PDA

View Full Version : Dragged into the water

bluesdude71
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
If you are out on a jetty and a hugh wave knocks you into the water. How much time do you have before you succumb to hypotherima?

I have been told that if the tide at the jetty is taking you out to sea you should swim parallel to the shore line. That gets you out of the rips and makes it possilbe to save yourself.

finchaser
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
only if you shed your gear and are not slammed into the jetty then you can swim off and worry about hypo. fishing jetties in rough surf is very dangerous especially on if you are in a new area

surfstix1963
11-25-2009, 04:15 AM
If your worried about being out there on certain conditions stay out of there.Wear the proper equiptment you have to use your head there is too many things that can go wrong when you least expect it especially at night.

dogfish
06-17-2010, 03:51 PM
If your worried about being out there on certain conditions stay out of there.Wear the proper equiptment you have to use your head there is too many things that can go wrong when you least expect it especially at night.

No waders
Always wear a wading belt and shoes/boots you can get out of.
Let someone know where you will be going in case they have to look for you.

strikezone31
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
What's the point of a wading belt? Does it really keep the water out?

surfstix1963
06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
It will keep enough out that the waders won't fill w/ water and suck them onto your body like a vac sealer and drown you, as far as I'm concerned they are one of the most important peices of fishing equipt.Just my .02 cents

jigfreak
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I have been told that if the tide at the jetty is taking you out to sea you should swim parallel to the shore line. That gets you out of the rips and makes it possilbe to save yourself.

You should also always be conscious of the rip and how the tide is running, right to left or vice versa. Cold water is no joke.