PDA

View Full Version : Strange but true thread: outrageous behaviors/ statements made by surf fishermen

ledhead36
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
what crazy stories have you heard or seen out there when fishing the salt?

baitstealer
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Well I have run into some crazy characters. You see the most of them when fishing weekends, or inlets usually attract the drunks.

jonthepain
04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
That's why it's a good idea to take a break on weekends.

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
The reason I'm posting these is that there have been a lot of funny statements or behaviors I and others witnessed recently. :kooky:

I admit to doing stupid stuff plenty of times, but I thought we could put up some of the more outrageous things seen and heard here.

Let's try to be as generic as possible. Don't describe the person or place in too much detail. We dont want to start arguments or cause bad feelings. :argue:

Here's why: My intent is not to make fun of the specific guy/guys that said it, but to have some laughs about the non-logical things we say or do sometimes. :don't know why:

Also to give us some entertainment during the long cold winter! :plastered::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't laugh at others if I'm not willing to laugh at myself first. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

A while back G and I caught a monster eel on bait. I decided to get the hook out without pliers, cause everyone knows eels don't have big teef!

Yep the small ones don't!
So that sucker clamped on my thumb and wouldn't let go, I thought we were going to have to chop his head off to get it to let go. Finally got it off, the cut from it's teeth took a week to heal. :beatin:

Total goog move, yep that's me. :D

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Now that I slammed myself, we can start talkin about the weirdness that comes out of other peoples mouths....

This morning while fishin, as Finchaser is unhooking and releasing a 30" bass, a guy "down the beach" comes up to him and says:
"Hey buddy that's a nice fish, but I just wanna tell ya if you were using clams you might catch one even bigger!!!" :huh: :ROFLMAO

The well meaning fisherman caught :skunk: that morning.

Ya just can't make this stuff up!

DarkSkies
12-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Yesterday I was moving from one place to another so I could shoot the west wind wally video. There were 3 guys fishin, and 2 guys watching them fish, and commenting on them.

As I was passing by, I said, "hey what's up guys, goin fishin?"

They said "Yeah, but not just yet" :huh:

I'm thinking what are these guys waiting for King Neptune to authorize a full-out blitz? It was a slow afternoon pick but the fish were right there in front of them. They just couldn't seem to see that. There was less than an hour before it would be dark and the bite would shut off.

So I tried to help one last time. I said, "dudes the fish are there".

They said: "OK, thanks."

They got no fish that afternoon. :don't know why:

DarkSkies
12-05-2009, 12:37 AM
As told by Finchaser:

Coming off the beach one morning, ran into a guy who was raving about the fishing...
"Hey ya know we should catch a lot of fish today, there's bait all over the place!"

Fin:"What bait?" :huh:

Raving fisherman: "Why, don't you see all the clam shells there in front of you? That's how you can tell! :beatin:"

**The clamshells are leftovers from the guys who fish that beach with clams. There are no offshore clam beds directly in that area. :rolleyes:

DarkSkies
12-05-2009, 12:41 AM
.....or is it a matter of perspective? ;)

Overheard as I was walking off the beach to get something to eat today. A guy I had fished next to for 45 minutes, and walked on (for the first time that day) the same time I did.

When oncoming fishermen asked him how the bite was, he says:

"Great, we had em on every cast!"

(the guy got 2 fish in 45 minutes, I got 1) :wow:

Moral of the story...believe 1/4 of what you hear, and half of what your see. http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

DarkSkies
12-05-2009, 12:47 AM
As told by Finchaser...

Fin comes off the beach after a successful dawn bite. It's now 8am and the water is dead as the tide has gone slack.

Guy walking on to the beach:
Hey how did ya do today?

Fin:
We did great, 8 to 11 apiece, still swimming.

Guy:
Hey great I'm going down to catch mine right now!

Fin:
Well the bite is over, the tide is slack now. Try to get here at 6am tomorrow and you should do well.

Guy:
6AM??? No way, that's too cold then, I'd rather come at 8.

No fish for you!!! :laugh: ;)

wish4fish
12-05-2009, 04:28 PM
As told by Finchaser...

Fin comes off the beach after a successful dawn bite. It's now 8am and the water is dead as the tide has gone slack.

Guy walking on to the beach:
Hey how did ya do today?

Fin:
We did great, 8 to 11 apiece, still swimming.

Guy:
Hey great I'm going down to catch mine right now!

Fin:
Well the bite is over, the tide is slack now. Try to get here at 6am tomorrow and you should do well.

Guy:
6AM??? No way, that's too cold then, I'd rather come at 8.

No fish for you!!! :laugh: ;)

too cold then the loser should have stayed the f home and watched fiishin on tv, ****:moon:

DarkSkies
12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Maybe, maybe not! :rolleyes:

As told by Finchaser:

He was walking off the beach this morning, location Atlantic Ocean. It was 40 degrees, and there was a decent swell to the surf.

On walks a young guy and his girlfriend.

The guy...wearing pants, Timberland boots, gloves, hat, ski jacket, NO waders.

The girlfriend...wearing pants, jacket, mittens, hat, NO waders.

The Reel...A VS

The presentation...He was already rigged to fish. The rig consisted of a 4" storm shad on the bottom, and a smaller 2" storm shad for a teaser.... PRICELESS!! :D

fishinmission78
12-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Didn't you know a VS makes everyone a sharpie?

lostatsea
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM

As told by Finchaser:

He was walking off the beach this morning, location Atlantic Ocean. It was 40 degrees, and there was a decent swell to the surf.

The Reel...A VS

The presentation...He was already rigged to fish. The rig consisted of a 4" storm shad on the bottom, and a smaller 2" storm shad for a teaser.... PRICELESS!! :D

:laugh: I saw a guy who looked like that a week ago. It wasn't as cold as 40, but still cold and the surf was big. He didn't have waders then either, and was throwing the same 2 shad setup with the VS. It had to be the same guy. He was running up to the edge after the wave hit the beach, casting quick, and running back from the water like a little girl. Spent all his money on the Vs, none left over to buy waders.

DarkSkies
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
How many times have you heard this?
It's absolutely true when you are throwing plugs or metal sometimes, you have to be able to punch it out to get that extra distance.

What about bait?
What about if you are fishing in a good hole at high tide, and are in the middle of it?
Throw it out in the middle of the hole, perfect spot, right?

Nope!

As related by Finchaser 12/7:

Today a guy is fishin in the middle of a nice wide hole, deep water to 6' right in front of him, good current, enough to draw a bass in there.

He has his clams set up.

Does he throw out into the middle of the hole?

Nope, he walks out onto a jetty, throws the clam to the part of the jetty where sand is built up the highest (shallow water), tosses the clam there, walks back to the beach with the bail open, and sets the rod in the spike.

5 minutes later he gets a skate. :cool:

Moral of the story? Gotta go to the beach at low water and read those cuts, troughs, and holes, people. ;) :learn:

DarkSkies
12-09-2009, 07:15 AM

As told by Finchaser:

The Reel...A VS

Fin spotted this guy a 2nd time a day or so later. Same setup and Timberlands, no waders or waterproof clothes. This time he was fishin solo. He walked out on the bar in OC, water was in the low 50's, got wet and started fishing. He's either incredibly stoic or incredibly brave. Hypothermia is no joke. :kooky:

nitestrikes
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Fin spotted this guy a 2nd time a day or so later. Same setup and Timberlands, no waders or waterproof clothes. This time he was fishin solo. He walked out on the bar in OC, water was in the low 50's, got wet and started fishing. He's either incredibly stoic or incredibly brave. Hypothermia is no joke. :kooky:

I believe that's Darwin's natural process of evolution, or "culling the herd".:D

DarkSkies
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
*Anonymously of course.

We proudly salute those hard core guys who fish every day.:clapping:

Especially the ones who after catching a 34" bass, an admittedly small fish according to their stories, thereafter strap said bass to the top of their cooler instead of placing it inside, and then drive down 9 miles of beach to let everyone else know about their skill level. :wow: :dribble:

Upon reporting their catch at 4 different tackle shops, they somehow can't keep the numbers straight, reporting that they caught anywhere from 15 to 19 short fish that day, in addition to their 34" bass. :don't know why:

We salute you, Mr Tackle shop hero! :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

DarkSkies
12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
OGB told me he might be learning photoshop soon as a way to deal with his dismay over some of the things happening out there in the fishing world.

