PDA

View Full Version : NY fishing reports for December 2009

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Important when registering on our site -- use an active email address so you can activate your account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.
More discussion on this:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=3763 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3763)

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free.
Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
FI -- Fire Island
FT -- Fort Tilden Park
FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
WE -- West End

JBay -- Jamaica Bay
LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
OB -- Oyster Bay
PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby

SI -- Staten Island
ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya :D

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
** It seems I neglected the plug giveaway for Oct. Sorry 'bout that! :embarassed: Later today I'll announce a winner for Oct and Nov.

* you won the plug in the October random drawing!:clapping: :thumbsup:

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.

If you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well. Anyone who posts a report can win a plug even if they got skunked! :skunk::D

This month we're giving out plugs from Ace Baits.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...splay.php?f=83 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)

PM me your info so I can send it out. Thanks for posting and helping to make this a great site! :clapping:

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&thumb=1&d=1238964999 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6338&d=1238964999)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&thumb=1&d=1238965622 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6340&d=1238965622)

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&thumb=1&d=1238965319 (http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6339&d=1238965319)

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 08:16 AM
October 2009 - winner is *

November 2009 - winner is *

crosseyedbass
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Fished a ss beach yesterday 1-4, one rat on a small tin. Is the fat lady here yet?

7deadlyplugs
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Late report - fished the s shore Thanksgiving, got 5 bass to 32" with a diamond jig and black teaser.
Today, same place, nada.

stripercrazy
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Fished a ss beach 6-9am today, outgoing. Slow pick, 2 bass and 3 medium blues on a very small tin 1 oz. There was a huge cloud of birds right out of reach, they were on rainbait. There was also a rotten egg stench that was unreal as I was driving home.

Frankiesurf
12-02-2009, 03:43 PM
What kind of birds were they? If they were gannets then they were on herring. Those big birds don't usually bother with little fish.

stripercrazy
12-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Terns and gulls. There was a small amount or rainbait in the surf line. I'm still waiting for the herring, heard some is in some of the marinas in the sound already. I can't wait till it shows on the beach.:drool:

Frankiesurf
12-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I have been seeing Gannets for about two weeks on the SS. Between Montauk and Gilgo. Mostly too far offshore to cast to but they were there. One day was crazy. HUGE flocks of them smashing the water for hours. They were close once or twice but just out of reach and no stray bass around.

jimbob
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
They closed my beach today. I went down after work, they said it was closed because it might get windy or something. Conditions looked real good. I decided to go to a bay area nearer to the inlet, I fished for 2 hours and did not get a hit. I should have just walked out on the beach.

rockhopper
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Late report. Fished a couple of hours at FI. I got :skunk:

pescador29
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
we fish the east river this morning at 7 to 9, the water is going out. we got 3 short stripers on the stormshad and threw them back. maybe tomorrow we have some bigger ones.

plugginpete
12-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Jones area 5-9 am, threw a 2z tin with a red tail. One tiny rat 18". The birds were working just one cast past my furthest.:burn:

jimbob
12-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I fished a south shore beach this morning from 6 am to 2 pm, I caught 2 Striped Bass 29" and 20" both tagged and released. I caught the fish on a 5" needle fish. I also had hits on a diamond jig and a mambo minnow.

strikezone31
12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
JB this morning from 5 to 8am. It was cold as ice. I got two shorts on a black needle. Wish I could have stayed longer but the Mrs. made plans with the folks. Fantastic pics jimbob.

jimbob
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I fished a south shore beach again this afternoon from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm I caught one 30" bass on a black Bomber and I had one other hit.

Pebbles
12-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Congrats on the fish Jimbob. Thanks for putting up the awesome pics.

jimbob
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the fish Jimbob. Thanks for putting up the awesome pics.

Thank you, I do like to post pictures they make the reports more interesting.
I went to a south shore beach this afternoon for 2 1/2 hours no hits, only a week left.

