PDA

View Full Version : Tonights SE wind...

Simp
12-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Guys, you think this blow from the SE, and they're predicting a pretty hefty one (up to 30kts), will do anything to help us, or will it hurt us? I think that if it'll kick up the surf and give us a little white-water and some current around those bars and cuts, it may be the ticket to some bass.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for playing!

Simp

DarkSkies
12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
That's a great question and good idea for a thread, Simp. :thumbsup:

IMO in the next 48 hours, the bait will be one of the key factors in fishing success. Bait, specifically small peanuts, have just arrived in large enough numbers that they could draw some decent fish to the surf. Right now they're not moving south at the speed they usually do. There is also a large amount of other bait, very small, that has been staging in certain areas. This bait might be rainfish or something else, at most 1 to 1 1/2" long.

The peanuts came in yesterday to some beaches with the w wind, and slid offshore for the night. If they stay near shore, a few guys like you and Finchaser, who fish almost every day, might be verrrrrry happy. ;)

IMO once the winds start howling from the SE they'll gradually move offshore once again out of our reach. And a SE will make the water dirty and colder as it progresses. Sandeels don't like dirty water, so they'll slide offshore as well.

So we have a window here, the question is how long will that window be open?

plugcrazy
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
I never have luck in dirty water, but the white water is my friend.

I agree with Dark, I hope the window is open long enough for me to get my catch of the year.

voyager35
12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I hate S and SE. The water turns into chocolate milk and gets very cold. In the summer it turns the bluefish on but that's about it. I mostly fish from a boat, so I can move around and look for clearer water when the surf is churned up. The few times I fished in the surf when it was too bad to take the boat out I have not done welll with the SE.

storminsteve
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I think if there is bait guys could get into a good bite right before.

jigfreak
12-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I wish I could tell my boss to go to hell and was out there right now! Look at the surf, flat as a lake. There is probably fish eating right now because they know the storm is coming. :dribble::fishing:

Late Afternoon: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 56. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tonight: Periods of rain, with thunderstorms also possible after midnight. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 52. Windy, with a south wind 11 to 14 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Thursday: Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 62. Windy, with a west wind between 20 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 41. West wind between 10 and 17 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49. West wind between 8 and 10 mph.

hookset
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Another storm for the books. I heard winds around 50mph.

storminsteve
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Thur into fri looks good tho.:)

finchaser
12-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I hate S and SE. The water turns into chocolate milk and gets very cold. In the summer it turns the bluefish on but that's about it. I mostly fish from a boat, so I can move around and look for clearer water when the surf is churned up. The few times I fished in the surf when it was too bad to take the boat out I have not done welll with the SE.

What^^^^he said

DarkSkies
12-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I think we lucked out this time as opposed to the prolonged NE patterns of past weeks. It blew hard and rained for a few tough hours last night. The drop in barometric pressure could have been the stimulus that put the fish on the feed. The sandeels stayed inshore, as the real strong SE gusts only lasted a few hours, Then, by early morning, the wind turned W again.
Congrats to the nutcases that were out there in front of that, ya got rewarded. ;) :thumbsup:

It didn't dirty up the water early today, but by the end of the day water dumping out of the inlets was dirty and added some chocolate color.

I'm hoping that by tomorrow that will be minimized. In any event the sandeels are still inshore according to a lot of reports I got today.

Gotta give Simp some credit for posing the right question, at the right time. :thumbsup:

stripercrazy
12-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I think we lucked out this time as opposed to the prolonged NE patterns of past weeks. It blew hard and rained for a few tough hours last night. The drop in barometric pressure could have been the stimulus that put the fish on the feed. The sandeels stayed inshore, as the real strong SE gusts only lasted a few hours, Then, by early morning, the wind turned W again.

Exactamundo!