I thought these might be enough to get ya started Fin, let me know if ya need more. :laugh: ;) :HappyWave:

DarkSkies
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
This report just came in anonymously :HappyWave: I was asked to post it up....

" I had 28 fish to 38" today, no, make that 46", and I kept one of the smaller ones at 38"! I put it on the top of my truck and used a bungee cord so people could see it. It fell off the truck when I stopped short. I measured it again and realized the first measurement was wrong, as the 2nd time it measured 42". That's the one I kept for dinner, and I just want to make sure people know that my reports are always accurate, in case anyone is doubting this."

:ROFLMAO :clapping:

Now if you're looking for more accurate reports that reflect what's really happening out there, here's one someone sent me from yesterday, from an honest angler: :thumbsup:

[one 20" in the sfz this am. I also saw another at 15".]

jigfreak
12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Upon reporting their catch at 4 different tackle shops,

You left out the internet reports, it was also reported to Ristori. As for the bungee cord on the cooler, maybe he is a deer hunter and was practicing for when he gets a big buck.:lookhappy:

nitestrikes
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
OGB told me he might be learning photoshop soon as a way to deal with his dismay over some of the things happening out there in the fishing world.

I thought these might be enough to get ya started Fin, let me know if ya need more. :laugh: ;) :HappyWave:

Ha ha funny stuff Dark keep em coming! I call it the corvette syndrome, a guy doesn't have a lot going on for him so he buys a corvette, and it makes him think he is better thaun he is, or maybe that's the only thing in life that he can do. You never know what the guy's life is like at home, maybe he has a nagging wife, or no wife. It takes all kinds to make this world we live in.

DarkSkies
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Rip was coming home from fishing this morning and told me this story. It had people with different nationalities in it. Those are the kinds of people we fish with all the time. :thumbsup:

It was so funny that I asked him to re-tell it here...

without mentioning the nationalities of the people. We fish with a melting pot of people so I didn't want to single out any one group. We all have a good time joking with and laughing at each other, so I hope anyone reading this understands that. If not, you should come fish with us one day and we'll make fun of you too. ;)

I asked him to post his story below......

rip316
03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Rip was coming home from fishing this morning and told me this story. It had people with different nationalities in it. Those are the kinds of people we fish with all the time. :thumbsup:

It was so funny that I asked him to re-tell it here...

without mentioning the nationalities of the people. We fish with a melting pot of people so I didn't want to single out any one group. We all have a good time joking with and laughing at each other, so I hope anyone reading this understands that. If not, you should come fish with us one day and we'll make fun of you too. ;)

OK. I get down to my spot this morning to see one guy by himself. I say to him "good morning, any room for me?" The guy just mumbled. SO I just stay to myself fishing close to him but not up his arse. :don't know why:

Now two other gentlemen walk to about 40' from me and start gettin ready to fish. They end up leaving their crap all over the place and leave to go fish off to my right.

Now like I said there is this guy and we will call him Ivan Drago. this is the guy from the beginning of the story. I am off to the left and maybe ten feet away but, we have room. :thumbsup:

Now another guy comes up and we will call him Jackie Chan. I have to use the names for a purpose -- please start to get into this story.

Jackie walks right by me an starts to set up right next to Ivan who now looks at me as if to say "what is this guy nuts?" :huh:

OK now it gets good. Jackie standing right next to Ivan rears back ready to cast and Ivan moves out of the way. :scared:
"Good move", I say to him, and now he smirks.

Jackie is rearin back as he gets ready to cast his 11' rod with a mighty heave! Not looking, his rig wraps around something and I am saying to myself " THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE GOOD!" :eek:

As he makes his cast he rips his rig into this thing, the line snaps, the sinker flies off into Ivan's rod, clam is everywhere! :wow:

Jackie looks at Ivan as his rod is on the ground and says "soddi!" :o
Ivan lets loose with " what the eff are you doing?!!!" :burn:
"are you some kind ov an ahole? ( with the whole IVAN DRAGO ACCENT)

I was pissing my pants. Now, Ivan is my boy and tells me what an ahole this guy is. :argue:

After all this I do not realize there is another guy walking up behind me and getting ready to fish. To my utter amazement he puts on a CROCODILE with a piece of clam attached and starts to heave this right by my ear!

I do not need ear jewelry this big people. ;)
So I decide to leave and make my way outta there unscathed. That's my unbelievable story.
strange but true.

jigfreak
03-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Jackie is rearin back as he gets ready to cast his 11' rod with a mighty heave! Not looking, his rig wraps around something and I am saying to myself " THIS ISN'T GOING TO BE GOOD!" :eek:

As he makes his cast he rips his rig into this thing, the line snaps, the sinker flies off into Ivan's rod, clam is everywhere! :wow:

I was pissing my pants. Now, Ivan is my boy and tells me what an ahole this guy is. :argue:

After all this I do not realize there is another guy walking up behind me and getting ready to fish. To my utter amazement he puts on a CROCODILE with a piece of clam attached and starts to heave this right by my ear!

Funny stuff! Gotta love the spring run madness.:kooky:

Pebbles
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
That is a great story.:ROFLMAO

wish4fish
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
:clapping::clapping: hey rip thats some funny stuff right there. we fish in the back too we are bridge and beach rats look out for the stripers that glow in the dark or have the lead bellies from the dumping back there.:scared: and of course you have people from all the immigrant countries and the alcoholics and drug addicts that hang back there cuz they have nothing better to do. i like the part u wrote about the clam earrings, and who the eff puts a clam on a krokodile!

dark when are you fishing wit us or do you have too many things to do now that you are birdman, lol?

vpass
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
OK. I get down to my spot this morning to see one guy by himself. I say to him "good morning, any room for me?" The guy just mumbled. SO I just stay to myself fishing close to him but not up his arse. :don't know why:

Now two other gentlemen walk to about 40' from me and start gettin ready to fish. They end up leaving their crap all over the place and leave to go fish off to my right.

Now like I said there is this guy and we will call him Ivan Drago. this is the guy from the beginning of the story. I am off to the left and maybe ten feet away but, we have room. :thumbsup:

Now another guy comes up and we will call him Jackie Chan. I have to use the names for a purpose -- please start to get into this story.

Jackie walks right by me an starts to set up right next to Ivan who now looks at me as if to say "what is this guy nuts?" :huh:

OK now it gets good. Jackie standing right next to Ivan rears back ready to cast and Ivan moves out of the way. :scared:
"Good move", I say to him, and now he smirks.

I do not need ear jewelry this big people. ;)
So I decide to leave and make my way outta there unscathed. That's my unbelievable story.
strange but true.

This would of made a great video.:ROFLMAO

rip316
03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
The story doesn't do it justice. If you were there you might have pissed yourself.

gjb1969
03-18-2010, 11:08 PM
as it warms up it will only get better with all the weekend fisherman who have no clue :laugh::ROFLMAO

rip316
03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Clam on a croc. Come on. I will be donning my waders again real soon. Like tomorrow. lol.

DarkSkies
03-19-2010, 12:54 AM
This would of made a great video.:ROFLMAO

Now THIS is the fishing drama that people might pay to see. ;)

The story doesn't do it justice. If you were there you might have pissed yourself.

I'm still laughing about it 12 hours later, Rip. :laugh:
I told a few people on the beach the story tonight, and they thought it was hilarious. :lookhappy:

gjb1969
03-19-2010, 01:17 AM
i got i got it cagefighting fisherman brawl at the pier we take as payment plugs and bait:ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
i got i got it cagefighting fisherman brawl at the pier we take as payment plugs and bait:ROFLMAO

If this video below can get over 350,000 views, your idea might have some cred, G. :thumbsup:

wKn2WpvywMg

DarkSkies
03-24-2010, 03:26 PM
This happened recently in a tackle shop, the details were sent to me. I edited some out so the party in question wouldn't recognize themselves.

