usually just sand or another type of grainy soil. Quicksand is nothing more than a soupy mixture of sand and water. It can occur anywhere under the right conditions, according to Denise Dumouchelle, geologist with the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
Quicksand is created when water saturates an area of loose sand and the ordinary sand is agitated. When the water trapped in the batch of sand can't escape, it creates liquefied soil that can no longer support weight. There are two ways in which sand can become agitated enough to create quicksand:
<LI sizset="67" sizcache="29">Flowing underground water - The force of the upward water flow opposes the force of gravity, causing the granules of sand to be more buoyant.
Earthquakes - The force of the shaking ground can increase the pressure of shallow groundwater, which liquefies sand and silt deposits. The liquefied surface loses strength, causing buildings or other objects on that surface to sink or fall over.
Vibration tends to enhance the quickness, so what is reasonably solid initially may become soft and then quick, according to Dr. Larry Barron of the New South Wales Geological Survey.

Quicksand forms when uprising water reduces the friction
between sand particles, causing the sand to become "quick."

The vibration plus the water barrier reduces the friction between the sand particles and causes the sand to behave like a liquid. To understand quicksand, you have to understand the process of liquefaction. When soil liquefies, as with quicksand, it loses strength and behaves like a viscous liquid rather than a solid, according to the Utah Geological Survey. Liquefaction can cause buildings to sink significantly during earthquakes.
While quicksand can occur in almost any location where water is present, there are certain locations where it's more prevalent. Places where quicksand is most likely to occur include:
Riverbanks
Beaches
Lake shorelines
Near underground springs
Marshes
The next time you're at the beach, notice the difference in the sand as you stand on different parts of the beach that have varying levels of moisture. If you stand on the driest part of the beach, the sand holds you up just fine. The friction between the sand particles creates a stable surface to stand on.
If you move closer to the water, you'll notice that the sand that is moderately wet is even more tightly packed than the dry sand. A moderate amount of water creates the capillary attraction that allows sand particles to clump together. This is what allows you to build sand castles.
But beach sand could easily become quicksand if enough water were thrust up through it. If an excessive amount of water flows through the sand, it forces the sand particles apart. This separation of particles causes the ground to loosen, and any mass on the sand will begin to sink through it. In the next section, you will find out how to save yourself if you happen to fall into a pit of quicksand.

How to Escape

If you ever find yourself in a pit of quicksand, don't worry -- it's not going to swallow you whole, and it's not as hard to escape from as you might think.
The human body has a density of 62.4 pounds per cubic foot (1 g/cm3) and is able to float on water. Quicksand is denser than water -- it has a density of about 125 pounds per cubic foot (2 g/cm3) -- which means you can float more easily on quicksand than on water. The key is to not panic. Most people who drown in quicksand, or any liquid for that matter, are usually those who panic and begin flailing their arms and legs.
It may be possible to drown in quicksand if you were to fall in over your head and couldn't get your head back above the surface, although it's rare for quicksand to be that deep. Most likely, if you fall in, you will float to the surface. However, the sand-to-water ratio of quicksand can vary, causing some quicksand to be less buoyant.
"By the same token, if the quicksand were deep, as in up to your waist, it would be very difficult to extract yourself from a dense slurry, not unlike very wet concrete," said Rick Wooten, senior geologist for Engineering Geology and Geohazards for the North Carolina Geological Survey. "The weight of the quicksand would certainly make it difficult to move if you were in above your knees."
Your browser does not support JavaScript or it is disabled.
If you can't see this animation, download the free Flash 5 player.
With quicksand, the more you struggle in it the faster you will sink. If you just relax, your body will float in it because your body is less dense than the quicksand.

The worst thing to do is to thrash around in the sand and move your arms and legs through the mixture. You will only succeed in forcing yourself farther down into the liquid sandpit. The best thing to do is to make slow movements and bring yourself to the surface, then just lie back. You'll float to a safe level.
"When someone steps in the quicksand, their weight causes them to sink, just as they would if they stepped in a pond," Dumouchelle said. "If they struggle, they'll tend to sink. But, if they relax and try to lay on their back, they can usually float and paddle to safety."
When you try pulling your leg out of quicksand, you are working against a vacuum left behind by the movement, according to The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook. The authors of the book advise you to move as slowly as possible in order to reduce viscosity. Also, try spreading your arms and legs far apart and leaning over to increase your surface area, which should allow you to float.
While quicksand remains the hackneyed convention of bad adventure movies, there's very little to be afraid of in real life. As long as you keep a cool head in the situation, the worst result will be a shoe full of wet sand.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/quicksand2.htm

DarkSkies
11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I was in a semi panic state, I knew it was outgoing tide, but then I was second guessing myself. I was all alone. What worked in getting me out of that situation was my fishing rod. I layed it down and used it to push my self up. it had the same effect as a snow shoe in snow.

I notice that the soft sand is usually after storms. It on the backside of sandbar, near a cut with water almost drained on the outgoing closer to the waters edge.

Tell us your stories, and Knowledge of this natural Phenomena.

Very timely that you put that up, Vpass, and good recognition of where the quicksand usually lies. Reading this could potentially save a life, especially for those of us who fish alone or in the dark. Thanks for posting it. :clapping:

Here's my story:
I was fishin RB in the spring. There are quite a few muddy areas to be worried about, but after fishing for awhile you get to know them and your awareness is heightened.

Walking or wading through the sand is no reason to be alarmed, though, right?
Wrong.

I was wading back from fishin the early season March bass bite. It was cold out and dark at 2am as I made my way back to the van. I had to traverse 2 feeder creeks, The first one was fine, water was only 18" deep at the deepest. These were sandy creeks, no mud anywhere around.

At the next one, as I started to walk across, I sank in to mid-thigh. It was deep and sucked you in. :eek: No one else was remotely near where I was. I got a little nervous, and remembered that a lot of people make it worse by panicking. I knew the area I came from was good, so I leaned back, shifted my foot around, and placed my weight on the good sand as I gradually tried to work my leg free. I had neoprene waders on, and I remember the water being pretty cold, low 50's.

It wasn't that easy to work my leg out. I didn't have the best leverage, as I was standing in water already and was trying not to get wet. You made a good point about using the rod for leverage.

Since I had been clamming, I used my white googan bucket. :bucktooth: I set it in the water and pushed down on it. This gave me the leverage to gradually pull my leg out. I breathed a sigh of relief as I gradually made my way back to safe ground.

The standard reply to that would be to always watch where you are wading at night. If you fish the back bays a lot, you generally know where the dangerous areas are. You can be sure that after that night I avoided that area and let my fishin buds know there was quicksand there.

I hope this story and the others here can give someone the knowledge not to panic, and figure a reasonable plan to get themselves out of it. :thumbsup:

clamchucker
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes there is quicksand in New Jersey. It can cause you big trouble if you panic. Many years ago I sunk into it in one of the troths along the beach. I am glad it was in the daytime. Good thread.

Monty
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
About 3 or 4 weeks ago out front I made my way back from a sand bar. Went up to my knee in sand. Was able to get out, but was surprised as that was the first time that had happened to me (found sand so soft/so deep). Was exactly where you said vpass The soft sand is usually on the backside of sandbar, near a cut with water almost drained on the outgoing closer to the water edge. .
Good learning experience (was 11:00 AM and others around).
Great thread!!!!

hookedonbass
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Very informative vpass, thanks for posting.