PDA

View Full Version : Proper Drag Setting

voyager35
11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Is there a way to figure out how to set the correct drag setting for the pound test you are using. I seem to have been losing some fish lately due to my drag not being set correctly.

surfstix1963
11-29-2009, 05:30 AM
What kind of line are you using?W/ braided lines it needs to be set a little lighter due to the no stretch factor(if it is too tight you will rip the hook through the fishes mouth= lost fish) because it will bury itself in the spool if it is too tight and then a couple of casts later birds nest where it got buried in the spool.When using braided lines something else has to give so a rod with a lighter top half and backbone near the bottom of the rod is better for braided lines.Mono stretches so you can keep a tighter drag personally I set my drags by pulling my line off the spool by hand I have been doing it so long I can feel how I want it.Now the one thing a lot of people overlook is the drag washers themselves are they functioning properly because if they are not setting the drag is pointless because it needs to come off the reel smoothly w/o grabbing.Just my .02 cents