"A well-known fishing author walks into a tackle shop.
He says to the guy behind the counter 'Hey ***** how are ya? So can you tell me where they're catchin em, and what they're catching them on?'

There are more details that had to be edited out, something about this author bragging of an intel chain more extensive than the CIA." ;)

Moral of the story:
Don't believe everything you read in a book, the guy just might have lifted it from last decade's popular authors. :learn:

bababooey
03-24-2010, 06:36 PM
^ Doesn't the guy have a logbook? Guess not, it's easier to follow the herd than to lead, maybe?

DarkSkies
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Sent in by a surf fisherman, thanks!

1. There was a guy fishing clams, on a bobber, near a river. When asked why he said he didn't want them to get stuck on the bottom and he felt the fish would see them better that way.
I'll send a free plug to the first person who has the ballz to drift clams on a bobber, take a pic of it, and post it here. :eek:

2. Along this same river comes a woman who walks her pet. Only it's not a dog or a cat, it's a pet rabbit, on a dog leash. How does the rabbit know when the woman wants to move along, or pick up the pace? :huh:

joesfishinproblem
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
there are so many lol....i was told by one guy full of great info to freeze my fresh bunker they stay on the hook better :don't know why: i have no idea how that works....

another helpfull fisherman once told me the spook i was usin was too big for any fish around here (i had just caught 7 bass and 5 blues right befor he got there, i thanked him for the info)

speedy
05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Sent in by a surf fisherman, thanks!

1. There was a guy fishing clams, on a bobber, near a river. When asked why he said he didn't want them to get stuck on the bottom and he felt the fish would see them better that way.
I'll send a free plug to the first person who has the ballz to drift clams on a bobber, take a pic of it, and post it here. :eek:

2. Along this same river comes a woman who walks her pet. Only it's not a dog or a cat, it's a pet rabbit, on a dog leash. How does the rabbit know when the woman wants to move along, or pick up the pace? :huh:

a guy walks on the rocks this morning full gear the water had a lot of bait the guy puts on a weighted trouble big hooks the guy let it rip he got out there going to cast 2nd time he whips the rod hard and i hear a screem like a woman. :don't know why: come to find out the guy hooked him self in the a-- :clapping::clapping::clapping: at that time i pissed my pants
i was fishing 6 feet from him i said dude you ok i didnot know he hooked him self at the time the hook came out he didnot get the barb thank god the e.r. would love that one

rip316
05-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I had a guy tell me once as I was fishing a spot that the fishing is pretty good here when they are here.

DarkSkies
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a guy tell me once as I was fishing a spot that the fishing is pretty good here when they are here.

Better than if he had told you that "fishing will only bring you yesterday's fish....as in you had to be here yesterday to catch them" :laugh:
(courtesy of Finchaser)

DarkSkies
05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Someone sent me this comment made by a guy who says he is half-Indian. I've been sent several racist comments, I thought this one was worth mentioning:

["These guys weren't Spanish either. They were either Egyptian or Pakistani. I know this because I am half Indian. Us browns have the ability to distinguish between different browns."]

Really? A little advice here...go back and ask the person you were referring to where he's from. I bet 2 custom plugs that you're entirely off by a continent.

Mad detective skills you got, bro. :rolleyes: :laugh:

The reason for mentioning this is people are very quick to characterize different ethnic groups as being prone to littering or poaching. I've seen both activities committed by all ethnic groups. The one problem I have with the characterization is that there are plenty of white guys who should know better, do know better, and either litter or poach. I've run across poachers in all shapes and sizes.

You might tend to see more poaching from various kinds of people or ethnic groups, I might agree with that if you were keeping a comprehensive log of observations and times, dates, places, etc, and were out there every day making observations.

But there is a danger in characterizing peoples' behavior according to their race.

Ex: I have a good friend who's Asian, fishes almost every day. A white guy reported him to F&G for fishing 3 rods, and harassed him on a jetty, while the white guy had 4 rods he was actively fishing. My friend had done nothing wrong other than fish 3 rods during the middle of the week on an uncrowded jetty. Where's the fairness in that? :don't know why:

And as for the stereotypical issue of Asians poaching blackfish, sure I've heard and seen it. I've been to Chinatown where every conceivable form of fish is for sale, including surf-caught striped bass, and live blackfish.

And I know that some of the guys making weekly trips to sell those live blackfish in the Asian markets are white guys, contractors with slow seasons, guys on Unemployment.

Some of the most arrogant poachers I have come across have had white skin. The sad thing is that they feel their skin color lets them get away with it.

It's a good thing to slam poachers. :clapping:

I speak up every chance I get, and dump poachers' short fish if they're still alive. How many of the internet complainers can say that? But if you wanna slam groups of people, make sure you're looking at them all equally. :plastered:

dogfish
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Some of the most arrogant poachers I have come across have had white skin. The sad thing is that they feel their skin color lets them get away with it.

And they're probably the loudest complainers about other guys poaching, "its the mexicans, bla bla bla."
You folks are crazy down there. Things are a lot quieter up here.:lookhappy:

bluesdude71
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Where's all the fish, how do I get to them, where should I go..... All these plus more belong to the lazy *** guys who wait for everyone else to find the fish.

DarkSkies
09-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I thought about putting this one up in the fishing story of the month, but it's a little foul :upck: so I thought it might fit better here.....

As related to me by one of our members. :HappyWave:

He was on the beach one day last week, at a particular SH beach. This beach was uncrowded, not many surf fishermen, and no bathers.

It was CLOSE to the nude beach at Gunnison, but not exactly.
(Bet ya can guess where I'm going with this story by now) ;)

There was an older guy, in his 50's or so. This guy was built like a beachball, with fat and fat rolls spilling down everywhere.

While we try to be sensitive to fat people here, as many in America are overweight, that doesn't mean ya have to go the beach and show the world all your fat hanging out, and wear a frikkin SPEEDO!! :scared:

So, this portly gentleman is at the beach, while our S&A member is there fishing, minding his own business. :fishing:

The portly guy starts to take his clothes off. It ends up that his bathing suit of choice is a pink speedo! :wow:

To make matters worse, maybe the guy thought he was at the nude beach, maybe he was looking to make "new friends". :naughty:

Whatever the deal, the guy took his speedo off till he was one mess of jolly blubber and nakedness. That would have been bad enough if he just kept to himself.

But this portly fellow was in a chatty mood :plastered: and proceeded to chat up the fishermen fishing on the beach, in nothing but the skin he had on when he entered this world. :eek:

As he was describing the story to me, my fisherman friend's voice trailed off.....I think he was busy :upck::upck:
as those intensely disturbing pictures entered his head as he related them again. :ROFLMAO

My friend left soon after that for another part of the Hook. He reported it to a ranger, who said next time it happened he would come and arrest the guy.

What a way to cap off a morning of fishing. :rolleyes: :kooky:

dogfish
09-19-2010, 12:33 AM
As he was describing the story to me, my fisherman friend's voice trailed off.....I think he was busy :upck::upck:
as those intensely disturbing pictures entered his head as he related them again. :ROFLMAO

Yeah and now my eyes hurt too, thank you so much for posting that and the descriptive pics:beatin: :rolleyes: :moon: :HappyWave:

fishinmission78
09-19-2010, 09:33 AM
If a freaKfag like that ever tried that with me, I would start casting some wild casts, never know what you might accidentally hook.

Monty
09-19-2010, 02:58 PM
How you going to release that?
:eek:

If a freaKfag like that ever tried that with me, I would start casting some wild casts, never know what you might accidentally hook.

ledhead36
09-19-2010, 11:32 PM
^^ I would just cut the line and let that one go!

bababooey
09-19-2010, 11:48 PM
:ROFLMAO :thumbsup:
Catch and release with minimal handling.

plugginpete
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I
So, this portly gentleman is at the beach, while our S&A member is there fishing, minding his own business. :fishing:

The portly guy starts to take his clothes off. It ends up that his bathing suit of choice is a pink speedo! :wow:

To make matters worse, maybe the guy thought he was at the nude beach, maybe he was looking to make "new friends". :naughty:

Whatever the deal, the guy took his speedo off till he was one mess of jolly blubber and nakedness. That would have been bad enough if he just kept to himself.