Frankiesurf
12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
JimBob, do you have a job or is it just fishing?:naughty:

Nice job. You culled one of the bigger fish from the school. There should be some bigger fish coming by in a week or so if they don't move offshore.

vpass
12-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice catch Jim.:thumbsup:

BassBuddah
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
:thumbsup: Nice fish for the fall, jimbob, love those pics too.
I fished a s shore beach from 4 to 7AM. Started with a darter for a nicer fish, nothing. One bump in the dark on a redfin. I think we will have to deal with light hitting fish now as the water gets colder. That's all she wrote. Still hoping for another fish or 2 before the season closes.

jimbob
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I went to a south shore beach after work this afternoon I caught 3 bass 24", 21" and 35" 17 lbs. The 24" fish hit a Zara Spook the other 2 fish were caught on a 5" Bomber. I also had 7 or 8 other hits and I had a nice fish hooked but I lost it. After the fish stopped hitting I spent 2 hours casting without any more hits. The ocean and wind were calm. All fish tagged and released. Thank you for the feedback everybody.

strikezone31
12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice Work Jim. I went out last night as well to the SS caught 2 microshorts both on black bomber.

jimbob
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I went out at dawn today to a south shore location. I fished for an hour around sunrise without a hit. The water was dirty, and it was cold. There was ice in the bay.

jimbob
12-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I went out again this afternoon for two hours 3:45 to 5:45 no hits and the ocean was still dirty so I went to the bay side and sloshed through the ice and fished some cleaner water. I saw a seal back there and I also saw a heron, so there must be fish around somewhere.

jimbob
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I went out this afternoon to a south shore beach. the water is still dirty and the wind really picked up to about 40 mph. it's probably going to be messed up for a while now. I did not see any bait or fish. I got no hits. I did see a heron in the marsh.

jimbob
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I got out this afternoon after work. The ocean was pretty rough and still off color, but cleaner than yesterday. The bay was dirty though. I used swimmers and a Zara in the bay and pencil poppers and bucktails in the ocean. Tomorrow is the last day I am pretty sure that the fish have been gone since the storm last Wednesday.
I will try one more time, you never know.

DarkSkies
12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I got out this afternoon after work. The ocean was pretty rough and still off color, but cleaner than yesterday. The bay was dirty though. I used swimmers and a Zara in the bay and pencil poppers and bucktails in the ocean. Tomorrow is the last day I am pretty sure that the fish have been gone since the storm last Wednesday.
I will try one more time, you never know.

90% of all fishermen have given up, maybe more than that on the LI side. I went out today too because it was too nice not to. It's better to be out there when ya can. There will be too many days in the winter when we can't.

No one could ever accuse you of being a quitter, Jimbob. :thumbsup: :HappyWave:

BassBuddah
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Jimbob, you inspired me to give it one more try on the south shore. Fished 7-8:30 am throwing 2 oz tin with green tail. The water wasn't that bad but there was a bit of a swell. Not even a tap.:skunk: Great pics and reports. I wanted to wish all you guys out there early Christmas wishes. I hope we have some fish left to fish for next season.

Frankiesurf
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
JimBob gets the Ironman award this year for fishing when the rest of us can't bear to freeze our as ses off. I have given up on the dinks for now, too much crap going on. Maybe in a week or two.

I am going to try for some herring in the next few days. Anyone out there give them a shot yet? I don't want your spot as I have a few planned out, since this will be my first year fishing for them, I am just curious as to whether North or South shore would be best to try?

jimbob
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, that's it for me. I fished the south shore this afternoon for three hours. The water was a little cleaner and it was a bit easier to fish, but I never had a tap. I heard that there were fish east of me and west of me, that's the story of my season. I enjoyed sharing my reports and look forward to next year, meanwhile I will be on the main forum and at the fishing shows, see everyone there. Happy Holidays! :D

nitestrikes
12-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I enjoyed reading your reports and the pics JB, hope you and you family have a great holiday!

blitzhunter
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Great reports all year and pics of the fish, jimbob, thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays to your family, and all the guys here. Let's hope we have some decent fishing for next year. :fishing:

7deadlyplugs
12-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Always enjoyed your reports and stories jb. :HappyWave: Wishing all of the guys here a merry Christmas and a happy new year.:plastered:

strikezone31
12-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys for the reports and great pictures. I hope to be fishing more in 2010 and posting more. Merry Christmas!

Frankiesurf
12-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Christmas eve sunset and christmas day sunrise on the North Shore. Hit up a few spots for herring. Came away with one last night and two this morning. Hardly a jars worth but it's a start.

These were the first herring I have ever caught since I never tried for them before and holy crap do they stink!

nitestrikes
12-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Herring are to the s and west, look for the ferris wheel.;)

Frankiesurf
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
It would be cheaper for me to buy them then to drive to brooklyn to get them. :D

There are some in good numbers where I am going, I just gotta track them down.