But this portly fellow was in a chatty mood :plastered: and proceeded to chat up the fishermen fishing on the beach, in nothing but the skin he had on when he entered this world. :eek:

This is sick, it's almost like it was sexual harassment by a gay guy.:kooky:

CharlieTuna
10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
:ROFLMAO :thumbsup:
Catch and release with minimal handling.

Boy I'm sure glad I don't fish in Jersey anymore. I wouldn't be happy with any "handling" at all.:d

DarkSkies
11-03-2010, 07:04 AM
I was walking off the beach the other night. The moon was getting smaller, and the ambient light wasn't that bad if you let your eyes focus in the dark. My eyesight is getting worse as I get older, so I know what it's like to lean on the use of lighting sometimes. ;)

Even so, you always try to be discreet when others are around, or use the red led if you can.

This guy comes on the beach with a 1 million candlepower flashlight. He was waving it around, and we thought he might be having some kind of trouble.

I walked up to him, said "Hey Bud, are you OK? We saw that light from far away, and I was wondering if you needed help?"

He said:
"Nope, the light is just fine, otherwise how could I see in the dark to get to the beach?"

Brilliant, meanwhile he was blinding everyone whose path he came in contact with.

Here's to you, Bud. :clapping: http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon13.gif :bucktooth: :rolleyes:

Monty
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
^^^
Fishing early this past Sunday AM I was amazed at the amount of stupidity shown in the handling of flash lights and whatever they were using to light up an area or to actually look into the surf. Inconsideration running rampant. :bonk:

DarkSkies
11-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Monty, you're a great (and diplomatic) :d observer of people at their worst rudeness and inconsideration. You are so much more diplomatic than I am. I try, but when that doesn't work, I go back to my old ways...:o

The latest mugging story:

I was fishin a beach a few days ago. There was a slow pick of fish until the tide rose. It was crazy fishin for awhile. Then it slowed to a pick again, and gradually petered out.

Somewhere around 10:30am (I think that internet report naming a specific location was posted around 10am that day :burn:) another 200 guys showed up. They showed up so quickly it was like they all came in on the same bus. :laugh:

-One of them starts setting up behind me and the area I was fishin in.
-He hurriedly puts his 14', 3-piece rod together. He clips on a storm shad. :huh:
Everyone else on the beach was using metal.
-(here's where it's important to observe what other anglers are doing, folks. Storm shads are a great peanut bunker profile, when they're around. The dominant bait that morning was sandeels, and you could see some washed up on the beach) http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

-There was 15 feet between me and the guy to my left. The guy on the left was fishin with his buddies, kind of together. They were close friends to a well-known NJ fly tyer.

- There was a strong sweep in the ocean that day, meaning we all had to cast mindful of not getting snagged with the guy next to you. The mugger unceremoniously gets to the beach, squeezes in between us without so much as a nod of "what's up", glance, or any recognition. Bear in mind that the whole 2 mile stretch of beach was productive.

- After a few casts, I turn to him and say, "Hey pal, don't you think you're a little close, there's a big sweep out there, and hard to keep the casts straight."

- His answer: "Well you don't own the ocean, do you?!!"

- I tried to diplomatically explain the sweep again, and that we would get our lines crossed.

- His response: "I didn't see your name on this spot of sand."

- At that point I lost my diplomacy...
The guy next to us and his buddies had been having a few side conversations about our new mugger friend. He chimes in and says: " It's called courtesy and manners, guy"

Still, our mugger has no clue. :don't know why:

So, the diplomat that I am, said:
"I just want you to know, that when we get our lines tangled, and we will with us being so close together, that at that exact moment, I'll be cutting your line, and tossing your rig into the Atlantic. Just wanted to be clear about this, and you understand exactly how this will go down. Any problems with that?" :2flip:

He looked at me like I was Charlie Manson's brother, got quiet, and moved over a bit....:scared:

He had the space to his left because the fly tyer's friends at that point had had enough and got ready to leave.

Later on at for the afternoon bite, I ran into the fly tyer's friends coming to the beach again. I apologized for my harsh words. Maybe I was a little too loud? :o

Nope, my new friend tells me.
He says:
"No way! Someone had to say something, we were just figuring out who was going to be the one to speak to that idiot! I'm glad you spoke up, it was funny as hell, needed to be done. I went and told BP about it, and we laughed for 5 minutes. Thanks!"

So I guess I brightened BP's day. :lookhappy: Maybe one day I'll meet him in person, I heard he ties great flies. :thumbsup:

Moral of the story:
Don't be this guy....
(I'm posting a pic of him as he runs back to the sand to unhook a short fluke he caught on the shad.) The beach is a public area. We all need to share the space. If I run into this guy again, doing the same thing, I'll be glad to share the face pic under my First Amendment rights.

I don't think it's important who he is. I think the important thing is when you get to the beach, look at what others are doing, be respectful, and try not to crowd people. There's plenty of beach to fish from, and even blitzing fish will eventually move down your way.

And I can't stress how important being courteous is. A "Hello" or nod of the head goes a long way. :thumbsup:

I'm not apt to get into conversations with strangers when I'm fishin. Even my close friends, when the bite is on, we don't talk much, it's all about the fishin. But for Pete's sake, remember that a little courtesy goes a long way.

I try to help people whenever I can, especially the newbies to surf fishing. I've helped hundreds over the years, and would give someone the shirt off my back if they needed it more than I.

But rudeness shouldn't be tolerated. The place to deal with it is then and there. If more people spoke up at the time things were happening instead of only ranting on the internet, maybe some people would get the education they need.

And then again, maybe not. :d

surfwalker
11-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Dark, you can only take so much and then you speak or move on. This year has been a difficult one for me as far as doing what I love best, surfcasting, just no time.

In the past I have run into many of these characters and my frustrations have reached the boiling point. At my expense of not catching, I avoid these spots that have been burned to the max. I can't tolerate the inconsideration of some and the loss of enjoyment by the dedicated. Most of the time the inconsiderates are just blitz or spring/fall run types. No idea of the true meaning of surfcasting, just catch at any cost.

I'm afraid it will grow in the future, as the gimme/get me/ I want people grow in numbers. People like the one you met will never understand the meaning of courtesy at the line, they are just out for themselves, shame.

No, I don't own the ocean, but give some distance/consideration and it can be enjoyed by everyone.

fishinmission78
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I would have been cool to him and given him a chance. If he gave me the crap he gave you I would have punched him in the side of the head and asked him if he could see the sweep then. Dark you have more tolerance then me. I have no patience for a-holes like that ****.

jigfreak
11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
:clapping::clapping: Right on. I would have done what fnm did, then beat him with his rod until he ran away. My fishing time is valuable. I won't let a mugger get in my way without confrontation. :kicknuts:

wish4fish
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
ah dark yur too mellow what happened to the old dark, the dark i used to know would have throw that guy in the water yur gettin soft dude, lol

fishinmission78
05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Darkskies comments in another thread reminded me of this. Today at Island Beach, there were these 2 young guys fishing for bass. They each had surf stix, about 10', fishing clams with fishfinder rigs and sinkers. Each of their rods had a VS250 on it. Why the frick do you need a VS when you are fishing for bass with clams? What's worse is that earlier in the season, out in the back bay I saw a few dudes with 8' sticks, fishing for the 24" bass that were back there, with VS reels. Clam fishing from shore for bass with VS reels, what has this world come to? Will you be swimming in the wash as you bring in and release these massive 24" schoolies?

lostatsea
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
The rod (or reel) does not make the fisherman. Too many new guys in the sport seem to think that. Hang around the old salts for a tide or two and you will see different.

wish4fish
05-06-2011, 12:11 AM
yeah dude!! i cant stand the pretty boy fish dudes they look like they should be movie stars and have a makeup artist come with them when they fish in case there hair gets messed up lol. u can catch fish with a ugly stik or a stiff bridge rod u dont need 1000s dollar setups to do it!

ledhead36
05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
yeah dude!! i cant stand the pretty boy fish dudes they look like they should be movie stars and have a makeup artist come with them when they fish

I read something here once in a thread, they called them Orvis Catalog fishermen.:laugh:

jonthepain
05-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I feel bad for his reel

mick2360
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed. I've found that a simple explanation (The fish are right at the shoreline; your headlamp will put them down) will usually do it. Someone who answers "I don't see your name on this piece of beach" is looking for trouble.

I thank the old timers who took the time to explain the basics to me years ago at Robert Moses when I showed up with a 7 ft rod and a Mitchell 303. :)

bababooey
05-08-2011, 06:28 PM
A lot of 'muggings' are the product of ignorance. DS is an educator first and a belligerent SOB only after diplomacy has failed.

Personally I think the guy has gotten too mellow. I liked him better when he was a troublemaker both IRL and on the internet. Those stories were gold, funny, dark was always willing to stick his nose into it, even if "it" turned out to be a big pile of crap! I do agree though, there is no such reasoning with some people. Thats whay I carry a crossbow. When I meet an arrogant person like described, I just take it out and shoot them through the head.:viking: End of problem.;)

nitestrikes
05-08-2011, 06:34 PM
^ A quick kick to their balls or push off the jetty also helps to get the message across too. Only kidding, but you folks are right. After giving some people an explanation, you realize they don't care, and you would have been better smacking them.

DarkSkies
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
(Overheard in a tackle shop)

Hell no, people don't think this way, do they, you ask? :eek:
Yep they do......:laugh:

Some guys came into the shop, asked the owner:
"We want to get into some of the striper blitz action in the surf! We know they are on bunker from the internet reports. Can you sell us a chum log or 2 that we can put out to draw the big stripers in to our fishing poles?"

The shop owner, thankfully, was an honest guy with integrity. He told them he wouldn't sell it to them as it wouldn't work.

Thanks for those around who put honesty before sales. :clapping:

dogfish
06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
He shudda sold them the logs, theres a sucker born every minute ya know!:laugh:

DarkSkies
07-30-2011, 05:12 PM
I've neglected this thread for awhile. Some true gems have come up in the meantime....

Someone called this story in to me-
A few weeks ago, at a popular inlet...

There were a few guys fishing for fluke with bucktails.
Many times it's recommended that you use a teaser to increase your odds.
These guys listened to that advice well, because 18" in front of the bucktail jig, they had a bomber for a "teaser"....:huh: :scared:

DarkSkies
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
^ (More of the above) Some tackle shop somewhere must have mentioned that bombers and metal were working recently, because on one of my trips in the daytime, that's exactly what I saw, a guy using a diamond jig, with a bomber ahead of it.

DarkSkies
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Another interesting thing I saw in the last 2 weeks....

A guy fishes the beach with 2 rods, clamming.
He wears a wetsuit....
Each time he re-baits, he swims out to where he wants to put the clam with the rod and reel, and then casts just a bit further, in chest deep water....
Then, he skishes back to the sand, sits on a bucket,,,,and fishes that clam hard! :kooky: :scared:

finchaser
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
did you question him on why the wet suit and then tell him you don't use one:ROFLMAO

DarkSkies
10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
did you question him on why the wet suit and then tell him you don't use one:ROFLMAO

Googan that I am, I've been fishin in shorts, white socks, and shoes or korkers all summer.
Look up dorks r us on the internet and you'll find my picture there....:bucktooth: :laugh:
Haven't had the waders on since the spring.
Those nights are coming to an end as the water temps will be dropping soon.
I might be looking for a wetsuit this winter......it ain't too cool with the damp and wetness all the time, ya gotta take care of it before fungus starts growing...:scared:

I took a nap in the car last night before I drove home.
Woke up to find myself in wet shorts and underwear....For a moment I had a flashback to the drinking days and thought I had p***ed myself. What a relief to realize the wetness was only from my walks in the surf....;)

jigfreak
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop. I fished the area he's talking about, 5 in the morning till 3 in the afternoon. Got 6 fish to 15lbs. Fish on every cast? He's ******* delusional. No one in that area had a fish on every cast, we had to work for each fish, except for a one hour period around sunrise.

11/25/11 UPDATED 2:36 PM Another EPIC, LEGENDARY day. This run is now starting to rival the November 1985 blitz. All we need now is big bluefish. We had well over 100 bass weighed in today and they were all 11 pounds to 25 pounds.

UPDATED 8:25 AM The parade of fish are starting to come through the door and the bite is on. Nailing them every cast south of the bathing beaches and I'm sure there are plenty of other spots.

fishinmission78
12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop.

"he says he lost count of how many bass he landed before that. He was nailing them solid"

The cow crap turned to elephant crap. There has been a good bite in the morning and some afternoon, but you lost count of how many bass you caught? *TF? Then you are not a true surf fisherman. Every guy I know keeps record of his numbers for the year. You know exactly how many fish you caught every day. Even if you had a great day and got 50, you know if you got 45, 47, 49, 50 or 51. Unless you are a total bullshitter and just make up numbers as you go along, I know a few guys like that. Always add a few extra to their numbers for the day. They think we aren't aware of it. You know who tells the truth and who doesn't out there.

BassBuddah
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I have had 75 bass days/ nights, or a combined total for both day and night at Montauk. Of course that was back when fishing was a lot better, we are talking quite a few years back. Every one of those great ventures is etched in my mind. When I was in a blitz, ech time I caught 10, I would keep that as a block in my mind and start with the numbers 1-10 all over again. That's what worked for me. I agree that most guys are serious know exactly how many they catch every time out. If a person said they lost count I wouldn't take that fellow seriously. There is a friendly competition among the guys I usually fish with or who fish M during the season. Anyone who is known not to be accurate, we really try to ignore them.

We have no shame in our numbers. If we got 1 that day, or even a skunk, we share the intel. No big deal. The statement above soundslike made by someone with a lot of ego and a only a little bit of talent.

DarkSkies
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
What do you think, does this qualify? The hype is so bogus here he must have 5 tons of cow crap on the floors of his shop.

UPDATED 8:25 AM The parade of fish are starting to come through the door and the bite is on. Nailing them every cast south of the bathing beaches and I'm sure there are plenty of other spots.

Jigfreak, I'm always skeptical of the "nailing them on every cast" hype...I think a statement like that is has so many built-in exaggerations it makes it hard for us to believe the person relating it, even if we want to....

I'm going to come back and reference this post at some time in the near future....and despite how much I wanted to use those words, I realized it would be much more effective to document the type of fishing I had....stay tuned....

Huey, Dewey, and Stewie....
(not your average Disney Story) :laugh:

Have been running into some fishermen lately.....the things coming out of their mouths is just incredible.....normally I try to give the new guy a break, but these guys are all sharpies...they all have the VS (almost exact same model), same rod, similar gear.....:)

So naturally, I have to assume they are sharpies.....until you hear them talk....and then the amusement begins.....
These particular 3 are so entertaining that I had to dedicate a separate thread to convey some of the precious gems of thought they have while they're out there, "waiting" for the fish to turn on........

Here you have it....the Hewey, Dewey, and Stewie thread...
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8389-Hewey-Dewey-and-Louie-the-tale-of-3-Surf-Sharpies
All names have been changed to protect the innocent.....
I hope you folks get as much enjoyment out of these as we have...We get to see them in real time.....:rolleyes:

DarkSkies
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
This is a true story, happened 3 days ago. It shows a little of the Mis-guided information and ego out there.......a few specific details have been changed to make it more about the attitude out there, and less about singling out any specific fishermen......Hope you find it as interesting as I did....:HappyWave:

These 2 guys above Tweedle Dum, and Tweedle Dee, somehow happened to get into a conversation with 2 old timers. For ease of typing, these 2 will be referred to as TD...
The old timers will be referred to as SALTS....

SALTS:
"Yep the bunker are along the beaches now, the snag and drop reported some fish to 30# this morning."
TD:
"Wow that's great news! We can get some snag hooks and get some COWS!
:drool: You know that's the only way to get the big girls."

SALTS:
"Well, there are other ways to get big fish, plugging, jigging, finding good structure at night...snag and drop is only part of it. "

TD:
"Don't tell me how to catch big fish. I have been snagging and dropping for 5 YEARS! :plastered: I def know what I'm talking about. I have caught some big COWS that way! You old guys, what do you know?" :2flip:

With that, TD and TD walked away in an arrogant huff, not realizing they had walked away from 2 guys who had over 110 years of fishing the surf, with hundreds of fish over 30#, between them..a few respectful words could have possibly opened the Vault of information these 2 old guys had, decades of catching big fish.....all it would have taken was a few kind, respectful, words.....instead they moved on, with arrogance....:don't know why:

And Boasting that they had been doing it for 5 WHOLE YEARS....:whoo:

DarkSkies
07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
"Catch of the Day"

I was coming off the beach after an all night marathon session....

Full of sweat...
Stinking of many foul odors... (no bathroom for night use where I fish)

The smells and stench emanating from me, after a night of fishing, are something that you don't want to be downwind of...ask Finchaser when he had to have his van professionally cleaned after I sat in it for an hour on the way to a fishing spot....:upck:

There were some college kids sitting on the beach...
One of them says:
"Hey dude did you have any bites?"

Me:
"Nope"...that has become my standard answer,,,learned over the years, no matter whether I catch or not....

Him:
"Well, you're MY catch of the day! " :heart:

Me:
Unsure of how to actually respond to something like that.....:laugh:
"Yeah, whatever, dude..." and kept on walking.......

Different generation I guess, when I grew up I would never say that to another guy....:kooky:

storminsteve
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Haha dark tell me that was probably at 8th Ave!

DarkSkies
10-08-2012, 05:30 PM
^ No Steve, it wasn't 8th Ave. :HappyWave:
I only hope that college kid was drunk when he said that, I felt a little creeped out after he gave me that compliment......:scared:

The latest.gospel truth..a guy coming into a tackle shop., saying he was catching "at least one large bass a night, every night" on plugs.

When asked how large he meant by "large"....

"Oh, about 45 to 50 inches" :kooky:

rip316
10-08-2012, 06:37 PM
That kid wanted to put his pencil popper in ur poop shoot. No men make comments like that to complete strangers. That dude wanted ur *** bro. Hahahahahahha. Drunk or high, it doesn't matter, he wanted the Darkone. Ggggggrrooooossssssss.............

7deadlyplugs
10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
We have a place near Canarsie like that. Gays and hookers at 3am. You do not want to venture into the parking lot without carrying a sharp knife.

storminsteve
10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
That kid wanted to put his pencil popper in ur poop shoot. No men make comments like that to complete strangers. That dude wanted ur *** bro. Hahahahahahha. Drunk or high, it doesn't matter, he wanted the Darkone. Ggggggrrooooossssssss.............

omg this is so damn funny, dark watch out for renegade pencil poppers in the pooper!:ROFLMAO Pencil popper in the pooper, I dare anyone to say that 10 times fast! That was hilarious rip.

jigfreak
10-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread but 8th ave used to have more fishermen there at night. Now if you go there the gays are like **** a roaches. They come scurrying out looking for meat. Even when the lot looked like the back dirt roads in the pine barrens they would be in there. something should really be done. They are disgusting.

UrbanFishingMan
10-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I lose count of bass in Montauk all the time!
sometimes after 30 fish other times it's been fuzzy at 40 fish.
on Monday zeno said we had 50.
It doesn't really matter what the count is.
what matters is the fishing, the surf, the fortitude to climb back on the rock as you get smacked by whitewater.
i have a general idea of how many bass caught but not an exact number. I do remember exactly how many i keep every year for the table.

storminsteve
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I would love to lose count of my fish. Urbanfishingman it sounds like you are having a great year. Do you live near Montauk?

Monty
10-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I would love to lose count of my fish. Urbanfishingman it sounds like you are having a great year. Do you live near Montauk?
I would love to loose count too, lately I have been One Bass Monty.....I don't even have to count...Its like one......

UrbanFishingMan
10-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm in Orient NY
it's a short ride when you take the Shelter Island ferries about 37 miles
driving around through Riverhead sucks! That makes it 65 miles.
Thanks this has been a great year so far!

storminsteve
10-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Orient is that what they call the north fork?

baitstealer
10-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Great reports urban, you sure are lucky!

DarkSkies
10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I do have to say the one night we went fishing and you asked if i had rubbers had me hoping you meant rain gear. Thank god it rained.

Rip that was funny as hell. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that...:clapping: :thumbsup: :ROFLMAO :whoo: :scared: :laugh: :HappyWave: Thanks for the laughs...:clapping:

Thought Rip316 could use some cheer......:HappyWave:
I poke fun at a lot of folks out there...might as well poke fun at myself too....

Yep, I was glad I meant rubbers on your feet, too......:wheeeee:

wish4fish
10-18-2012, 11:36 PM
ha ha i love this!

hookset
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
"when the water temps are 55-60 and the bluefish are here, that gets the bass riled up and aggressive"

Goog statement of the year. The bluefish don't get the bass riled up and aggressive.

It's the water temperature, stupid. Its either that or the fact that when the bluefish are around they chase and chop the bait in pieces causing the bass to move around. This free food laying all over the bottom acts like chum which stimulates the bass to feed. Similar to why we eat more at a buffet table in a restaurant. This blooming genius also doesn't account for the fact that when the water temps are 55-60 that is great for bass. At 40-45 degrees both bass and bluefish are more slow because the colder water slows down there metabolism.

jigfreak
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Read that too hookset. You have to consider the source when you read a statement like that. I take what these internet professors say with a grain of salt. Half of them don't fish often enough to know what they're talking about. The water temperatures are key. If fish are around and it's too cold you won't know it unless you are dragging the bottom with a net. They sit. Thats one reason why fishing the shallow bays are so great after a few sunny days. The fish get a little more stimulated by the rise in temperature and toward the end of the day on a sunny day start moving and circling. Looking for worms, small crabs, grass shrimp, spearing, whatever they can find that's easy to eat.

Bluefish coming in when the bay is cold have less of an effect on the bass feeding as do the temps. Once that temp line starts to trend above 45 degrees, in a steady trend of increases, all the fish in the area will become more active. I have years of logs. Nowhere in them does it show that bluefish get the bass riled up just by showing up. It has everything to do with the right water temperature and the presence or absence of different baits, as you said.

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
This story takes place more than a few dozen miles from the surf but I feel its relevant to the thread.

On opening day trout here in NJ my brother and I were told that we were fishing our spinners wrong and that jerkshads were the way to go because the water temps were still cold. I also saw this "expert" critique other guys and was giving out so much advice that was not asked for. My brother saw him in the parking lot later on and asked him what he caught. His answer was that he only got one follow and that the the trout weren't biting yet because the water was cold and that we should come back and fish later on in the day as the water warms up.

This guy also had more expensive gear on than he knew what to do with.

Here's my catch from that morning.

cowherder
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
I also saw this "expert" critique other guys and was giving out so much advice that was not asked for. My brother saw him in the parking lot later on and asked him what he caught. His answer was that he only got one follow and that the the trout weren't biting yet because the water was cold and that we should come back and fish later on in the day as the water warms up.

This guy also had more expensive gear on than he knew what to do with.

I see that a lot the guys with the highest priced gear think they are the surf gurus. Or they are so cool they won't even talk to you and look down on you because you don't have the right gear.

I was up at sandy hook one night last year. There was a new guy who came out and was casting. You could tell he was new. His casts were a little shaky so what. There was this tall thin guy and his friends with all the latest gear. They were pointing to the new guy and making a few jokes about him and cackling like a bunch of hens. They also made fun that he didn't have the right surf gear on. I thought it strange that this tall guy and his friends made fun of the newby because someone told me the tall guy is deaf? If he is handicapped why wouldn't he at least have a little understanding what its like to be picked on?

Where does it say that just because you have all the right gear you have the right to bash on someone who doesn't? I hate that attidude. Elitist a-holes!

btw jbarbosa those are some nice trout there! Did you end up catching them with spinners?

madcaster
04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
a few years ago I went to one of my spots were blues were hanging out. I pull up and there 3 guys putting on waders ....they have there fancy rods and reels and brand name surf bags. I get out and say hello ....only one guys says hello. mean while I have shorts on ,water shoes and a t-shirt. the weather was in the Hight 70. I have a pocket full of lures and that's it. I walk to the water and start catching blues left and right. 15 min later these guys get to the water ...there catching as well , they all have there surf bags on there shoulders and waders on. but they never walk into the water. I'm standing in the water up to my ankles ...keeping my feet cool. enjoying my time fishing. These guys look like they were just showing off all there stuff they had. It was to warm for waders if your standing on the edge of the water. Kept thinking to my self :why put on waders if your not going in to the water ?

J Barbosa
04-14-2013, 07:49 PM
btw jbarbosa those are some nice trout there! Did you end up catching them with spinners?

Inline spinner - mepps

a few years ago I went to one of my spots were blues were hanging out. I pull up and there 3 guys putting on waders ....they have there fancy rods and reels and brand name surf bags. I get out and say hello ....only one guys says hello. mean while I have shorts on ,water shoes and a t-shirt. the weather was in the Hight 70. I have a pocket full of lures and that's it. I walk to the water and start catching blues left and right. 15 min later these guys get to the water ...there catching as well , they all have there surf bags on there shoulders and waders on. but they never walk into the water. I'm standing in the water up to my ankles ...keeping my feet cool. enjoying my time fishing. These guys look like they were just showing off all there stuff they had. It was to warm for waders if your standing on the edge of the water. Kept thinking to my self :why put on waders if your not going in to the water ?

LOL

I'm like you once it gets hot those day trips are done in shorts unless its really windy and your legs get blasted by sand. I rather freeze my toes in the water than sweat in waders.

DarkSkies
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Here's the latest true story between 2 guys who know each other....was related to me the other day....and the "de-friending" happened recently. I regret that I can't go into any more specifics as the guy who made the statement below is pretty well-known.....
" If you buy from this tackle shop/vendor/associate with that fishing guy I don't like.... I will de-friend you on facebook" :scared: :ROFLMAO

As the years go by I feel less and less of an identity with the internet generation...
When I was younger, when 2 guys didn't like each other, they punched each other in the face, had a short fistfight..:bonk:...and after that, either became friends again or went their separate ways........that tells me my memories must be back from cave man times....because things are so different now...:kooky:

rockhopper
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
^^^^^That is so childish I won't be your facebook friend lol.

hookset
05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
"Could use a little NE wind to get this bite started out front. Fish are there but mouths are closed."

This is the same dude who can only catch a bass from a boat. His last report I posted in the meatmen thread and he hasn't caught a bass since may2.
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?9000-MEAT-Men-of-New-Jersey/page3
Yep that's the ticket, northeast wind.:rolleyes: The SE wind last night shut the bite down and the NE isn't much better. How about you recognize the fact that maybe you just can't catch fish from the surf?

surferman
05-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I thought about putting this one up in the fishing story of the month, but it's a little foul :upck: so I thought it might fit better here.....

As related to me by one of our members. :HappyWave:

He was on the beach one day last week, at a particular SH beach. This beach was uncrowded, not many surf fishermen, and no bathers.

It was CLOSE to the nude beach at Gunnison, but not exactly.
(Bet ya can guess where I'm going with this story by now) ;)

There was an older guy, in his 50's or so. This guy was built like a beachball, with fat and fat rolls spilling down everywhere.

While we try to be sensitive to fat people here, as many in America are overweight, that doesn't mean ya have to go the beach and show the world all your fat hanging out, and wear a frikkin SPEEDO!! :scared:

My friend left soon after that for another part of the Hook. He reported it to a ranger, who said next time it happened he would come and arrest the guy.

What a way to cap off a morning of fishing. :rolleyes: :kooky:

:ROFLMAOI read this post and had tears in my eyes! Didn't know the gays could be so forward up there. fishinmission and monty liked your answers too!

surferman
05-19-2013, 11:42 AM
a guy walks on the rocks this morning full gear the water had a lot of bait the guy puts on a weighted trouble big hooks the guy let it rip he got out there going to cast 2nd time he whips the rod hard and i hear a screem like a woman. :don't know why: Come to find out the guy hooked him self in the a-- :clapping::clapping::clapping: At that time i pissed my pants
i was fishing 6 feet from him i said dude you ok i didnot know he hooked him self at the time the hook came out he didnot get the barb thank god the e.r. Would love that one

lol!

basshunter
05-25-2013, 09:47 PM
May 24 report from B&N. Sorry guy but I have never had bass so thick they were running into my line unless it was a blitz, or montauk. The day of this report the seas were 5 feet and the wind was 25mph steady. Odds are the bunker were there and the guy was tapping bunker thought they were bass. Genius!

"on our Facebok site reports, "As your first customer today this early bird got the worm and a lot more. Already got 11 bass including this keeper and 3 blues on plugs at first light. Bass were so thick I could feel my plug running into them and foul hooked 3 of them. Awesome fishing so far today."

buckethead
11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
"Now we all need is a good E to push bait and fish within casting range from the beach."

The know it alls of the internet. This was from a report today. The poster claims to be the oracle of surf fishing, so stuck up. Fish are in the surf but he was on a boat? This just galls me if he was fishing the surf he would know sandeels have been washing up on the beach every morning for weeks. The only way to know that is get out there. I love the internet it makes some of these folks seem like they actually know something. The fish are already there.

hookset
11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
^^I read that report. That dude thinks he is the epitome of surfcasters. He knows everything and every time he goes out to fish the surf he gets a 20# fish or better. According to his reports he has never gotten skunked in his life. No one is that good. I remember the year before last he was sarcastically claiming how he got tangled up with a googan at the hook and made fun of the kid for wearing shorts in sept when all the other surf dudes were wearing the waders. That kid he made fun of was a friend of my neighbors son. He marched right back on the internet and took a shot at the old dude. He backed down and then he stopped the sarcastic commments. As far as I am concerned he is a sarcastic prik. Internet know it all is right. No one catches fish all the time out there, and every report this dude posts he is bailing them. Not even finchaser or the old timers referred to here could be that good.

Sorry for the rambling I hate sarcastic priks like that and he should be glad I wasn't there when he dissed my neighbor's son like that.
Yes the sandeels are all over I have been seeing them too but not much fish on them.

bababooey
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
There is a guy right now on cam fishing the north pocket of the manasquan inlet. looks like he is shirtless or just wearing a short sleeve and shorts with a baseball cap on. bare feet. you surf guys are totally nuts!:kooky:
http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web-cam.php

storminsteve
11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Haha he must have got blue balls or rethought his fishing plan and left. Just checked the camera and there is no one there in shorts now. bababooey last year around this time I saw some guy get in the water and go swimming for 5 minutes. He was probably a member of the polar bear club.

hookset
04-05-2014, 11:49 AM
:bucktooth:elitist of the week- what a POS the person who said this is. Is the bucket brigade the only ones who litter? Have seen many other types littering during the spring blitzes.

"the 5 gallon 8 rod brigade ,who in my opinion are the main reason we lose access to once great fishing spots .Catch & release ? Fuggetaboutit!!!!! They cater to these people.Unfortunately they are the only show in town. the fact remains they detract from the whole expierence.Assorted trash ,unwanted bait and unsocial behavior is the norm in my expierence"

basshunter
04-05-2014, 11:56 AM
:bucktooth:elitist of the week- what a POS the person who said this is. Is the bucket brigade the only ones who litter? Have seen many other types littering during the spring blitzes.

". the fact remains they detract from the whole expierence.Assorted trash ,unwanted bait and unsocial behavior is the norm in my expierence"

So ironic. The guy that comes across as being holier than the bucket brigade he is putting down can't even spell the word experience. He mis-spells it twice!

VSdreams
08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
How about rod angle. Does this qualify?

jigfreak
10-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Love that rod lean, VS. Bet the guy was a PA meat fisherman.;)

jigfreak
10-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Just read this on the net. Idiot of the year-
"I just hope the storm replaces the small stripers I keep catching most nights with some decent sized ones." :ROFLMAO

Yes Junior in internet land anything is possible.
Here's how it works -
During the storm, the surf fishing fairies fly all around surf land, especially where you like to fish.
They sprinkle magical fairy dust all over the ocean, thousands of tons of it.
In that fairy dust is a super growth hormone - any striper that is within 1/2mile of a crystal of fairy dust is magically transformed in size.
The 24" bass turn into 24 pounders.
30 inch turn into 30 pounders. And so on.
Pretty soon the ocean then becomes so filled with stripers that everyone is catching them, even the dillys that are complaining about catching small bass.
Then, in the morning, when you go to the WaWa to get your coffee after a night of fishing, you look at the newspaper and see it is October 17, 1990, when the striped bass were fully recovered.
How the frick do you think we will get more stripers? Do they come from heaven made by Keebler elves?:kooky:
SMH at some of the stupidity out there. Pay attention dudes half the bass are gone. Open your eyes instead of focusing on the Iphone 24/7 and you might see that.

storminsteve
10-16-2014, 04:45 PM
hahahahahahah!:clapping::clapping:
Damn jig you nailed it! Whining little sissies! Oh should I fish after the storm? Oh please tell me the water color does it have a churlish hue?
Oh could someone please go down to the water and put their finger in it and tell me the temperature? Can someone cast a line in the water for me and tell me if any stripers are there? These wannabees are the new generation. It's like "I want to become a striped bass sharpie. Is there an app for that?" lol

strikezone31
10-16-2014, 05:46 PM
"I want to become a striped bass sharpie. Is there an app for that?" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ4uDked0k

Monty
10-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Just read this on the net. Idiot of the year-
"I just hope the storm replaces the small stripers I keep catching most nights with some decent sized ones." :ROFLMAO

Yes Junior in internet land anything is possible.
Here's how it works -
During the storm, the surf fishing fairies fly all around surf land, especially where you like to fish.
They sprinkle magical fairy dust all over the ocean, thousands of tons of it.
In that fairy dust is a super growth hormone - any striper that is within 1/2mile of a crystal of fairy dust is magically transformed in size.
The 24" bass turn into 24 pounders.
30 inch turn into 30 pounders. And so on.
Pretty soon the ocean then becomes so filled with stripers that everyone is catching them, even the dillys that are complaining about catching small bass.
Then, in the morning, when you go to the WaWa to get your coffee after a night of fishing, you look at the newspaper and see it is October 17, 1990, when the striped bass were fully recovered.
How the frick do you think we will get more stripers? Do they come from heaven made by Keebler elves?:kooky:
SMH at some of the stupidity out there. Pay attention dudes half the bass are gone. Open your eyes instead of focusing on the Iphone 24/7 and you might see that.

:ROFLMAO
Awesome!!

VSdreams
10-17-2014, 08:56 AM
^^^^ :clapping:Love it! Keep em coming. Up next, the handbook for the striper report chaser lol.

fishinmission78
10-17-2014, 03:56 PM
JF that is so like the typical striper fishermen you meet today on the beach. Anyone 22 and under. Spot on and funny too.

jigfreak
10-30-2014, 06:26 PM
I'll take NE 20-30 mph in my face any day and night...

Tons of fish should be blown into our area.
Another newbie know it all. The northeeast storms ruins any pattern of good fishing that develops. whats sad is the guy who said this casted over my line repeatedly in the Spring after I warned him not to. This was during that 10 day period when we had a shot at big fish in MoCo. He never fishes alone - usually with a posse of surfcasters who all dress identlcally alike. Then every post he makes you would think he is the oracle of surfcasting. He might have been surfcasting for about 5 years now. Unbelievable.:don't know why:

seamonkey
10-31-2014, 06:44 PM
I guess everyone needs there 15 minutes of fame on the internet.

ledhead36
04-28-2015, 05:17 PM
"Theres no such thing as luck with blues. If they are in the area u are fishing they will eat anything."

idiot of the week.
This is a heads up to the fishermen that the blues are now here in full force in rb. So far they are hitting clams and bunker. Have only seen one person catch them on a lure so far and lots of guys trying. So obviously they will not eat anything. You can't fix stupid.

DarkSkies
05-04-2016, 10:15 AM
I have a lot of stories from the last 6 weeks of fishing... Not much time lately.
These are just two teasers, I'll post the details when I get a moment....
1. The guy I met at an undisclosed Inlet, who claims he fishes three times a day, has caught tons of bass this year, "in the hundreds", and also has (4) 50 pound bass to his name "so far this year".

2. The rich kid I met recently, driving his mother's brand new car, noticed at 1 a.m. in the morning was out there using A7 foot trout rod with a rubber eel on it.
He was adamant that he was catching fluke every night, even though the season is not open.
That's believable this time of year, but he said he was getting them "to 36 inches".

Truth is stranger than fiction, folks.

jigfreak
05-04-2016, 01:05 PM
That #1 above.
was his name Johnny bucktails? LOL

finchaser
05-04-2016, 07:23 PM
I have a lot of stories from the last 6 weeks of fishing... Not much time lately.
These are just two teasers, I'll post the details when I get a moment....
1. The guy I met at an undisclosed Inlet, who claims he fishes three times a day, has caught tons of bass this year, "in the hundreds", and also has (4) 50 pound bass to his name "so far this year".

2. The rich kid I met recently, driving his mother's brand new car, noticed at 1 a.m. in the morning was out there using A7 foot trout rod with a rubber eel on it.
He was adamant that he was catching fluke every night, even though the season is not open.
That's believable this time of year, but he said he was getting them "to 36 inches".

The night produces strange people including YOU :HappyWave:

Don't forget I have waders for you

hookset
05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Prob coke or meth addict.

Rip-Plugger
05-21-2017, 12:39 AM
"Theres no such thing as luck with blues. If they are in the area u are fishing they will eat anything."

idiot of the week.
This is a heads up to the fishermen that the blues are now here in full force in rb. So far they are hitting clams and bunker. Have only seen one person catch them on a lure so far and lots of guys trying. So obviously they will not eat anything. You can't fix stupid.that is very true,I have seen when they would not hit anything on top but,will slam a swimmer subsurface,then I have seen when they would not chase a surface plug but will slam a swimmer on top slow.
I believe water temp has something to do with it.
early in the season they normally behave like that if the water is below 55-57f.
at any rate,I know they will not eat "anything".

DarkSkies
05-26-2017, 09:25 PM
So glad to see you guys paying attention.....it's sad when a large % of fishermen claim "bluefish will hit anything".
Roddy, I have had many nights when the only way to catch them was to **** them off....aggressively working a popper to bring them into striking range....

I have documented this temperature change in (spring) bluefish behavior.....(for hitting plugs and topwater artificials at night)..... as happening at around 60 degrees......when it's below that, mid to low 50's. I have seen the topwater artificial bite turn off like a light switch...This is just my experience, yours may be different.
More about the bluefish migration here:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?8378-Stripers-amp-Anglers-Education-Series-Understanding-Bluefish-Migration

Have also sometimes done better with bucktails, metal and rubber...catching bluefish at the lower temps. Early season, I have found bluefish to be very picky, most notably at night......when they are not aggressively feeding on something.....I'm glad to see you noticed it as well. :HappyWave:

jigfreak
04-22-2018, 11:07 AM
"Usually the magic number for bass to go after lures in the spring is 60 degrees water temperature."

Read this on the net the other day. Gee, I have been catching stripers on lures and rubber at night as long as the temp is 45 and above. If this guy is waiting for 60 degrees he is missing out. Idiots abound.

storminsteve
04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
"Usually the magic number for bass to go after lures in the spring is 60 degrees water temperature."

Read this on the net the other day.

That's the first clue to the info. Internet professors are everywhere. Some of them dont even fish!:kooky:

plugcrazy
04-22-2018, 12:48 PM
x2!

seamonkey
04-26-2018, 12:58 PM
That's the first clue to the info. Internet professors are everywhere. Some of them dont even fish!:kooky:

lmao. The net makes everyone a striper expert!